Author Topic: Kemba’s got to go...  (Read 46889 times)

Re: Kemba’s got to go...
« Reply #240 on: May 22, 2021, 11:25:11 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Question isn't whether he will go it's will you feel good about what the Celts get in return
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #241 on: May 22, 2021, 11:46:10 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Question isn't whether he will go it's will you feel good about what the Celts get in return
that's the key.  I have little doubt that if Kemba is traded, most people will not be satisfied with the return

« Reply #242 on: May 23, 2021, 01:35:37 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
5 months later and this post still holds true. Danny needs to do whatever he can to move Kemba in the off-season. Can’t waste any more seasons with Walker as the 3rd max guy on this team. I thought it was a good signing at the time, but it just isn’t working out and it won’t. Time to cut your losses, Danny. Hopefully Tatum is in Beals ear during the off-season and convinces him to ask out of Washington. I don’t care how many 1st round picks it takes to move  Kemba. It Needs to be done.

You’re not getting Beal for Kemba. You might get Westbrook though.
- LilRip

« Reply #243 on: May 23, 2021, 02:26:35 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
5 months later and this post still holds true. Danny needs to do whatever he can to move Kemba in the off-season. Can’t waste any more seasons with Walker as the 3rd max guy on this team. I thought it was a good signing at the time, but it just isn’t working out and it won’t. Time to cut your losses, Danny. Hopefully Tatum is in Beals ear during the off-season and convinces him to ask out of Washington. I don’t care how many 1st round picks it takes to move  Kemba. It Needs to be done.

Westbrook has a far worse contract.  That would be a terrible (and totally unaffordable) move.

Realistically you're trading Kemba and getting back a few smaller contracts, at least one of which ideally would be non-guaranteed.

Look at what Memphis got for Mike Conley -- a handful of role players on medium sized deals, plus a protected 1st round pick.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #244 on: May 23, 2021, 02:55:10 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Kemba was the goat tonight...he lost us the game with his pathetic 3 for 14...yes i aint counting those useless threes at the end because the game was already decided by then.

An absolute bank robbery he has done to Wyc with that horrendous max contract...and yes id rather have Westbrick tbh than Kemba right now.

« Reply #245 on: May 23, 2021, 06:13:08 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282

[/quote]

Look at what Memphis got for Mike Conley -- a handful of role players on medium sized deals, plus a protected 1st round pick.
[/quote]

This trade makes me more optimistic than pesimistic... They get Grayson Allen, Crowder and 2 low first round picks... I would be OK with something like that, if it gives money and assets to go after another player (aka Ball), and some bench value... After I agree that when you look team by team not much need a Kemba... But who knows ?

« Reply #246 on: May 23, 2021, 06:40:18 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395

Westbrook has a far worse contract.  That would be a terrible (and totally unaffordable) move.

Realistically you're trading Kemba and getting back a few smaller contracts, at least one of which ideally would be non-guaranteed.

Both contracts expire on the same year. I don’t know what cap flexibility we lose with Kemba being a maxed out player (plus the Jays’ bigger contracts kicking in too). Sure it can’t be a 1:1 trade because the Westbrook contract is bigger but IMO, we’re still getting the better player in the deal.

My point stands though: you’re not getting Beal for Kemba. You’re not getting the NBA’s 2nd leading scorer in his prime. At best, you can probably get a former all star, who is just past prime, on a bad contract.

The other option you proposed is viable too, which is trading him for a mixed bag of role players (Grayson Allen and Crowder-level) and a pick in the mid-late 20’s. It’ll definitely set the C’s back in the immediate because Kemba will likely have more on-court impact than those 2 but it sets us up for future trades.

- LilRip

« Reply #247 on: May 23, 2021, 07:28:06 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I wish Brad had just continued to let Kemba play as he was picking up fouls. He is a rhythm player and he kept getting pulled for extended time after a couple of minutes. I understand the 1st half where we were staying afloat without him, but we needed like the full 3rd quarter to get him going. Instead he picked up an early foul and he sat until the 4th. Brad as well as anybody should have known that wasn’t going to work for a guy like Kemba.

