Author Topic: Will Chris Paul contract ruin Houston's franchise?  (Read 915 times)

Will Chris Paul contract ruin Houston's franchise?
« on: December 21, 2018, 02:19:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Chris Paul is out indefinitely with a hamstring tear/pull. It is his already his second injury of season. He signed a 4 year 160 million dollar contract this offseason (more expensive than Lebron's deal).

Re: Will Chris Paul contract ruin Houston's franchise?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 02:22:48 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Chris Paul is out indefinitely with a hamstring tear/pull. It is his already his second injury of season. He signed a 4 year 160 million dollar contract this offseason (more expensive than Lebron's deal).

Probably the worst deal of the century, when you take into account how horrible Wall's looks already.

Yeah... Let's give an aging 32 point guard that even got injured in the previous playoffs, the most lucrative super max contract.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 02:29:18 PM by Monkhouse »
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 02:56:04 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I'll go on a limb and assert no team trying to rebuild who gives a supermax is able to assemble a Finals roster due to lack of depth. Detroit with Grifffin and Wash with Wall too.

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 03:00:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I think it depends on if he is healthy when the playoffs roll around (and that he plays enough for the Rockets to make the playoffs).  If the Rockets keep getting into the playoffs and Paul is healthy for the playoffs, then, while he is overpaid, I don't think it will cripple the franchise, because they couldn't really do much with that money any way given the high salaries they are paying Harden and Capela over the same timeframe (I mean those 2 are over 60 million alone in 21-22 when Paul also expires). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 03:00:48 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
in response to the thread's title.....we can certainly hope so.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 03:06:43 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Hamstring tear is no joke. Do we know what Grade it is? A Grade 2 could keep him out for 2 months plus. A Grade 1 is not as bad but could still keep him out up to a month. Sometimes bad hamstring tears can linger to.

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 03:08:34 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I think it depends on if he is healthy when the playoffs roll around (and that he plays enough for the Rockets to make the playoffs).  If the Rockets keep getting into the playoffs and Paul is healthy for the playoffs, then, while he is overpaid, I don't think it will cripple the franchise, because they couldn't really do much with that money any way given the high salaries they are paying Harden and Capela over the same timeframe (I mean those 2 are over 60 million alone in 21-22 when Paul also expires).

starting to seem they have a very good chance of not even making the playoffs, making it as very low seed. That is the first year of the deal though! What happens next season, two seasons from now?

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 03:15:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's a pretty terrible contract.

Obviously, if Paul hadn't injured himself in Game 5 of the playoffs last year, and they went on to win the title, I'm sure Houston fans would say it was well worth it.

I'm sure they were expecting that Paul would give them at least a couple years of solid All-Star / borderline superstar play before he started to really fall off and have trouble staying on the floor.

This is pretty much a worst case scenario for how that deal has worked out for them.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 03:18:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
It's a pretty terrible contract.

Obviously, if Paul hadn't injured himself in Game 5 of the playoffs last year, and they went on to win the title, I'm sure Houston fans would say it was well worth it.

I'm sure they were expecting that Paul would give them at least a couple years of solid All-Star / borderline superstar play before he started to really fall off and have trouble staying on the floor.

This is pretty much a worst case scenario for how that deal has worked out for them.
They are 16-10 with him and 0-5 without him.  He clearly matters a great deal to their actual performance.  And I think they knew they might get 60ish games from him every year.  The key will be, is he healthy for the playoffs and does he make it through the playoffs.  With Paul they have a real shot at beating every team in the league that is not Golden State (at least this year), without Paul, if they even make the playoffs they are a 1st round loser type team. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip