Author Topic: Dumb trade ideas from NBA "experts".  (Read 3579 times)

Re: Dumb trade ideas from NBA "experts".
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 03:25:38 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Wow. I didn't expect them to be that bad when I clicked on the topic.
He kept digging the hole deeper too playing defense.

Basically he thinks Brown/Tatum are too good to be held back by Kyrie/Hayward so we need to preemptively blow up the team for cap space to extend Brown/Tatum.

Which, is

a) assuming a problem before it occurs
b) wasting two years of contending before the problem would manifest
c) even if you are trading Kyrie/Hayward awful value

Thorpe is an interesting guy to listen to about coaching players on developing and his experience with his clients, but is among the worst armchair gm/coaches

I like the part where Brown and Tatum would be unhappy with a reduction in time and touches.

Yeah, he mentioned Brown and Tatum's agents not liking the idea of playing behind Hayward and Irving next year. Pretty sure we're a couple years removed from the second best player in the NBA purposely joining a team that would limit his touches.

The Starting five is Horford, Tatum, Brown, Hayward, and Kyrie.

Think about that for a second: Jayson Tatum is going to be the worst player in our starting line-up next year.

It's not that I don't care about this year, but I really can't wait for next year!

Mike

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 03:29:51 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

Basically he thinks Brown/Tatum are too good to be held back by Kyrie/Hayward so we need to preemptively blow up the team for cap space to extend Brown/Tatum.

Which, is

Thorpe is an interesting guy to listen to about coaching players on developing and his experience with his clients, but is among the worst armchair gm/coaches

I like the part where Brown and Tatum would be unhappy with a reduction in time and touches.

Yeah, he mentioned Brown and Tatum's agents not liking the idea of playing behind Hayward and Irving next year. Pretty sure we're a couple years removed from the second best player in the NBA purposely joining a team that would limit his touches.

The Starting five is Horford, Tatum, Brown, Hayward, and Kyrie.

Think about that for a second: Jayson Tatum is going to be the worst player in our starting line-up next year.

It's not that I don't care about this year, but I really can't wait for next year!

Mike

When we defend our championship? Yeah, that'll be fun!

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 03:31:53 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
My all-time favorite, from Peter May:
I think this article sums it up best of all:

http://www.espn.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/2004/peter-may-an-embarrassment  ;D

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 03:41:27 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I must be the only person to see the sarcasm in Thorpe's tweet. I'm not on twitter, so I don't know anything further besides what was included in the OP's post. The impression that I got from the tweet, is that you don't need star players as long as you have a team of 6'8" and over guys. It's almost as if he's mocking the success of this Celtics team. There is no way that he is serious about those trades.

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 03:45:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
My all-time favorite, from Peter May:
I think this article sums it up best of all:

http://www.espn.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/2004/peter-may-an-embarrassment  ;D

Pretty much. And hat tip for the Jeff Clark blast from the past.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2018, 03:48:43 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I must be the only person to see the sarcasm in Thorpe's tweet. I'm not on twitter, so I don't know anything further besides what was included in the OP's post. The impression that I got from the tweet, is that you don't need star players as long as you have a team of 6'8" and over guys. It's almost as if he's mocking the success of this Celtics team. There is no way that he is serious about those trades.
He literally doubled down and argued about it with probably 20 more tweets as he got roasted on twitter about it.

He was quite serious, I expect him to argue it again in a podcast he's usually on this afternoon.

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2018, 03:53:24 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
He literally doubled down and argued about it with probably 20 more tweets as he got roasted on twitter about it.

He was quite serious, I expect him to argue it again in a podcast he's usually on this afternoon.

He is defending his idea: "Brown and Tatum getting 28 shots a game in the postseason, 7+ ft's a game combined. Irving and Hayward will get about 32 shots a game next year plus 9+ ft's combined. You think Brown and Tatum will still get 28? Cause they will want 32+, might get far less."

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2018, 03:54:18 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Which, is

I don’t know why so many believe they have to play behind the two all-stars.

Opening night Brown and Tatum were starters, alongside Irving, Hawayrd, and Horford.

Rozier is the only one that would be relegated to a different role than he currently has. Smart has been the sixth man on this team. We all know the big dilemma for Ainge is what to do with those two (keep one, keep both, let Smart walk AND sell high on Rozier?), but the other two players will be just fine next to our vets.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2018, 03:54:41 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
And This exchange: James Scola

@cocascola
 20h20 hours ago
More
maybe, just maybe, hayward and kyrie will scale back their usage knowing that this team-oriented ball could lead to a title.  has this ever crossed your mind?

david b. thorpe

More
Now that's funny.

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2018, 04:23:01 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

You very well are most likely correct. However, I have a hard time believing that he is that dumb. Maybe I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, and I'm associating it to trolling his followers. I'm going to file this in the same draw as Kyrie's flat Earth trolling theory.

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2018, 04:39:14 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
This is what happens when people get buried in their own over-analysis.

Brown & Tatum have shown every indication that they want to win, and would be on board with at least a couple years of title contention playing key roles, even if everyone can't score 20 every night. Teams like GS, HOU, TOR all scored 5-10 points more every night that us this year, no reason we can't get to that level which means more for everyone.

Morris and Semi played over 40MPG this year, and as great as their playoff roles have been, are totally expendable in the regular season vs Brown, Tatum and Hayward.

Not everyone is going to be healthy.

Hayward will be brought back slowly.

Irving will be brought back slowly.

Guys will get rest nights off.

Tatum, Brown, Hayward will all have opportunities to play the "4" at times.

Smart may not return.

TL;DR; trading away stars 'cause we have too many is pretty dumb.

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2018, 04:56:58 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I am inspired by a David Thorpe tweet about what the Celtics should do.

@coachthorpe
Follow Follow @coachthorpe
More
Play a game with me. Say the Celts make it to the Finals and even win 1 or 2. Say Ainge wants this same core to grow together. So he moves Kyrie to the Lakers for Kuzma, Deng (who gets waived), and some picks. Then Hayward to Mavs for Powell, Barnes, picks. Lots of 6'8+ guys.

So I figure we should start a list of bad trade ideas by NBA "experts"

So whenever you see a talking head try (and fail badly) to play GM, post.

I'm trying to figure out the logic behind that tweet, but I'm honestly stumped. Why would we trade our best players for okay players, bad contracts, and bad picks?

If I'm following this "thought process" correctly, he's trying to find some way to instantly turn the Lakers into a contender, again, via a trade that wouldn't even go through on 2K, lol ;D, but, you know, it's the Lakers, so logic ::). I think.

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2018, 04:16:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'm not sure his premise is wrong (though trading Hayward would be a terrible message), but his execution on his premise was terrible.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip