Author Topic: Women's World Cup Thread  (Read 23688 times)

Re: Women's World Cup Thread
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2023, 10:41:12 PM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1384
Dutch have to attack now
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2023, 10:53:34 PM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
The Dutch equalize!! Van der gragt makes up for her handball with a goal in stoppage. 11 more minutes of stoppage though

« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2023, 11:05:59 PM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
Going to extra time

« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2023, 11:57:10 PM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
And Spain win in the dying minutes of extra time and book their spot in the quarters

« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2023, 12:06:00 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1415
  • Let's Go Celtics!
And Spain win in the dying minutes of extra time and book their spot in the quarters

I kinda feel bad for the Spanish players. They want Vilda out as coach but the further they advance, the less it's likely that'll happen. Their federation basically already backed him over the players.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #125 on: August 15, 2023, 09:38:16 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
3 goals after the 80th minute.  Crazy.  Congrats to Spain on the 2-1 win and advancement to the Finals.  Australia and England is tomorrow.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #126 on: August 15, 2023, 10:39:15 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
3 goals after the 80th minute.  Crazy.  Congrats to Spain on the 2-1 win and advancement to the Finals.  Australia and England is tomorrow.

Rooting for Australia to get through. It's a shame Alexia Putellas and Sam Kerr aren't 100% though. That'd be a clash of the titans in the final.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #127 on: August 25, 2023, 10:32:36 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I kinda feel bad for the Spanish players. They want Vilda out as coach but the further they advance, the less it's likely that'll happen. Their federation basically already backed him over the players.

https://theathletic.com/4802917/2023/08/25/luis-rubiales-spain-resign/

What a surreal moment for the Spanish FA, but it could be a reckoning. Supposedly, the women's team is preparing a joint statement demanding his resignation. Curious to see how the FA proceeds as quite a few players already chose to sit out this past Cup over mistreatment.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #128 on: August 25, 2023, 10:42:32 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

What a surreal moment for the Spanish FA, but it could be a reckoning. Supposedly, the women's team is preparing a joint statement demanding his resignation. Curious to see how the FA proceeds as quite a few players already chose to sit out this past Cup over mistreatment.

It is completely unfortunate that this whole drama has overshadowed their win.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2023, 10:47:20 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I agree on one hand, but on the other this might be the incident that actually gets them the changes they've been asking for. There's so much attention on this right now, players from their men's team are speaking out and refusing to play, something has to happen within the federation. They can't just ignore this and act as if it's business as usual.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2023, 11:03:33 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell

I agree on one hand, but on the other this might be the incident that actually gets them the changes they've been asking for. There's so much attention on this right now, players from their men's team are speaking out and refusing to play, something has to happen within the federation. They can't just ignore this and act as if it's business as usual.

Very true and to be honest, I am also reading about the drama with popcorn in my hand seeing whether he'll retire or not, consensual or not, who's with him or not...
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2023, 11:06:44 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
I thought he already resigned.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #132 on: August 25, 2023, 11:09:43 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I thought he already resigned.

This press conference was supposed to be an announcement of his resignation, but he went off the rails.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #133 on: August 25, 2023, 11:10:00 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
In the end, I think the Women's World Cup wasn't received well in the US and South America, not capturing as much of the general audience with the tough game time and early exits of USA and Brazil (although Colombia did well). However, I do think it was a great success in European countries, Africa and Australia. They broke records and build a strong momentum going forward for women's sports.

Spain brought home its first Women’s World Cup title on Sunday, and the country certainly showed out in support.

The match was watched by an average of 5.6M people in Spain, according to data from Barlovento Comunicacion. That makes it the largest TV audience ever for a women’s soccer match in Spain.

With both England and Spain making their first appearances in the Women’s World Cup final, it makes sense that the countries would see record viewership. As Deadline reported earlier Monday, the match was watched by a peak of 14.4M people across the BBC and ITV.

https://deadline.com/2023/08/2023-womens-world-cup-final-ratings-spain-england-australia-1235524500/

In Australia, their semi-final game broke their alltime record for most watched sporting event, including men's rugby (if I am not mistaken). It will be interesting where they'll go next WC. Europe has the most momentum, US or Brazil will have the best game times for us, and Africa earned their keep with 3 countries advancing to the knockout stage.

Baby Jesus!

« Reply #134 on: August 25, 2023, 05:14:37 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar
In the end, I think the Women's World Cup wasn't received well in the US and South America, not capturing as much of the general audience with the tough game time and early exits of USA and Brazil (although Colombia did well).

I’m copying from a copy of Kareem’s substack, but I’m not sure about that:
[BRIEF COMMENT: If we look at the facts, Americans actually did support the team. Their opening win against Vietnam averaged 5.26 million viewers, a 99% increase from their opening match in 2019. Their match against the Netherlands had 6.43 million viewers, a 21% increase. The US Women’s Soccer team set a viewership record on English-language television in the U.S
On mobile, but the data he cites is here:
https://www.axios.com/2023/08/03/us-women-world-cup-viewership-records?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.