Author Topic: Pats get CB Springs, WR Lewis  (Read 2391 times)

Pats get CB Springs, WR Lewis
« on: March 05, 2009, 03:53:43 PM »

Offline Stu

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 44
The Pats have landed CB Shawn Springs in free agency and WR Greg Lewis in a trade.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

I wonder how much Springs has left in the tank, and if Lewis can finally break out.

Re: Pats get CB Springs, WR Lewis
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 04:19:22 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
As a die hard Eagles' fan, I can tell you first hand that Greg Lewis is an abysmally bad football player.  Terribly, horribly bad.  Only the fact that the Eagles attempted 60 passes per game allowed him to garner any statistics at all.  On any other NFL team, he would never get off the practice squad.

That being said, the Eagles also jettisoned Jabar Gaffney.  And somehow the Pats got decent production out of that guy.  So maybe Greg Lewis will surprise us all.  I highly doubt it though.  He's really that awful.

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 05:54:58 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
As a die hard Eagles' fan, I can tell you first hand that Greg Lewis is an abysmally bad football player.  Terribly, horribly bad.  Only the fact that the Eagles attempted 60 passes per game allowed him to garner any statistics at all.  On any other NFL team, he would never get off the practice squad.

That being said, the Eagles also jettisoned Jabar Gaffney.  And somehow the Pats got decent production out of that guy.  So maybe Greg Lewis will surprise us all.  I highly doubt it though.  He's really that awful.
The Brady/Belichick combo has a knack for turning mediocre receivers into solid ones. Of course, the inevitable next step in this process is free agency, when there's always a team out there that's stupid enough to overpay for a guy whose only solid years came while he was with Brady and Bill. See Branch, Givens, Patten, Caldwell, and now Gaffney.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 06:31:30 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
It is interesting that the Pats traded for Lewis.  Prior to the trade, I thought there was a decent possibility that the Pats take a WR on the first day of the draft, but now that seems less likely (although you never know with BB...).
Celtics fan for life.