Author Topic: Veteran free agent options  (Read 4000 times)

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
No one's thinking about DeWayne Dedmon with the MLE? He's a good rim protector, can defend on the perimeter, and is somehow a good three point shooter at 38.2% on over 3 attempts per game. Can also make his FTs.

If we have Horford, Davis, Baynes and Theis, I think there are bigger needs.

If we don’t otherwise upgrade the front court, then Desmond makes some sense. Of course, under those circumstances Kyrie probably bolts, meaning we may need to invest in a PG instead.
I think Theis is at best a third string big man, he's not going to help us a lot. I was also assuming that we aren't landing Davis lol, so a Dedmon signing would make a lot of sense, as Baynes isn't the lone traditional big man on the squad. And if Kyrie leaves, I think Ainge is going to re-sign Rozier, so we'll probably only need a min guy to be our third stringer as Smart can also play PG.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
No one's thinking about DeWayne Dedmon with the MLE? He's a good rim protector, can defend on the perimeter, and is somehow a good three point shooter at 38.2% on over 3 attempts per game. Can also make his FTs.

Like the player but it's hard to see where the cap space needed to sign him comes from. Like you said, maybe the MLE might be enough for him. He made $7.2 million last year and had a good season.
Assuming that Kyrie isn't coming back, we'll probably have the full MLE to throw at him, which is 8-10 million iirc. He'd be an excellent addition to our frontcourt.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I love Dedmon, but I think there are concerns over his durability.

Although he can't be any worse than Baynes was this season in terms of availability
Oh yes his durability isn't the best, but him and Baynes would probably only combine for 35-40 MPG at most, which is what he did for the Hawks this season while playing 64 games on around 25 MPG. I do think that he won't as fragile for us as he looks to be from his past records as our style of play will likely have him playing a less high energy game and thus preserve him better.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
How about Joakim Noah? Played well with Memphis this year and will provide our team with good passing, defense and most important rebounding (!).

I like Noah as a 3rd stringer. Not sure I trust him enough (his body to hold up well enough to be depended on) as the main backup center.

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Beverly and Carter.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Thabo
J. Dudley
G. Temple
C. Brewer
W. Chandler
Wes Matthews
Danny Green
Jeff Green

What an exciting list this is. Makes me giddy think about free agency. Makes me want to stick needles in my eyes. Actually Danny Green I would like but I just punched myself in the face when I thought about Jeff Green. Really?

That's what these lists are gonna tend to look like when you have no cap space and little in the way of minutes to offer.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Alright so here's my list:
1. If Kyrie leaves and we don't trade for AD (assuming we re-sign Rozier, he's Danny son lol)
Dedmon (full MLE of 8-10 million)
Tim Frazier (min)
Roster:
PG: Rozier, Frazier, draft pick
SG: Brown, Smart, Dozier/draft pick
SF: Tatum, Hayward, Semi
PF: Horford, Morris, Yabu/draft pick
C: Dedmon, Baynes, Williams

2. If Kyrie stays but we don't trade for AD
Cory Joseph (taxpayer's MLE)
Robin Lopez/Kyle O'Quinn/Ed Davis (vet min)
Roster:
PG: Kyrie, Joseph, draft pick
SG: Brown, Smart, Dozier/draft pick
SF: Tatum, Hayward, Semi
PF: Horford, Morris, Yabu/draft pick
C: Baynes, Lopez/KOQ/Davis, Williams

3. If Kyrie stays and we trade for AD (assuming Tatum, Smart and picks are gone)
Cory Joseph (taxpayer's MLE)
Vince Carter (vet min)
Jeff Green (vet min)
Wayne Ellington (vet min)
Roster:
PG: Kyrie, Joseph, Wannamaker
SG: Brown, Ellington, Carter
SF: Hayward, Green, Semi
PF: Horford, Morris, Yabu
C: AD, Baynes, Williams
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
What do people think about Rudy gay? If we can fill the back up point guard slot with a cheaper player, would Gay be a good fit for the MLE?

Pre-injury, he was a pretty selfish player. He seems to have at least partially turned over a new leaf however.

Not a bad choice at all.

About half of the Pacers roster are pending free agents and could be good fits:
Matthews already mentioned, Thaddeus Young who I like a lot, Evans like him too, Collison, Joseph.  Lots of solid role players.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Depends a great deal on what happens with Davis and Irving.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
What do people think about Rudy gay? If we can fill the back up point guard slot with a cheaper player, would Gay be a good fit for the MLE?

Pre-injury, he was a pretty selfish player. He seems to have at least partially turned over a new leaf however.

Not a bad choice at all.

About half of the Pacers roster are pending free agents and could be good fits:
Matthews already mentioned, Thaddeus Young who I like a lot, Evans like him too, Collison, Joseph.  Lots of solid role players.

Just can't see Young/Evans/Collinson or Joseph taking below any MLE contract.

Depends a great deal on what happens with Davis and Irving.

That is true, but whether or not we're rebuilding, we still need vets to mentor our young bucks.

Role players are great if contending also.

Let's assume Irving/AD comes here, who is your favorite role player/affordable vet?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Can anyone name a vet role player that will be available that happens to have already played on a championship team?  A James Posey type? 

That's who I think this team desperately needs.  Someone who's professional, understands their role and is not caught up trying to be a star.  It would be valuable to have someone like that to settle guys down when the pressure gets ramped up because they've been there before.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Can anyone name a vet role player that will be available that happens to have already played on a championship team?  A James Posey type? 

That's who I think this team desperately needs.  Someone who's professional, understands their role and is not caught up trying to be a star.  It would be valuable to have someone like that to settle guys down when the pressure gets ramped up because they've been there before.

Old friend Jonas jerebko, a month from now
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Not a free agent but if a Davis trade happens, it would be nice to see E'Twaun Moore come back to Boston with him. Reliable 3 point shooter who has also turned into a serviceable defender as well, I think. He'd be a good third guard.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Old friend Jonas jerebko, a month from now

Actually distraught that we had to let him go... He was a perfect role/hustle player.

Not a free agent but if a Davis trade happens, it would be nice to see E'Twaun Moore come back to Boston with him. Reliable 3 point shooter who has also turned into a serviceable defender as well, I think. He'd be a good third guard.

Making $8.3 million, and he's undersized. I like him, but I would definitely pass on that contract. He has not panned out for the NOP, don't see why he would here either.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

You could always pick through the carcasses of the 2016 Cavs team.  They're all pretty much available, either as buyouts or free agents.  ;D

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class