« Reply #248 on: May 23, 2021, 10:15:35 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1440

You do realize that Beal will be an Unrestricted free agent this time next year? If he asks to be moved or informs the team that he is not signing another extension, they will have to trade him just like Houston did with Harden. I can’t imagine they would let him walk for nothing. Players have all the leverage now and if/when he does get moved, it could be a potential 1 year rental for the other team. Teams interested in Beal are not going to give up the farm for someone that is not under contract for at least a few years.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 11:10:52 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #249 on: May 23, 2021, 10:58:57 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I wish Brad had just continued to let Kemba play as he was picking up fouls. He is a rhythm player and he kept getting pulled for extended time after a couple of minutes. I understand the 1st half where we were staying afloat without him, but we needed like the full 3rd quarter to get him going. Instead he picked up an early foul and he sat until the 4th. Brad as well as anybody should have known that wasn’t going to work for a guy like Kemba.

I agree with this.  I'm not discouraged by Kemba's sub performance.  He had an off night. But it was not his knee holding him back.  He even brought out that very joint stressful move where he jabs in and back. Ouch. I haven't seen him do that for about a year.  That is a good sign.

« Reply #250 on: May 23, 2021, 01:13:02 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I agree with this.  I'm not discouraged by Kemba's sub performance.  He had an off night. But it was not his knee holding him back.  He even brought out that very joint stressful move where he jabs in and back. Ouch. I haven't seen him do that for about a year.  That is a good sign.

I get that this is now the playoffs and we want everybody to perform at their highest level, but Tatum and Fournier actually shot a lower percentage than Kemba this game. Kemba also went out and tore it up in the play-in game, so it's not like he suddenly sucks. He is admittedly streaky - hopefully he can stay out of foul trouble and streak in the other direction next game. Either way, beating BKN was always going to be near-impossible w/o Brown (and super-improbable with him). Just going to try enjoying these last few games against an opponent I really dislike.

« Reply #251 on: May 23, 2021, 04:44:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I would really want some trade like this: https://tradenba.com/trades/3y4Xx29JM

Send Kemba off for Thad Young, Tomaś Satoransky and Al-Farouq Aminu. Chicago get a big 3 of Vuce-Lavine-Kemba with Williams and White alongside, we get depth.

Run it back next year with Fournier and a team of:
Smart - Pritchard - Madar
Fournier - Satoransky - Langford
Brown - Nesmith - Aminu
Tatum - Young - G Williams
R Williams - Thompson - Kornet

All of a sudden our bench is really strong 6-10
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #252 on: May 23, 2021, 04:49:42 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Not bad would you draft a PG if you did this?

« Reply #253 on: May 23, 2021, 05:00:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Not bad would you draft a PG if you did this?
It depends on where we fell. I'd be tempted to draft a power forward because Thad Young is quite old and Grant is not backup level. Someone like Franz Wagner or Jalen Johnson.

But if Josh Giddey or Davion Mitchell were available to us I'd take them. I think Yam Madar will be able to provide 3rd string PG play next year, and has pretty high potential too. Celtics might be happy with Pritchard and Yam
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #254 on: May 23, 2021, 05:05:09 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I get that this is now the playoffs and we want everybody to perform at their highest level, but Tatum and Fournier actually shot a lower percentage than Kemba this game. Kemba also went out and tore it up in the play-in game, so it's not like he suddenly sucks. He is admittedly streaky - hopefully he can stay out of foul trouble and streak in the other direction next game. Either way, beating BKN was always going to be near-impossible w/o Brown (and super-improbable with him). Just going to try enjoying these last few games against an opponent I really dislike.
^this, Kemba has been playing very well recently and wasn't even that bad among our players last night.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA