Poll

Who you got at #14? (players are listed in random order)

Tyrell Terry
13 (24.5%)
Patrick Williams
6 (11.3%)
Precious Achiuwa
4 (7.5%)
R.J. Hampton
4 (7.5%)
Aleksej Pokusevski
3 (5.7%)
Saddiq Bey
5 (9.4%)
Jalen Smith
4 (7.5%)
Aaron Nesmith
8 (15.1%)
Kira Lewis Jr.
3 (5.7%)
Cole Anthony
2 (3.8%)
other (please name below and I'll include him in the poll)
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Who You Got with the 14th Pick? (Poll added)  (Read 117042 times)

Re: Who You Got with the 14th Pick?
« Reply #300 on: September 22, 2020, 01:13:40 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
There’s some interesting information in this article.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2909528-2020-nba-draft-buying-or-selling-latest-rumors

It says that RJ Hampton’s jump shot has improved a lot since he’s last played.  I could see Ainge being interested in him.

It also says Jalen Smith’s stock has been rising and that he could be a possibility for the Celtics at 14.

The info that teams may be trying to trade down is interesting. There are some good solid players in that 5-10 range. This could be a very active draft.

There are rumors the Pistons might want out of the 7th pick and would trade down. At least, some pistons fans are advocating for it. If that’s available, there are a few players who are interesting - Vassel, Okongwu, Hayes. If any one of them pans out, they might fit in very nicely a couple years from now alongside prime-age Tatum and Brown.

That would be great, but also think it sounds too good to be true for the Celtics. Is 14+26+30 => 7?

Wonder if the Celtics try to trade up would they make Langford or Grant Williams available (Edwards certainly)?

Grant is the only one I’d hesitate to trade. If it was necessary for the deal and the Cs were convinced one of these guys is special, seems worth it. That’s kind of a cop-out, but’s it’s a pretty routine story that teams learn a lot in the meetings and workouts.

If they think these guys are just role players, probably not.

I wouldn't trade trade Grant also

Okongwu is considered a super role type.  Not sold on his perimeter game. 

If Wiseman drops to 7, thats another story.   He has AD lite type potential.

Wiseman is the most intriguing player in this draft. He's just so big and athletic. He has amazing physical gifts and if he has the work ethic to go with it he could really be an excellent player.
He really could be anything. Exciting, but also terrifying potential. He could be literally anything from an Anthony Davis / Jermaine O'Neal type to a JaVale McGee

Very little to judge from but he shoots free-throws well and he's a physical freak. Yeah, he could have so many outcomes but if The Celtics can trade up and grab him I think it would be worth the risk.

« Reply #301 on: September 22, 2020, 03:18:44 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2909528-2020-nba-draft-buying-or-selling-latest-rumors

It says that RJ Hampton’s jump shot has improved a lot since he’s last played.  I could see Ainge being interested in him.

It also says Jalen Smith’s stock has been rising and that he could be a possibility for the Celtics at 14.

The info that teams may be trying to trade down is interesting. There are some good solid players in that 5-10 range. This could be a very active draft.

There are rumors the Pistons might want out of the 7th pick and would trade down. At least, some pistons fans are advocating for it. If that’s available, there are a few players who are interesting - Vassel, Okongwu, Hayes. If any one of them pans out, they might fit in very nicely a couple years from now alongside prime-age Tatum and Brown.

That would be great, but also think it sounds too good to be true for the Celtics. Is 14+26+30 => 7?

Wonder if the Celtics try to trade up would they make Langford or Grant Williams available (Edwards certainly)?

Grant is the only one I’d hesitate to trade. If it was necessary for the deal and the Cs were convinced one of these guys is special, seems worth it. That’s kind of a cop-out, but’s it’s a pretty routine story that teams learn a lot in the meetings and workouts.

