Author Topic: Trade down  (Read 3477 times)

Trade down
« on: May 21, 2019, 03:39:46 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
In the end i see us keeping irwing and horfofd but guys like rozier morris wannamaker theis baynes ojeleje and yabusele will be gone... and i do not see any davis trade... he will stay with zion
So we will need bodies with cheap contracts.. if danny finds the players he wants at 20s or in the 2nd round i see us trading down for more lower picks..

Re: Trade down
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 03:41:42 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
In the end i see us keeping irwing and horfofd but guys like rozier morris wannamaker theis baynes ojeleje and yabusele will be gone... and i do not see any davis trade... he will stay with zion
So we will need bodies with cheap contracts.. if danny finds the players he wants at 20s or in the 2nd round i see us trading down for more lower picks..
Davis if a goner

He is not staying with a rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 03:41:52 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If Danny stands pat, we will have three or four rookies next season. I don’t think we need more.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 03:44:34 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
If Danny stands pat, we will have three or four rookies next season. I don’t think we need more.

Agreed. I would love to see the Celtics either draft and stash a Euro, or package a few picks for an unprotected pick in the future.

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 04:51:59 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Having young, promising players is nice, but under the right circumstances. I thought last year not having enough legit veterans who truly understood their role was ultimately an issue.

I don’t think the draft will be long for Boston. Pretty sure they will be flipped to NOLA and the rest of the bench filled with cheap veteran role players.

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 05:07:34 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56

I'm sorry, but I think that your premise that AD will stay with NO is faulty. Also, the Celtics are a NBA team and not a NFL team. They don't need gunners, long snappers, and kickers. Too many picks. I think that it's more likely that they try to combine picks in order to move up regardless of whether they keep the picks or trade them to NO.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 05:14:04 PM by Irish Stew »

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 05:15:08 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Agreed. I would love to see the Celtics either draft and stash a Euro,

I bet you would.   Do teams even do this anymore?   It seems if a guy can play they come here nowadays so the draft and stash has died out.

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 05:36:28 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
This ain't the NFL.  You don't trade down into the 20's, presumably for even more picks.  For that same reason he likely won't be able to package the picks to move up (very far), though that would be ideal.

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 05:39:40 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

I bet you would.   Do teams even do this anymore?   It seems if a guy can play they come here nowadays so the draft and stash has died out.

Celtics did it with Zizic and Yabu. Not exactly blueprints for success—but it happens.

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 05:43:26 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Celtics did it with Zizic and Yabu. Not exactly blueprints for success—but it happens.
I would imagine anyone the team drafts that is okay with being stashed would be a reach (i.e., happy to stay in their country just to be drafted in the first round).  As long as fans are okay with that reality, then I guess we're good.

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 05:49:23 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
If we need bodies, we're better off signing vets to the minimum than relying on non-lottery rookies
I'm bitter.

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 06:50:05 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If we need bodies, we're better off signing vets to the minimum than relying on non-lottery rookies
Or deal for future picks and sign undrafted FAs. Undrafted FAs are better than trading down if it's about $.

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 07:54:04 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
guys like rozier morris wannamaker theis baynes ojeleje and yabusele will be gone

Most of these guys will still be on the team. Baynes and Ojeleye for sure. Wannamaker and Theis will be unless they sign elsewhere. Yabusele will be here unless he's included in a trade. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Morris back. Rozier is the only one that is more than likely gone.

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 08:47:59 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Having young, promising players is nice, but under the right circumstances. I thought last year not having enough legit veterans who truly understood their role was ultimately an issue.

I don’t think the draft will be long for Boston. Pretty sure they will be flipped to NOLA and the rest of the bench filled with cheap veteran role players.
Young players on cheap contracts have no value if they can't get on the court.  And Brad wouldn't play anyone so this past season was pretty much a waste for all of them.  Their role was to occupy roster slots and be available to practice.  Anyone they draft is likely going to sit so I can't see them keeping these picks. 

You don't trade down, you trade out for future (protected) picks.

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 09:26:16 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Trading down does not make sense to me, because higher value usually happens higher in the draft with some exceptions.   NO will want higher picks,  if we trade for Davis.  If we lose out on everyone, no Davis no Kyrie) we will want the higher picks to restock our roster.   

It makes sense at no level to me to trade down.  I would rather trade up to get a better player.