Author Topic: Horford free agency thread: Possibly leaving: Page 10  (Read 47955 times)

Re: Horford free agency thread: Possibly leaving: Page 10
« Reply #615 on: June 20, 2019, 04:03:04 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I don't believe there is one player in this draft that would be available to the Celtics that could start for them next year. I am actually skeptical that anyone they draft will even crack the rotation next year. That doesn't mean that Ainge can't hit on that pick by having that pick develop in years 2-4 of their rookie deal. It just means, the talent Ainge will be able to choose from is most likely a project that will need time to develop.

Pretty much.  If Ainge uses all three picks (unlikely), then I'd prefer him to draft projects with at least two of them.  Who knows, maybe you hit on a guy who becomes a high end contributor in 3 or 4 years.

If the team is young then 1 or 2 will absolutely play.  If they make some moves and are playoff contenders then you may be right but I would be shocked if Timelord and 1  rookie are not in the rotation.  Same with Semi and Yabu if he's not traded.

« Reply #616 on: June 20, 2019, 04:06:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't believe there is one player in this draft that would be available to the Celtics that could start for them next year. I am actually skeptical that anyone they draft will even crack the rotation next year. That doesn't mean that Ainge can't hit on that pick by having that pick develop in years 2-4 of their rookie deal. It just means, the talent Ainge will be able to choose from is most likely a project that will need time to develop.

Pretty much.  If Ainge uses all three picks (unlikely), then I'd prefer him to draft projects with at least two of them.  Who knows, maybe you hit on a guy who becomes a high end contributor in 3 or 4 years.

If the team is young then 1 or 2 will absolutely play.  If they make some moves and are playoff contenders then you may be right but I would be shocked if Timelord and 1  rookie are not in the rotation.  Same with Semi and Yabu if he's not traded.
Expect to be shocked then.

« Reply #617 on: June 20, 2019, 04:11:53 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

Please explain. 

« Reply #618 on: June 20, 2019, 04:13:22 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

I think we're coming at this from a different perspective.  Maybe 1 or 2 will play IF the Celtics surrender to a complete rebuild around the two J's.  Realistically, I don't believe Ainge is going to sit quietly and field a complete youth movement.  Either way, the players he drafts wont be worthy of significant playing time on a competitive team, at least not if Ainge is looking for high upside.

« Reply #619 on: June 20, 2019, 05:12:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Please explain.
Green-18 pretty much explained as I did earlier. Just read my post that was originally posted.

Simply, I don't see Ainge going full youth movement which would then force Steven's into playing youth before they are ready for NBA minutes. If anything, both during Doc's time and Stevens' time, Ainge has really never ladened the roster with youth forcing the coaches into playing young players who are not ready. The franchise philosophy throughout Ainge's time is to play youth after they have earned playing time by what they show in practice, preseason and in Maine.

Smart and Tatum both played extensively from the get go as both proved they were up for the job, but even Brown, a top 3 pick only started his rookie year due to a Bradley injury and only after that started getting real rotation time. Rozier, more likely the level of talent that the team will be looking at than top of the draft players like Smart, Tatum and Brown,  wasn't in the rotation his first year. William's got no minutes last year. Yabu still isn't getting minutes 2 years later.

This is not a draft that figures to have 1st year rotation players in the teens and 20s. Ainge would need to get very likely to find one. My guess is only one 1st rounder in this draft will be on the team next year and that player is probably in Maine with Williams all year.

« Reply #620 on: June 20, 2019, 05:16:05 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

Please explain.
Green-18 pretty much explained as I did earlier. Just read my post that was originally posted.

Simply, I don't see Ainge going full youth movement which would then force Steven's into playing youth before they are ready for NBA minutes. If anything, both during Doc's time and Stevens' time, Ainge has really never ladened the roster with youth forcing the coaches into playing young players who are not ready. The franchise philosophy throughout Ainge's time is to play youth after they have earned playing time by what they show in practice, preseason and in Maine.

Smart and Tatum both played extensively from the get go as both proved they were up for the job, but even Brown, a top 3 pick only started his rookie year due to a Bradley injury and only after that started getting real rotation time. Rozier, more likely the level of talent that the team will be looking at than top of the draft players like Smart, Tatum and Brown,  wasn't in the rotation his first year. William's got no minutes last year. Yabu still isn't getting minutes 2 years later.

This is not a draft that figures to have 1st year rotation players in the teens and 20s. Ainge would need to get very likely to find one. My guess is only one 1st rounder in this draft will be on the team next year and that player is probably in Maine with Williams all year.

If team draft goga at 14 I would expect him to play alot of minutes. The other 2 picks are most likely trade fodder or homerun swings(samanic)

« Reply #621 on: June 20, 2019, 05:32:39 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Please explain.

I disagree a little with your assessment.  Because the draft is flatter, we may see substantially more upperclassmen selected in the middle of the first round compared with some years.  While the ceiling of these players is substantially lower, they might prove to be a bit more NBA-ready in year 1.  Players like Cam Johnson and Brandon Clarke will be 23 when the season starts, and several other players mocked in the 12-25 range will be 22.  I’d be frankly surprised that, if we use all three first rounders, we wouldn’t pick one of these older players who can step into the rotation immediately.

« Reply #622 on: June 21, 2019, 06:11:21 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Numerous teams and agents believe Al Horford has a four-year offer awaiting him in free agency worth an estimated $112 million. Sources with knowledge of the Mavericks’ thinking continue to insist that such a deal will NOT be coming from Dallas. Free agency starts in eight days

-stein

« Reply #623 on: June 21, 2019, 09:18:08 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Numerous teams and agents believe Al Horford has a four-year offer awaiting him in free agency worth an estimated $112 million. Sources with knowledge of the Mavericks’ thinking continue to insist that such a deal will NOT be coming from Dallas. Free agency starts in eight days

-stein

According to Jackie Mac the team did offer Al a four year deal:

“I think the Celtics made him a good offer. I can’t tell you what it was, but I do think they made him a four-year offer that was a pretty healthy one,” she said on the Hoop Collective podcast. “Think about that. I think Al’s 37 at the end of that contract, so it’s not like they said they’re going to lowball Al Horford. But what this tells me... there are teams out there that are very interested in Al Horford, and one of them, I believe, is the Dallas Mavericks. So, I think there’s going to be some big money there for Al Horford.”

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/06/al-horford-rumors-boston-celtics-made-horford-a-pretty-healthy-4-year-offer-per-espns-jackie-macmullan.html

Now I'm speculating here, but could it have been a 4y/80m offer? And Al wanted 4y/100m?

I can't blame Al for chasing the $$$ at his age and players have to do the best for themselves while they still have value. I guess it would come down to more money vs familiar surroundings in Boston, since Dallas isn't going to be a contender next year anyway.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #624 on: June 21, 2019, 09:31:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

-stein

According to Jackie Mac the team did offer Al a four year deal:

“I think the Celtics made him a good offer. I can’t tell you what it was, but I do think they made him a four-year offer that was a pretty healthy one,” she said on the Hoop Collective podcast. “Think about that. I think Al’s 37 at the end of that contract, so it’s not like they said they’re going to lowball Al Horford. But what this tells me... there are teams out there that are very interested in Al Horford, and one of them, I believe, is the Dallas Mavericks. So, I think there’s going to be some big money there for Al Horford.”

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/06/al-horford-rumors-boston-celtics-made-horford-a-pretty-healthy-4-year-offer-per-espns-jackie-macmullan.html

Now I'm speculating here, but could it have been a 4y/80m offer? And Al wanted 4y/100m?

I can't blame Al for chasing the $$$ at his age and players have to do the best for themselves while they still have value. I guess it would come down to more money vs familiar surroundings in Boston, since Dallas isn't going to be a contender next year anyway.
Not loving that Jackie doesn't have a number, just that it was a four year "healthy" offer. She is getting that from the Celtics front office, I am sure, and what they consider "healthy" might not be "healthy" to Horford. It's also, most likely, damage control spin.

If the deal is the reported 4 years $112 million and coming from a no state tax state, that is a lot more money a year than the $22 million a year, in tax heavy Massachusetts, number some were speculating Ainge may have been offering Horford.

« Reply #625 on: June 21, 2019, 09:32:00 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
It’s strange this contract offer rumor has been floating around about Horford, and I can’t think of 1 other player right now where there are specific contract offers with amounts out there in the media.

« Reply #626 on: June 23, 2019, 02:36:57 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Al Horford has been linked with the Dallas Mavericks since talks with the Boston Celtics broke down. Horford declined a $30.1 million player option with the Celtics.

"Al Horford clearly knows he has another offer," said Brian Windhorst. "The speculation within the league is that it's with the Dallas Mavericks. I'm just going to tell you the number that is out there that they're talking about. I have no idea whether it's true. Do you know the number, (Tim) MacMahon?"

"112," replied Jackie MacMullan.

"Four years, $112 million is the number floating around."

Windhorst and MacMullan clarified that they're not reporting this information before MacMahon described it as "rumored speculation."

Marc Stein of the New York Times reports that while there has been much speculation about a potential four-year, $112 million offer waiting for Horford, sources with knowledge of the Mavericks' thinking insist it will not be from Dallas.

BRIAN WINDHORST, JACKIE MACMULLAN, TIM MACMAHON/ESPN

« Reply #627 on: June 23, 2019, 02:58:46 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
I think as soon as Clippers sign Leonard they go hard for Horford, and considering they would instantly be a contender over a rebuilding Mavs...he signs there. Also remember his wife is a former Miss Universe and i'm sure she would love to have the media industry so close and available.

If he wasn't interested in contending i'd love him to go back to Atlanta,

Horford, Collins, Prince, Huerter, Young

Spellman, Hunter, Reddish would be a great core going forward

« Reply #628 on: June 23, 2019, 03:17:38 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
It’s strange this contract offer rumor has been floating around about Horford, and I can’t think of 1 other player right now where there are specific contract offers with amounts out there in the media.

It is called 'tampering' lol

« Reply #629 on: June 23, 2019, 11:09:43 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Basketball Rehab
@BasketballRehab
 League source confirms PF Al Horford  has verbally committed to signing with the LA Clippers on a 4 year max contract.

I don't know how credible this is but how can any FA have already committed to any team ? Am i missing something?