Wiseman is the most intriguing player in this draft. He's just so big and athletic. He has amazing physical gifts and if he has the work ethic to go with it he could really be an excellent player.
He really could be anything. Exciting, but also terrifying potential. He could be literally anything from an Anthony Davis / Jermaine O'Neal type to a JaVale McGee

Very little to judge from but he shoots free-throws well and he's a physical freak. Yeah, he could have so many outcomes but if The Celtics can trade up and grab him I think it would be worth the risk.
I tend to agree. Swing for the fences with a guy who could be genuinely elite (if he falls), and with the second rounder try and get a safe player ready to contribute immediately (like Ojeleye)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #302 on: September 22, 2020, 05:27:22 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

I tend to agree. Swing for the fences with a guy who could be genuinely elite (if he falls), and with the second rounder try and get a safe player ready to contribute immediately (like Ojeleye)
Don't see the AD comparison to be honest. AD can switch ball screens on the perimeter, plus he can defend the pick n roll. Wiseman can do neither of these things. He's also a way below average passer. Obviously, he's a terrific rim protector.

My comps for Wiseman would be DeAndre Jordan/Hassan Whiteside/JaVale McGee with a jump shot.

If you ask me, Wiseman would be a bad fit in our system. I'd be very sceptical about trading up for him.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 08:45:12 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #303 on: September 22, 2020, 08:38:13 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Don't see the AD comparison to be honest. AD can switch ball screens on the perimeter, plus he can defend the pick n roll. Wiseman can do neither of these things. Obviously, he's a terrific rim protector.

My comps for Wiseman would be DeAndre Jordan/Hassan Whiteside/JaVale McGee with a jump shot.

If you ask me, Wiseman would be a bad fit in our system. I'd be very sceptical about trading up for him.
I suspect this may be his true upside which is not someone a team trades up for.  if there was a decent chance he could be AD-lite as mentioned previously, he'd be the top pick in this weak draft

« Reply #304 on: September 22, 2020, 08:59:33 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Don't see the AD comparison to be honest. AD can switch ball screens on the perimeter, plus he can defend the pick n roll. Wiseman can do neither of these things. Obviously, he's a terrific rim protector.

I suspect this may be his true upside which is not someone a team trades up for.  if there was a decent chance he could be AD-lite as mentioned previously, he'd be the top pick in this weak draft

If we knew we were getting DeAndre Jordan with a jump shot, I'd definitely move up from 14.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #305 on: September 22, 2020, 09:02:53 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Considering so many of us want to go big in the first round, with the likes of Achiuwa, Smith and bigger wings being thrown around, what do people think of potentially going for an unconventional guard in the 2nd round? Specifically Skylar Mays.

Strengths:
  • Big-bodied nimble guard: finishes quite craftily around the rim, one of the deadliest spin moves in all of CBB
  • Secondary playmaker ability: has the positional versatility we so highly praise here, and with our plethora of on-ball playmakers this skillset could be handy - most effective PnR player in all CBB (in terms of points per possession
  • Solid and improving shooter: 39% on a healthy amount of attempts from 3, he's also pretty clutch with creating jumpshots off the dribble
  • Good defender: not overly athletic, but manages to generate good timely steals regardless. Also has a great understanding on defence and uses his imposing strength for a guard to good effect

Weaknesses:
  • Not a shot-creator in general: his ability to make his own offence isn't too good, even at the college level. Hampered further by a slow first step
  • Likes to gamble: despite good BBIQ he does love to gamble on plays. Sometimes pays off, sometimes does not
  • Doesn't have genuine PG passing skills: reminds me of Wanamaker in this regard. More willing of a passer than Wanamaker, but just doesn't have great vision for advanced passing

Bit of E'Twaun Moore / Dellavedova about him. Given how many older aged guys we seem to take in the 2nd feel like he could be a chance.

« Reply #306 on: September 22, 2020, 09:06:43 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
If you draft a high level big man who is a good athlete and has good skills, why do they sometimes turn out like WCS? Some might say motor. I've never had a problem with WCS's motor when I watched him.

I think it's an essentially Daniel Theis/Al Horford type quality. Being big isn't enough. Being a great athlete isn't enough. Blocking shots isn't enough. Having a decent jumpshot isn't enough. All those things are helpful, but the wide chasm between a player like Theis and WCS is the feel for the game.

Great big men are connected to ball-handlers. They know how screen, switch sides of the screen, short roll, lob roll, fade, rescreen, and pop. When they get the ball, they have a great feel for when to swing it, when to attack, when to shoot, and when to reset with a handoff.

Good big men today function in much the same way as a point guard from 20-30 years ago functioned. They keep the ball moving primarily, but they attack when there is an opening.

That's my trepidation with Wiseman. I don't care about scholarship issues. From what I've watched, I don't think there are motor issues. I like his touch. He's a great athlete. I think he demonstrates a really good feel offensively (when he has the ball) and a pretty good feel defensively. In both of those ways, I think he will be way ahead of where DeAndre Jordan was when he came into the league.

But the difference between Wiseman being worthy of a top 10 pick or not is his feel. There's almost no highlights demonstrating he has the ability to play the modern NBA big man role offensively. That doesn't mean he can't--it just means there isn't much evidence on it.

« Reply #307 on: September 22, 2020, 09:30:48 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
If you draft a high level big man who is a good athlete and has good skills, why do they sometimes turn out like WCS? Some might say motor. I've never had a problem with WCS's motor when I watched him.

I think it's an essentially Daniel Theis/Al Horford type quality. Being big isn't enough. Being a great athlete isn't enough. Blocking shots isn't enough. Having a decent jumpshot isn't enough. All those things are helpful, but the wide chasm between a player like Theis and WCS is the feel for the game.

Great big men are connected to ball-handlers. They know how screen, switch sides of the screen, short roll, lob roll, fade, rescreen, and pop. When they get the ball, they have a great feel for when to swing it, when to attack, when to shoot, and when to reset with a handoff.

Good big men today function in much the same way as a point guard from 20-30 years ago functioned. They keep the ball moving primarily, but they attack when there is an opening.

That's my trepidation with Wiseman. I don't care about scholarship issues. From what I've watched, I don't think there are motor issues. I like his touch. He's a great athlete. I think he demonstrates a really good feel offensively (when he has the ball) and a pretty good feel defensively. In both of those ways, I think he will be way ahead of where DeAndre Jordan was when he came into the league.

But the difference between Wiseman being worthy of a top 10 pick or not is his feel. There's almost no highlights demonstrating he has the ability to play the modern NBA big man role offensively. That doesn't mean he can't--it just means there isn't much evidence on it.
I think a lot depends on the scenario said athletic big men are drafted into. Does WCS pan out different if he played alongside Chris Paul or James Harden as a young player? What about if he hadn't played behind DeMarcus Cousins? Hard to tell.

« Reply #308 on: September 22, 2020, 09:59:28 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas

I think a lot depends on the scenario said athletic big men are drafted into. Does WCS pan out different if he played alongside Chris Paul or James Harden as a young player? What about if he hadn't played behind DeMarcus Cousins? Hard to tell.

That is true. No disagreement here. I wasn't picking on WCS specifically. A player's development is a combination of external (organization) and internal (motivation) factors. He was just an example of a player with immense potential and athleticism (like Wiseman) taken in the lottery that didn't pan out. Henson, Len, Noel, Noguiera, Deyonte Davis, and others are examples of the same issue in the modern NBA. It's even one of the main problems I see with Myles Turner's offensive development.

« Reply #309 on: September 22, 2020, 10:38:01 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

If we knew we were getting DeAndre Jordan with a jump shot, I'd definitely move up from 14.
the point is he's not Jordan with a jump shot or else he'd be at the top of the draft

« Reply #310 on: September 22, 2020, 12:19:12 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Agree on not trading up for Wiseman.  In fact, if we had a top three pick I'd want to trade down in this draft.

Current hopes:

14.  Patrick Williams.....if not there, then grab Paul Reed at 26.  If there, grab Bane at 26.
14.  Bey/Nesmith.......if not there, grab Bane at 26.  If there, grab Paul Reed at 26.
14.  Achiuwa..........if not there grab Paul Reed at 26.  If there, grab Bane at 26.
14.  Vassell............if not there, Bane at 26.  If there, Paul Reed at 26.

