Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 245339 times)

Re: structure arriving
« Reply #585 on: July 06, 2018, 12:04:35 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
One thing we should all be able to agree on here is that the young man is probably better off with those posters that show concern than those that think this is not a big deal let it go.

The lack of attention to character and responsible behavior is what fosters irresponsible behavior. Let it go is quite possibly the worst response.

The fact, that there are people moving him with him is proof positive that those around him see that he needs help. He needs help because there is a problem.

I think the folks with concerns win this one.

Win what? There's literally nobody here saying he shouldn't get structure and help. Get off your high horse about responsible behavior. People are simply reacting to the hot take that he's on drugs or doomed to flunk out of the NBA, not debating that he needs some assistance and carries some risk.

win what? the debate of course. You guys are having a debate if you had not notice. Some have said nothing to see here he is just 20 move on. Some are saying there is a concern that could end badly. Perhaps the debate would have ended earlier if some of you actually realized you were in a debate.

I haven't counted, but I don't think too many people are saying there's nothing to see. Clearly there is a maturity issue, I think most people see that and agree that it's not ideal. The debate seems to be between those who think that it's an issue that can be addressed and the kid has a decent chance of becoming a useful NBA player, and those who think he's a lost cause because of his lack of maturity.

Personally I don't find it at all unusual that a 20 year old would show a lack of maturity. I certainly agree that there are plenty of young people that are mature and responsible, but I don't think that means he is a lost cause. People can grow and mature. The Celts are implementing some steps to help him with that process. That's a perfectly reasonable thing for them to do.

He clearly isn’t mature and no one is arguing that he is. Given his immaturity, we think getting some help is better for than not, and there really is no argument against that. If you’re salty, you’re salty that we drafted him at all. But there was no other potential future starter on the board, and he was BPA and at our position of greatest need. Plus we have a winning culture.

Cry all you want, it was a great pick. He’s definitely screwed up, but the whole point is the team is supposed to be here to help and guide him.

Lastly, most dissenters in here are displaying “immaturity” by assassinating the character of a poor 20 year old for missing a flight, or writing him off. Maybe some of you guys have “a problem” too.

Thank you.. It's always nice when people take a look at themselves first...then maybe throw the darts at others.  There are many form of maturity....hitting the panic button and lashing out at an unknown quantity isn't one of them.

But I like the passion.  I will say that. 
It's no fun when a new toy makes us anxious with its minor glitches...  I'm anxious too.  I REEAALLY want this guy to succeed here in Boston!!  I have a strong desire to see him stuff an Embiid dunk attempt and guard tall wing sharpshooters on the perimeter...

Re: structure arriving
« Reply #586 on: July 06, 2018, 03:21:49 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
dont we already have 2 or 3 "lets all **** about/cheer on williams" threads already?

mods, maybe merge these all on williams?

my question is why does rollie have to start a new thread WITH NO LINK mind you for every single thought that pops in his head? Why can he not just add to existing threads?? Seems to be an attention seeker.

I am an older guy with no blog experience other than this one, so take my comments for what they’re worth.   Despite annoying tendencies of some posters, many of the annoyances are surpassed by what the poster brings to the table.   Cblog would be a worse “place” without Rollie.  I don’t always agree with or fully understand his posts, but am always glad he’s part of the community. Rollie is value-added.

This.

Re: Robert Williams and the makings of a masterpiece
« Reply #587 on: July 06, 2018, 07:44:20 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
First we start off at draft with a gifted acquisition at 27.A under coached 20 year old with tools not seen since the days of Celtics legend centers Russell and Cowens.
There is an excellent breakdown of his passing,shooting.offense and defense that shows a gifted athlete and need of professional coaching at NBA level.
I think it is on the Celtic organization to guide Robert so he is not overwhelmed -there is so much to work on with so many adjustments and distractions.
Big men come with a unique set of challenges.
Today we get introduced to the beginning of a possible legend and it will start soon with a play a foot over the box or a nasty come from behind block but it will be a jaw dropping display of athleticism

The beginning of a Possible legend and it will start with some jaw dropping athletic move from above the box -it may start tonight
 What we have is a 6-9 240 lb center with 7-6 inch wingspan that has the 2nd highest vertical reach ever 12.5 ft and has the bio mechanics that enable him to easily guard 5 positions laterally.This has been measured by P3. sport science
This kids vertical reach from standstill is 12 ft again measured by P3.
So we have here is an athletic anomaly that loves defence.
Larranaga has already called him coachable with volleyball like spikes and elbows above the rim dunks.Once the media buzz starts tonight it will carry on all week
.Thought i would post this in advance,on an original Williams thread-Remember the word possible and tools not seen since russell/cowens and you will see  above where i held team and organization accountable to provide structure for his immaturity well before the second mishap
 remember 2nd highest ever and off that by an inch and marry that to his unique bio mechanics
that allow for lateral-- Those are  some tools

« Reply #588 on: July 06, 2018, 09:49:49 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1558
MASTERPIECE?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HE CANNOT HOLD A CANDLE TO THEIS OR BAYNES

THEY AT LEAST SHOW UP!

