Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 245667 times)

Re: Robert Williams and the makings of a masterpiece
« Reply #705 on: July 10, 2018, 02:22:20 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
There are a lot of hyperboles and overreaction in this thread.

Fact is, Williams has a lot of potential, but even if he maximizes that, I don't think he'll be a masterpiece. He won't ever be an all-nba candidate, and that is what a masterpiece should at least be.

He also had a lot of question marks and has made 3? mistakes already. But it is still too early to judge a player. I mean, when I was 20 I was missing classes left and right playing video games.

Re: Bob Williams has artery condition in Both Legs
« Reply #706 on: July 10, 2018, 02:23:29 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Whos this Bob?

« Reply #707 on: July 10, 2018, 06:59:14 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This happens every year as we get new rookies.  People either deify them or crap all over them.

« Reply #708 on: July 10, 2018, 07:23:08 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
This happens every year as we get new rookies.  People either deify them or crap all over them.

Moderation of thought is not really part of society these days, in most any arena.

« Reply #709 on: July 10, 2018, 07:58:56 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
He was vulnerable on arrival that was when he needed support ,

Oh, come on, the guy is getting paid millions to play basketball, he's not going through a terminal illness or getting sent to war. Stop making excuses for him. Do you believe in accountability?

Moderation of thought is not really part of society these days, in most any arena.

I do think Williams has a lot of talent, but there have been countless players that have had more physical gifts and have flamed out. There are major issues with this guy from the neck up, so the thread title and the excuses people make for his behavior is pretty comical. At this point, Williams could murder someone and some will probably just blame it on the C's.

« Reply #710 on: July 10, 2018, 08:03:16 AM »

Offline kmart12

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 20

I thought nothing of this year's draft given our draft position, until all of the "biggest steal of the draft" articles came out the next day proclaiming Williams as a an unmissable gem of a prospect. I bought into it, but I think, aligning with your point, it's best to hit the brakes a bit and see it for what it is.

For a 27th pick, Williams is worth taking a chance on (insert excitement); however, there's a reason why Williams was available at 27 (insert rationality).

« Reply #711 on: July 10, 2018, 08:33:00 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I am going to go way out on a limb here and predict that Williams does not do much this season.  He has a lot to learn on and off the court.  Better to learn at Portland.  I don't like seeing a roster spot used in this way but we can afford to set aside one spot for this type of development.  He clearly has significant potential.

There really is no easy way to develop talent in the NBA.  He is the type of player that often gets lost between the cracks.  Not quite ready for prime time, no real minor league system to come up through.  Not a lot of practice time once the season kicks in.  Each team can afford to use a roster spot in this way for one maybe two players to be stashed in the G League.  It is especially hard if you are trying to contend and develop at the same time as the Celtics are.

« Reply #712 on: July 10, 2018, 08:39:02 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
This guy is going to basically red shirt this year anf pmay in Maine.

At best, he might be a solid rotation guy imo.

« Reply #713 on: July 10, 2018, 09:19:41 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Eddie is so full it"makings of a masterpiece" was  hyperbole but he has the 2nd highest vertical reach ever and bio mechanics that allow him to keep up with quards (P3) and two years of  SEC defensive player of year.He loves defense he gets up and down the court in transition,he closes out on perimeter with his 7-6 wingspan.
Eddie starts talking going off to war-the kid left his wallet at home misses a return flight, tries to squeeze a quick trip home because he was tired/stressed after being prodded and paraded to the press.It was just practice
The Celtics reacted after the fact putting in a support network.The guy was late for practice-so what.The coaching staff has nothing but glowing comments on his behavior and ability to learn.
With a personal trainer and a housemate problem solved .Even a chauffeur to Maine.
I saw enough in 6 minutes .
I wouldn't bet against this kid barring injury.
You must have a bad equation everything you run through it come out negative.
His teammate from his college team also at summer league said nothing but how good a person he is.
Businesmen have secretaries,,aides,personal assistants,gardeners chauffeurs,accountants,financial planners,shopping assistants,party planners,trainers,personal chefs,Drs, and lawyers and agents.This is a 20yr old boy from a one stoplight town
So he needed somebody he could trust and somebody to help plan and guide him around till
his teammates and support takes hold.
It started with a missed practice but his agent and the Celtics moved very quickly AFTER that.
So maybe the missed practice and support have headed off a more serious problem.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:32:02 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #714 on: July 10, 2018, 09:28:42 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
He was vulnerable on arrival that was when he needed support ,

Oh, come on, the guy is getting paid millions to play basketball, he's not going through a terminal illness or getting sent to war. Stop making excuses for him. Do you believe in accountability?

I do think Williams has a lot of talent, but there have been countless players that have had more physical gifts and have flamed out. There are major issues with this guy from the neck up, so the thread title and the excuses people make for his behavior is pretty comical. At this point, Williams could murder someone and some will probably just blame it on the C's.
[/quote
Eddie is so full it"makings of a masterpiece" was  hyperbole but he has the 2nd highest vertical reach ever and bio mechanics that allow him to keep up with quards (P3) and two years of  SEC defensive player of year.He loves defense he gets up and down the court in transition,he closes out on perimeter with his 7-6 wingspan.
Eddie starts talking going off to war-the kid left his wallet at home misses a return flight, tries to squeeze a quick trip home because he was tired/stressed after being prodded and paraded to the press.It was just practice
The Celtics reacted after the fact putting in a support network.The guy was late for practice-so what.The coaching staff has nothing but glowing comments on his behavior and ability to learn.
With a personal trainer and a housemate problem solved .Even a chauffeur to Maine.
I saw enough in 6 minutes .
I wouldn't bet against this kid barring injury.
You must have a bad equation everything you run through it come out negative.
His teammate from his college team also at summer league said nothing but how good a person he is.
Businesmen have secretaries,,aides,personal assistants,gardeners chauffeurs,accountants,financial planners,shopping assistants,party planners,trainers,personal chefs,Drs, and lawyers and agents.This is a 20yr old boy from a one stoplight town
So he needed somebody he could trust and somebody to help plan and guide him around till
his teammates and support takes hold.
It started with a missed practice but his agent and the Celtics moved very quickly AFTER that.
So maybe the missed practice and support have headed off a more serious problem.

« Reply #715 on: July 10, 2018, 10:17:16 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Look in the mirror at your own accountability-you entered my message board telling me how i should post  and how you and several people felt that way.You continued a 2nd time  as your intimidation didn't succeed.
You have stalked me ever since baiting -

Re: Robert Williams officially signed
« Reply #716 on: July 10, 2018, 10:18:52 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
FWIW, one of his A&M teammates said that RW was never late for practice, and that he missed his flight to team's first practice because he forgot his wallet on the way to the airport.

Been there, done that.

Williams' knee issues revealed
« Reply #717 on: July 10, 2018, 10:25:56 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
https://articles.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2018/07/sources_boston_celtics_rookie.amp?__twitter_impression=true

LAS VEGAS -- Boston Celtics rookie Robert Williams has an artery condition in both of his legs, multiple sources tell MassLive.

A source described the condition as, "not too serious." It could, however, require a procedure if it were to degenerate down the line.

Popliteal artery entrapment syndrome (PAES), the vascular disease Williams has been dealing with, is found most often in athletes. Because of where the muscles and tendons around Williams' knee are positioned, they end up compressing the "popliteal artery," the main one behind the knee, restricting blood flow to the lower leg. It can lead to cramping and calf pain during exercise, per Johns Hopkins Medicine .

NBA teams, including the Celtics, were aware of Williams' condition at the time of the draft -- as was Texas A&M, where Williams went to college. The rookie has been playing with the condition for years, sources told MassLive. The L.A. Clippers' doctors performed his predraft physical and disseminated results to other organizations upon request, standard procedure for a prospect. The Celtics have also done their own physicals on Williams.

Re: Robert Williams' Knee / Artery Condition In Both Legs
« Reply #718 on: July 10, 2018, 10:29:42 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Might as well go ahead and shut him down, have the surgery and shelf him possibly for the year.

We do get Theis back and we may be able to sign a cheap big man to backup Baynes in a crunch.

Re: Robert Williams' Knee / Artery Condition In Both Legs
« Reply #719 on: July 10, 2018, 11:07:37 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Might as well go ahead and shut him down, have the surgery and shelf him possibly for the year.

We do get Theis back and we may be able to sign a cheap big man to backup Baynes in a crunch.

There's no need for surgery at this time. Relax..