26/30.  Reed, Bane, Tillman, Bolmaro, T. Bey

Trade up targets:  1.  Okongwu  2.  Halliburton  3.  Toppin

Trade down targets:  1.  Maxey  2.  Lewis Jr.   3.  C. Anthony  (for example if trade 14 and 47 to Dallas for 18 and 31)

« Reply #311 on: September 22, 2020, 02:02:34 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
Agree on not trading up for Wiseman.  In fact, if we had a top three pick I'd want to trade down in this draft.

Current hopes:

14.  Patrick Williams.....if not there, then grab Paul Reed at 26.  If there, grab Bane at 26.
14.  Bey/Nesmith.......if not there, grab Bane at 26.  If there, grab Paul Reed at 26.
14.  Achiuwa..........if not there grab Paul Reed at 26.  If there, grab Bane at 26.

Trade down targets:  1.  Maxey  2.  Lewis Jr.   3.  C. Anthony  (for example if trade 14 and 47 to Dallas for 18 and 31)

You really like Bane, huh? I like him too, but it seems like you are really locked-in on him?

I think you have to consider Killian Hayes if you trade up too. At worst, the guy is something like a Derrick White or Delon Wright. A guy of his size and versatility and passing would be a perfect complement to Cs system.

I also think you have to consider Anthony and Hampton at 14. I know he's not yours and others favorite option, but both have legit talent and a homerun swing at 14 could push this Cs core into dynasty-mode. The guys you listed at 14 are solid players, but I don't think they have that much upside.

Other than that, I'm in on Williams, Bey, Achiuwa, and Bolmaro. I'm less high on Nesmith than others on here, but I see the appeal. Vassel might be alright, but I just don't get excited about his game. Reed and Tillman would be solid possibilities late first and in the second round. Tyler Bey I'm meh on. It seems like there are guys like him every year that don't pan out. He reminds me a lot of RHJ, which as we just saw, is not a playoff contributor.

« Reply #312 on: September 22, 2020, 02:54:28 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Current hopes:

You really like Bane, huh? I like him too, but it seems like you are really locked-in on him?

I think you have to consider Killian Hayes if you trade up too. At worst, the guy is something like a Derrick White or Delon Wright. A guy of his size and versatility and passing would be a perfect complement to Cs system.

I also think you have to consider Anthony and Hampton at 14. I know he's not yours and others favorite option, but both have legit talent and a homerun swing at 14 could push this Cs core into dynasty-mode. The guys you listed at 14 are solid players, but I don't think they have that much upside.

Other than that, I'm in on Williams, Bey, Achiuwa, and Bolmaro. I'm less high on Nesmith than others on here, but I see the appeal. Vassel might be alright, but I just don't get excited about his game. Reed and Tillman would be solid possibilities late first and in the second round. Tyler Bey I'm meh on. It seems like there are guys like him every year that don't pan out. He reminds me a lot of RHJ, which as we just saw, is not a playoff contributor.

I dont mind Bane. But his short wingspan could be a detriment on the D end

I compare him to Dillon Brooks

Decent late 1st/early 2nd pick prospect

« Reply #313 on: September 22, 2020, 03:02:24 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas

Current hopes:

Yeah, those guys can be useful players. They have to be developed well. Frankly, there are about 10 guys each draft that fit this type "potential" and normally only 1-2 pan out.

Then you get guys like Grant Williams who was never a great defender in college or a consistent outside shooter, but as soon as he gets into the NBA, you can tell his role will be a 3-D big. That's one reason why I tend to think better/more productive players tend to be better prospects because they are essentially focusing down their game on a few specific things. But honestly, I might be completely wrong about that.

« Reply #314 on: September 22, 2020, 03:27:08 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Current hopes:

Yeah, if we could get Dillion Brooks at 26 I'd be very happy.