Author Topic: Kemba’s got to go...  (Read 46889 times)

Re: Kemba’s got to go...
« Reply #315 on: May 25, 2021, 04:42:38 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
There's probably a better chance of 10 members of this site getting hit by lightning tomorrow than there is Ball and Markkanen being on the the Celtics next year. Both are restricted free agents, the C's won't ever be able to get low enough in salary to sign them both outright and, as has been said across this site for weeks, a sign and trade isn't happening, nevermind two.
I haven't been around much so I missed most of that conversation. Is there some construction of a Kemba-for-Lonzo s&t that could actually work for the C's?
A sign and trade hardcaps the team at the apron. The team will be going way over that so a S&T won't be happening.
If it turned out that New Orleans really wasn't interested in Lonzo but wanted a Kemba-type player and was cool with a straight swap of the two players where Lonzo signs for $10-12 mil less than Kemba is making... can it not be done or are you saying it just isn't something the C's are likely to want to do?

Real question, btw. I'm trying to get my brain around the cap stuff.

I will try to answer to see if Nick was a good teacher...  ;D

If I understood correctly, even dumping 10-12M we would still be near the apron and unable to resign Fournier, maybe even use the 11 M TPE remaining. And even if we find someone to take TT contratc, we couldn't use MLE after this ST.... So it would be Ball but no Kemba, no Fournier and no way to do another signing, just Min players.

Hope I have preserved Nick from another post about the question ....

« Reply #316 on: May 25, 2021, 05:06:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2958
  • On To Banner 18!
There's no way they can offload Kemba unless they add in something else of value (like multiple 1sts or hell, a player like Jaylen), or take back another albatross. Even bad, small-market teams that can't lure stars would probably stay away from Kemba unless they were incentivized in some way.

Yeah, a Kemba trade is possible through S&T or having his salary involved in a bigger deal, but if that were the case I imagine there'd definitely be a lot of moving pieces. It's just not that simple to "offload Kemba"
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #317 on: May 25, 2021, 05:09:26 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
There's probably a better chance of 10 members of this site getting hit by lightning tomorrow than there is Ball and Markkanen being on the the Celtics next year. Both are restricted free agents, the C's won't ever be able to get low enough in salary to sign them both outright and, as has been said across this site for weeks, a sign and trade isn't happening, nevermind two.
I haven't been around much so I missed most of that conversation. Is there some construction of a Kemba-for-Lonzo s&t that could actually work for the C's?
A sign and trade hardcaps the team at the apron. The team will be going way over that so a S&T won't be happening.
If it turned out that New Orleans really wasn't interested in Lonzo but wanted a Kemba-type player and was cool with a straight swap of the two players where Lonzo signs for $10-12 mil less than Kemba is making... can it not be done or are you saying it just isn't something the C's are likely to want to do?

Real question, btw. I'm trying to get my brain around the cap stuff.

I will try to answer to see if Nick was a good teacher...  ;D

If I understood correctly, even dumping 10-12M we would still be near the apron and unable to resign Fournier, maybe even use the 11 M TPE remaining. And even if we find someone to take TT contratc, we couldn't use MLE after this ST.... So it would be Ball but no Kemba, no Fournier and no way to do another signing, just Min players.

Hope I have preserved Nick from another post about the question ....

I likely only partially understand but the part I did read up on would result in the following:

Do a Sign and Trade   ----->  Get good but not great player  ---->  Hard Capped  ----->  Tatum Contract Kicks in  ---->  Team Already close to Apron  ---->  We lose Kemba, Smart (if traded), and Fournier  ---->  Fill in Roster with Rookies and Vet Mins  ---->  Really bad season  ---->  Kemba puts up 20/5/5 for another team  ---->  Complaining on Forum Increases

« Reply #318 on: May 25, 2021, 06:03:08 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
There's no way they can offload Kemba unless they add in something else of value (like multiple 1sts or hell, a player like Jaylen), or take back another albatross. Even bad, small-market teams that can't lure stars would probably stay away from Kemba unless they were incentivized in some way.

Yeah, a Kemba trade is possible through S&T or having his salary involved in a bigger deal, but if that were the case I imagine there'd definitely be a lot of moving pieces. It's just not that simple to "offload Kemba"

If Chris Paul leaves Phoenix I’m pretty certain the Suns would be interested in Kemba.  The C’s might have to take a little salary back to make the numbers work so that the Suns could use cap space, but it wouldn’t have to be a terribly complex deal.  Something like Kemba for Saric works capwise, for example.

« Reply #319 on: May 25, 2021, 07:55:32 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
Now I remember why : to watch Timelord!

« Reply #320 on: May 25, 2021, 08:51:20 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Other than Kemba, TT, and TL, everyone else has been brutal offensively. Then we get to the defense...

I'd like to see a box and 1 with TL on KD, but I won't.

« Reply #321 on: May 25, 2021, 08:53:34 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Other than Kemba, TT, and TL, everyone else has been brutal offensively. Then we get to the defense...

I'd like to see a box and 1 with TL on KD, but I won't.

Wrong thread.

« Reply #322 on: May 25, 2021, 08:53:46 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

You could have told the same thing to a 76ers fan a year ago about Al Horford, yet they found a way to pull it off.

Al Horford being cooked was a lot more widely publicized too
Greg

« Reply #323 on: May 25, 2021, 11:37:53 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540

Ainge when he first came back to the Celtics got Raef LaFrentz and his ridiculous contract off the team.  He can get Kemba off. 

Problem is he will have to give up an asset - not multiple firsts or Jaylen, be serious - but maybe a player with some value (Langford comes to mind - or even someone like PP) or a pick. But more than likely they'll have to take a bad contract back.  In the short term it's likely a net loss for the talent level of the team.  So they might be drafting a PG.

« Reply #324 on: May 26, 2021, 01:52:32 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Ainge when he first came back to the Celtics got Raef LaFrentz and his ridiculous contract off the team.  He can get Kemba off. 

Problem is he will have to give up an asset - not multiple firsts or Jaylen, be serious - but maybe a player with some value (Langford comes to mind - or even someone like PP) or a pick. But more than likely they'll have to take a bad contract back.  In the short term it's likely a net loss for the talent level of the team.  So they might be drafting a PG.
Raef LaFrentz would be great in the modern NBA!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #325 on: May 26, 2021, 12:12:04 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
The "Kemba's negative value" narrative is being overblown. The people pushing the narrative sound like used car buyers trying to negotiate a lower price "I'm going to have to fix this" and "fixing this is going to cost me this". Kemba's value has dropped this season, but not enough to have to add value in a trade unless the piece being traded to Boston has more market value. Last year, Tobias Harris is "one of the worst contracts in the league"; this year, "the EC leading 76ers 3rd star". The list of teams willing to acquire him at $36M for the next 2 years are teams that are relatively weak at the PG position or are in need of a talent infusion and the result of these playoffs will increase urgency in those teams.

76ers
Knicks
Bulls
Nuggets
Clippers
Mavericks
Lakers
Spurs
Pelicans

The Celtics will be in the mix on RFA's if their team disagrees on the value of their next contract and are mandated to win-now (Ball and Markannen). One thing's for certain, Danny won't accept a pu-pu platter just to move Kemba.

« Reply #326 on: June 18, 2021, 10:42:04 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440
The performance against the Lakers tonight aside, I really think the Celtics needs to move on from him. Kemba is  a one dimensional player. if he’s not scoring, he’s hurting the team by being on the court. He’s the point guard, but he doesn’t run the offense or get his teammates involved. Pritchard already seems to be a better fit and has good chemistry with Tatum and Jaylen. I really wanted Kemba to work out on this team, but it’s just not.

And he’s gone... Great guy, just not a great fit. Best of luck.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #327 on: June 18, 2021, 10:51:25 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
We were going no where fast with him sitting on the bench at least every other game ,  it’s a waste of Browns and Tatum talent

They need area serious third talent …..like Dame to lead them on the court .

« Reply #328 on: June 18, 2021, 09:54:56 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
We were going no where fast with him sitting on the bench at least every other game ,  it’s a waste of Browns and Tatum talent

They need area serious third talent …..like Dame to lead them on the court .

Dame is an All NBA 2nd teamer...he'd have to be at the right stage of his career to take a role leading bench guys for two guys who aren't even as accomplished as he is yet.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D