Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 245768 times)

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
https://twitter.com/Murf56/status/1013808122920611848

What does it say?
R-Williams at today's practice after missing yesterday's opener. Danny Ainge on team's approach to the errant rookie: "We're trying to provide structure. ... A lot of people need to grow up, and there's consequences for their actions." Said discipline will be handled internally.

TP. Thanks.

CBS and Ainge both talk often about developing men, not just developing basketball players. They are and will continue to practice what they preach.

I still think that if Williams can reach his potential, the best place for him is in Boston.

Still annoying though.

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!
https://twitter.com/Murf56/status/1013808122920611848

What does it say?
R-Williams at today's practice after missing yesterday's opener. Danny Ainge on team's approach to the errant rookie: "We're trying to provide structure. ... A lot of people need to grow up, and there's consequences for their actions." Said discipline will be handled internally.

TP. Thanks.

CBS and Ainge both talk often about developing men, not just developing basketball players. They are and will continue to practice what they preach.

I still think that if Williams can reach his potential, the best place for him is in Boston.

Still annoying though.

If he can’t make it in this organization where can he? Time to grow up Robert.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Any one remember a young Celtic that kept an online blog? It may have been Rondo, but I can't recall.

Regardless, love to see Boo Butt keep a blog.  Just typical diary-like entries from day to day.

Bob, if you're reading this, let us into your world big guy.  We love you.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Re: Robert Williams and the makings of a masterpiece
« Reply #288 on: July 02, 2018, 01:04:35 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
MASTERPIECE?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HE CANNOT HOLD A CANDLE TO THEIS OR BAYNES

THEY AT LEAST SHOW UP!

Yeah, I love the upside Williams has, but there is a reason why he slipped. Teams are privy to information on a player and, more like than not, what they heard about Williams wasn't too positive.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 01:28:55 PM by Eddie20 »

Re: Robert Williams and the makings of a masterpiece
« Reply #289 on: July 02, 2018, 01:08:28 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
http://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1013537987492302848

Yeah, not the greatest start to Williams’ Celtics career...

Lol.  He's very young. 

so was i in 4th grade when i had to set alarms.

pathetic argument

Did I make an argument, or an observation? 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I'm not gonna bury the guy for being a dumbass but it feels like he's the kind of guy who sees getting drafted as the end of a journey rather than the beginning of one. Hopefully that gets drummed out of him quick or he'll be out of the league before he knows it.

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I'm not gonna bury the guy for being a dumbass but it feels like he's the kind of guy who sees getting drafted as the end of a journey rather than the beginning of one. Hopefully that gets drummed out of him quick or he'll be out of the league before he knows it.
Right now he is living off his agent's money. His agent should have someone taking care of him.
I am hopeful he is now going to stay in Boston until summer league and have someone take care of him. Hopefully the wake up call was loud and clear.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Did he miss the flight or was the flight cancelled or delayed such that he didn't get back in time.  He still have planned better, but there is a difference.

We have no idea. He's practicing today apparently...

Since the team was upset, it’s unlikely that this one is on the airline.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Did he miss the flight or was the flight cancelled or delayed such that he didn't get back in time.  He still have planned better, but there is a difference.

We have no idea. He's practicing today apparently...

Since the team was upset, it’s unlikely that this one is on the airline.

Probably not, but whatevs at this point. He'll either get the message or not. I'm thinking he will..

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
If you haven't grown up like Robert, it's easy to call him lazy and irresponsible, but he's a product of his upbringing.  He grew up in a town of 1,000 people.  His family is clearly dysfunctional, otherwise one of the 50 people at BWW's would have woken him up for his conference call and helped him catch his flight.  He's sheltered -- he didn't even want to play AAU because he was afraid to leave home.  He's likely never owned a decent car, he may never have been to an airport before college.  He doesn't know what TSA stands for.  He probably doesn't understand how car insurance works even though he's a smart kid.  His town doesn't have public transit.  They don't teach you this $hit in school.  He's from a communal culture where people support one another, but in ways that are different from urban/ upper class values. I was raised in a culture like this.  This is what people mean by cycle of poverty.  He's not necessarily lazy or irresponsible, but it's hard to break out of because that's where he's comfortable.  Larry Bird quit school and nearly ended up a garbage man.  Was he lazy?

Add to this that he's showing some glaring signs of substance abuse.  There was no reason for him to fly home for a day.  The kid needs some help.

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
I hate to say it, but there are a lot of racist sounding posts in this thread. I expect better from Celticsblog.

Point to one?

Below are all literally posts from this thread, and missing is the post that has since been deleted predicting that Williams' future will be as a minimum wage laborer sweeping floors.

"the thing I dislike the most is that he talks about working hard, ability to work hard....   time to get my sheet together"

"this guy should not be allowed to be alone. pair him up with a roommate moving forward.  And a guy who won't lie for him in case he wants to sneak out or something."

"Once he gets to Boston they can get him a babysitter."

"His agent needs to hire someone to get him through the summer."