Yeah, I love the upside Williams has, but there is a reason why he slipped. Teams are privy to information on a player and, more like than not, what they heard about Williams wasn't too positive.

agreed! but until he can show up consistently and show he wants to be here he is still at end of bench or going to maine.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #589 on: July 06, 2018, 10:28:48 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
MASTERPIECE?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

THEY AT LEAST SHOW UP!

Yeah, I love the upside Williams has, but there is a reason why he slipped. Teams are privy to information on a player and, more like than not, what they heard about Williams wasn't too positive.

agreed! but until he can show up consistently and show he wants to be here he is still at end of bench or going to maine.

I definitely think he's going to be in Maine all season.

« Reply #590 on: July 06, 2018, 11:04:02 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

I am going to reserve judgment until I see him play tonight.   I don't expect too much a few dunks and some blocks and decent rebounding.   

They may want Al to mentor him so he may stay up some of the season.

« Reply #591 on: July 06, 2018, 11:06:21 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I am going to reserve judgment until I see him play tonight.

I’m going to reserve judgment until the pre-season.

« Reply #592 on: July 06, 2018, 11:13:11 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I am going to reserve judgment until I see him play tonight.   I don't expect too much a few dunks and some blocks and decent rebounding.   

They may want Al to mentor him so he may stay up some of the season.

I don't think it's even in question. We're going to be starting small with Tatum and Hayward as the forwards and Horford at center. Then we have Baynes, Theis, and Morris (who'll likely still get some minutes at the 4) as rotational players. For sheer player development, he'll be in Maine getting reps, as opposed to being in Boston rotting on the bench.

Don't forget that once the grind of the regular season starts, practices are few and far between. All he'll be getting is morning shootarounds, but not many reps.

« Reply #593 on: July 06, 2018, 11:21:05 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
It's very difficult for big men to make an impression in Summer League. Guards jack up 3 pointers like there's not tomorrow. This means long rebounds and few blocked shots. And, refs allow an incredible amount of contact inside the paint.

Not expecting much from Robert tonight. I predict he'll score 6-8 points....mostly from put-backs and keen passing, one block, and 3 assists. What I'd want most is for him to commit few turnovers, grab a couple offensive rebounds and to alter a shot or two. 

« Reply #594 on: July 06, 2018, 11:25:26 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Lol don't kid yourself, Danny and Brad already stated they are looking to his immediate impact and that's why they draft him, he will learn from playing the game ,against and with the bests, his defensive versatility and ring running scoring ability, combined with his rebounding and passing, is more than enough to keep him in the game, especially we are going to blow out alot of teams while also try to rest our stars, he will have tons of opportunity, i can easily see him compete mins with Semi, and play more than Yabu.

« Reply #595 on: July 06, 2018, 11:26:13 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

I am going to reserve judgment until I see him play tonight.

I’m going to reserve judgment until the pre-season.

I'm going to reserve judgment until the season.

« Reply #596 on: July 06, 2018, 11:41:30 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
We're trying to win a championship. If Williams gets significant minutes for us, it either means

- he's well ahead of the learning curve and either ready to contribute positively or expected to get there soon with some regular season reps

- we have a ton of frontcourt injuries and we need bodies out there.

The first one seems unlikely and I hope like hell we miss out on the 2nd one, so a lot of G League time is the most likely result.

« Reply #597 on: July 06, 2018, 11:47:09 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
We're trying to win a championship. If Williams gets significant minutes for us, it either means

- he's well ahead of the learning curve and either ready to contribute positively or expected to get there soon with some regular season reps

The first one seems unlikely and I hope like hell we miss out on the 2nd one, so a lot of G League time is the most likely result.

You missed a third possibility.  We’re so good relative to the rest of the East that there is more rest given to the likes of Horford (off days on back-to-backs), and more garbage time minutes at the end of games.  This gives him enough opportunity for developmental minutes at the NBA level all season.

« Reply #598 on: July 06, 2018, 12:02:02 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
MASTERPIECE?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

THEY AT LEAST SHOW UP!

Maybe, but one Al Horford concussion away from being called up.  Brad likes using those Maine guys on a pinch.

« Reply #599 on: July 06, 2018, 12:09:09 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

You missed a third possibility.  We’re so good relative to the rest of the East that there is more rest given to the likes of Horford (off days on back-to-backs), and more garbage time minutes at the end of games.  This gives him enough opportunity for developmental minutes at the NBA level all season.

That's fair. The Warriors Special rotation would be nice.