Author Topic: Patriots 2019 Offseason  (Read 26661 times)

Re: Patriots 2019 Offseason
« Reply #105 on: August 18, 2019, 03:55:30 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Gordon reinstated.
Well that just made things much more interesting offensively for the Patriots. They now have a legit, near the top talent wise, down the field receiver. Harry can concentrate on his more natural mid range/seam possession type receiver role and, of course, there is Edelman, maybe the league's premier underneath receiver. Add that to what I think will be an excellent running game and the Pats might be looking at back to back titles. This really is huge for New England....

....if Gordon stays clean. Big if.

Could the 2019 offense eclipse the 2007 Patriots?

No

« Reply #106 on: August 18, 2019, 06:07:04 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Gordon reinstated.
Well that just made things much more interesting offensively for the Patriots. They now have a legit, near the top talent wise, down the field receiver. Harry can concentrate on his more natural mid range/seam possession type receiver role and, of course, there is Edelman, maybe the league's premier underneath receiver. Add that to what I think will be an excellent running game and the Pats might be looking at back to back titles. This really is huge for New England....

....if Gordon stays clean. Big if.

Could the 2019 offense eclipse the 2007 Patriots?

No
No shot

Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2019, 01:41:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Anyone see ESPN's list of the greatest ever in the NFL? Out of 26 positions(11offense, 11 defense, kicker, punter special teams player and head coach), Patriots took up 4 spots with best evers.

Best QB ever: Tom Brady
Best LG ever: John Hannah(might be best OL ever)
Best kicker ever: Adam Vinatieri
Best head coach ever: Bill Belichick.

That's pretty awesome.

« Reply #108 on: August 21, 2019, 02:38:59 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Anyone see ESPN's list of the greatest ever in the NFL? Out of 26 positions(11offense, 11 defense, kicker, punter special teams player and head coach), Patriots took up 4 spots with best evers.

That's pretty awesome.

Dont' they probably also have best TE and best slot receiver, as well?

Seems like Gronk and Welker have an argument, at least.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2019, 02:47:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

That's pretty awesome.

The list was just receiver(no specific type) and they had two and Welker would rightfully not even be in the conversation. Tony Gonzalez was best ever TE. I think that is right.

« Reply #110 on: August 21, 2019, 03:29:19 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

That's pretty awesome.

The list was just receiver(no specific type) and they had two and Welker would rightfully not even be in the conversation. Tony Gonzalez was best ever TE. I think that is right.

No Revis?

« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2019, 03:47:14 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

That's pretty awesome.

No Revis?
Nope. Old time Patriot Mike Haynes got a mention as being in the conversation at CB. They had Woodson and Deion at CB. Sounds good to me.

« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2019, 04:29:03 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

That's pretty awesome.

Given the choice of prime Gronk vs. prime Gonzalez, I'd take Gronk. That may be the homer in me talking, but he was the most undefendable receiver I've ever seen, and the most imposing physical specimen I've ever seen in a receiver.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2019, 04:36:49 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

That's pretty awesome.

Given the choice of prime Gronk vs. prime Gonzalez, I'd take Gronk. That may be the homer in me talking, but he was the most undefendable receiver I've ever seen, and the most imposing physical specimen I've ever seen in a receiver.
I agree but Gonzalez's career numbers are insane. All time best has to go Gonzo.

« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2019, 04:41:08 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

That's pretty awesome.

No Revis?
Nope. Old time Patriot Mike Haynes got a mention as being in the conversation at CB. They had Woodson and Deion at CB. Sounds good to me.
I like Asomugha over Deion. I also like Woodson as a pick. Raiders were lucky to have so many good cbs but they always loved measurement guys.

« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2019, 05:11:30 PM »

• Satch Sanders

That's pretty awesome.

I agree but Gonzalez's career numbers are insane. All time best has to go Gonzo.

Some of his numbers are better mainly because he had better longevity (17 years vs. 9). But Gronk had far more yards per catch (15.1 to 11.4), and caught touchdowns more frequently (once every 1.46 games compared to once every 2.43 games for Gonzalez—or, to put it another way, Gronk averaged .687 touchdowns per game while Gonzalez averaged .411 touchdowns per game). Pound for pound, I still think Gronk was better.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2019, 05:31:56 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

That's pretty awesome.

Some of his numbers are better mainly because he had better longevity (17 years vs. 9). But Gronk had far more yards per catch (15.1 to 11.4), and caught touchdowns more frequently (once every 1.46 games compared to once every 2.43 games for Gonzalez—or, to put it another way, Gronk averaged .687 touchdowns per game while Gonzalez averaged .411 touchdowns per game). Pound for pound, I still think Gronk was better.
Gronk might not be done.

Im with RRFS -  I’ve never have seen a specimen like Gronk.  The size, power, speed (at the size), the MITTS!! Hands of a great receiver, Jim Brown power with the ball, and he blocked like a lineman.  If he had a Bo Jackson career - unmatched specimen but career cut significantly short — I’d understand not going with Gronk, but I think Gronk stood the basic test of time.   

Best ever TE is Rob Gronkowski.  . 

« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2019, 07:27:21 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

That's pretty awesome.

At the same time if you see years as a factor you also have to factor per game #'s will drop with Gonzo having played so many years also add in lesser QBs.

« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2019, 08:31:49 PM »

• Satch Sanders

That's pretty awesome.

At the same time if you see years as a factor you also have to factor per game #'s will drop with Gonzo having played so many years also add in lesser QBs.

I don't give # of years a ton of significance, as I think some guys are just more injury-prone, and that's something that has no bearing on your talent level and how you produce when you're on the field. Though I understand that others feel differently.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2019, 12:02:02 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
BREAKING: @tomecurran has confirmed that Patriots safety Patrick Chung has been indicted for cocaine possession on June 25. Arraignment will be in August