Author Topic: IT will be free (Should we sign him)  (Read 10457 times)

Re: IT will be free (Should we sign him)
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2020, 05:59:20 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
"The Clippers have given IT clothes! IT is freeeeeee......."

Absolutely sign him. It would be nice for him to circle back and end his career here.

Mike

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2020, 07:09:17 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Loved him, but he's a below-average shooter now and his defense has become even worse.

He’s shooting over 40% from 3PT.

The real area where his game has declined is getting to the line.

His TS% is 53.1% vs 56.0% for the median qualifying NBA player. IT was always a better than average shooter on this measure prior to his injury. He shoots better from 3 than 2 now and the last two years has averaged 39+ and 40+% from within the arc vs a career average of 48+%. That's a huge drop. Last but not least, IT currently has the second-worst overall box score +/- and the worst defensive box score +/- among all qualifying NBA players.

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2020, 07:12:39 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
Worth a shot. I can definitely see him having one playoff game where he gets hot for a quarter and wins a game for us. I don't see that potentially happening, or even something remotely close from abyone outside of our main five guys right now.

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2020, 07:44:06 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
IMO We need a legit power forward that can score a little, defend, and rebound for that second unit. Perhaps someone that doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective. We'll need more size for the Bucks, 76'ers, and Lakers of the NBA.

A healthy IT would be effective as a scorer off the bench, but this current version...I'll pass, as interesting as the story line would be.

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2020, 07:49:30 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
If he can grow 15 inches taller in the next week ,  might be good deal for Boston , otherwise NO!

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2020, 09:27:28 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I think IT's days have passed unfortunately. Sucks that he ruined his career playing for us, but life isn't always fair. Always loved the Little Guy but it would purely be a sympathy signing and we don't really have that luxury. His offense isn't enough to cover his defensive deficiencies these days.

Put it this way - if he had never played for us would we be interested in signing him?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2020, 12:32:28 AM »

Offline uconnceltic

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
If this was two years ago I would say yes, but now, no.

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2020, 05:15:50 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
IT turned into a bit of a locker room headache in a couple places after leaving here. I don't think he would be a good addition given he isn't close to what he once was but seems to still think he is. I am not sure he would be able to supplant Wanamaker on the depth chart and could be a locker room distraction.

So, it's a no from me.

I do want to give the OP a TP though. We always need to continue the Celticsblog/CelticsStrong tradition of the "Bring Back _________(fill in blank with ex-Celtic) Thread". We just can't have a season without one.

For the record, I’d still gladly sign Antoine, the Captain, KG, and Perk, just to sit at the end of the bench.

For the record, so do I.

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2020, 10:13:33 AM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
I'd like to see him on a bottom feeder that actually focuses on him on the offensive end again. Then he could get a final big contract.

Not sure who that could be.

I love IT but I can't see him getting a big contract. If he puts up big numbers on a bad team, any GM worth their salt will recognize it for what it is - OK, maybe the Knicks overpay him.

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2020, 10:19:12 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
IMO We need a legit power forward that can score a little, defend, and rebound for that second unit. Perhaps someone that doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective. We'll need more size for the Bucks, 76'ers, and Lakers of the NBA.

A healthy IT would be effective as a scorer off the bench, but this current version...I'll pass, as interesting as the story line would be.

Yeah, that’s why Ainge made offers for Bertans, but I don’t think you’ll find that player on the waiver market this year.

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2020, 10:43:00 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
IT is extremely popular guy in Boston.   Would not mind him at all as a assistant coach job .  Looking after the 2-4 young guards DA is always going to be raising from teens .  IT is a tuff street smart fellow . 

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2020, 10:50:08 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
He'd have the most celebrated return since Toine, maybe ever. But I'm not sure we can use him. He'd need Wanamaker's minutes and I don't think that's in our interests unfortunately.

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2020, 12:09:28 PM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
I don't think Ainge would want to have to ever cut or release him again. 

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2020, 12:13:10 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I don't think Ainge would want to have to ever cut or release him again.

Yeah I could see it being a factor.

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2020, 12:33:58 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
He'd have the most celebrated return since Toine, maybe ever. But I'm not sure we can use him. He'd need Wanamaker's minutes and I don't think that's in our interests unfortunately.

I think the starter would get cut about two minutes each if you brought him in now. Gives guys a bit more rest heading into the playoffs. He also has that chip on his at we need. Him and smart are better than Wanamaker and smart in the playoffs. He’d be our Eddie house.