"I'd test him for drugs the second he gets to the team and if it's positive I'd tell him to drive up to Maine where he will be remaining with the Red Claws till at least the All Star break. This cycle has to end immediately. If he doesn't test positive make him carry the bags and fetch everyone water during all summer league. In practice he wears a yellow jersey till he earns a green one."

"Well what is the good reason for missing the flight?  I mean how much are we going to baby this guy and shrug our shoulders? Were you late for work your first day? How about your 2nd day? There need to be immediate clear consequences. Personally I think he was gonna be on the flight but then he got high. Na na na na na na. I'd like to know why."

"Keep him away from our young guys.  I don’t want Williams to influence any of our young players. Heck, if it was me, I will not let him inside the facilities,  cut our losses now."

"I'm with eja117 in that I thought it was some kind of substance abuse when he missed the conference call and this episode reinforces my thoughts.  What else would cause the guy to not care about the responsibilities related to his new job?  It could also be the reason he hightailed it out of Boston and flew home for such a short time."

"I'm off the band wagon on this guy. Probably a bust. He doesn't have the commitment clearly to succeed. Sad case of a talented player who doesn't like basketball."

"This has substance abuse all over it. Hopefully he's getting the last bits of need out of his system."

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
If you haven't grown up like Robert, it's easy to call him lazy and irresponsible, but he's a product of his upbringing.  He grew up in a town of 1,000 people.  His family is clearly dysfunctional, otherwise one of the 50 people at BWW's would have woken him up for his conference call and helped him catch his flight.  He's sheltered -- he didn't even want to play AAU because he was afraid to leave home.  He's likely never owned a decent car, he may never have been to an airport before college.  He doesn't know what TSA stands for.  He probably doesn't understand how car insurance works even though he's a smart kid.  His town doesn't have public transit.  They don't teach you this $hit in school.  He's from a communal culture where people support one another, but in ways that are different from urban/ upper class values. I was raised in a culture like this.  This is what people mean by cycle of poverty.  He's not necessarily lazy or irresponsible, but it's hard to break out of because that's where he's comfortable.  Larry Bird quit school and nearly ended up a garbage man.  Was he lazy?

Add to this that he's showing some glaring signs of substance abuse.  There was no reason for him to fly home for a day.  The kid needs some help.

He's basically Perk. Perk was a fat tub of lard southern good ol' boy coming into the league. He had to basically completely retrain his entire life for the NBA.

RW3 will be fine. Might be nice for Chief to swing by and chat with him a bit..

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Marcus Smart slept through a practice in the playoffs, was playing at 245, and missed weeks for punching a mirror frame when one of his girls exposed him on IG. One of the hardest working dudes on the team.

Long way before I lose faith in Rob.

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
I hate to say it, but there are a lot of racist sounding posts in this thread. I expect better from Celticsblog.

Point to one?

Below are all literally posts from this thread, and missing is the post that has since been deleted predicting that Williams' future will be as a minimum wage laborer sweeping floors.

"the thing I dislike the most is that he talks about working hard, ability to work hard....   time to get my sheet together"

"this guy should not be allowed to be alone. pair him up with a roommate moving forward.  And a guy who won't lie for him in case he wants to sneak out or something."

"Once he gets to Boston they can get him a babysitter."

"His agent needs to hire someone to get him through the summer."

"I'd test him for drugs the second he gets to the team and if it's positive I'd tell him to drive up to Maine where he will be remaining with the Red Claws till at least the All Star break. This cycle has to end immediately. If he doesn't test positive make him carry the bags and fetch everyone water during all summer league. In practice he wears a yellow jersey till he earns a green one."

"Well what is the good reason for missing the flight?  I mean how much are we going to baby this guy and shrug our shoulders? Were you late for work your first day? How about your 2nd day? There need to be immediate clear consequences. Personally I think he was gonna be on the flight but then he got high. Na na na na na na. I'd like to know why."

"Keep him away from our young guys.  I don’t want Williams to influence any of our young players. Heck, if it was me, I will not let him inside the facilities,  cut our losses now."

"I'm with eja117 in that I thought it was some kind of substance abuse when he missed the conference call and this episode reinforces my thoughts.  What else would cause the guy to not care about the responsibilities related to his new job?  It could also be the reason he hightailed it out of Boston and flew home for such a short time."

"I'm off the band wagon on this guy. Probably a bust. He doesn't have the commitment clearly to succeed. Sad case of a talented player who doesn't like basketball."

"This has substance abuse all over it. Hopefully he's getting the last bits of need out of his system."

That's just attributing a whole lot of mundane noises to the movements of ghosts.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Marcus Smart slept through a practice in the playoffs, was playing at 245, and missed weeks for punching a mirror frame when one of his girls exposed him on IG. One of the hardest working dudes on the team.

Long way before I lose faith in Rob.

As a RW supporter, this annoys me because it gives his detractors ammunition as a best case scenario, and as a worst case scenario it indicates that he's a long shot.  But I'm not going to crucify the kid for this.  I'm reserving my judgement until after Summer League.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07