Author Topic: Celtics (8-5) at 76ers (10-5) Game #14 1/22/21  (Read 31915 times)

Re: Celtics (8-5) at 76ers (10-5) Game #14 1/22/21
« Reply #465 on: January 23, 2021, 03:13:35 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I’m so disheartened watching Teague and Williams. The bench is legit worse than last year. Ainge needs to use the TPE for legit help on the bench.
Yup also sickening watching Howard destroy Rob Williams

Rob’s first game back playing after COVID. He looked pretty beat 2nd half. He did struggle keeping Howard off the glass.

« Reply #466 on: January 23, 2021, 03:51:44 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
This team is becoming quite a concern. But it showed when the best signings we got were Tristan Thompson and Jeff Teague.

Would be good to re-read posts prior to the Knicks game - maybe after the Orlando win when the C’s were 8-3 and looking like they could complete with anyone — Tatum was out, AND C’s were getting Kemba back. That game was a week ago.  I agree there are big concerns on this team especially competing v. teams with strong inside presence, but 20-21 has already been topsy-turvy re: the feel of what this team can do.  Can’t forget that C’s rode a 5 game win streak into this latest team-depleting Covid surge and have yet to play one minute of basketball with their true starting lineup.   I’ll be more, or maybe less, concerned after a few games with Tatum back and Kemba unrestricted - that crew needs to find itself (or not) before the die is cast on this team.

« Reply #467 on: January 23, 2021, 05:05:26 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
This team is becoming quite a concern. But it showed when the best signings we got were Tristan Thompson and Jeff Teague.

Would be good to re-read posts prior to the Knicks game - maybe after the Orlando win when the C’s were 8-3 and looking like they could complete with anyone — Tatum was out, AND C’s were getting Kemba back. That game was a week ago.  I agree there are big concerns on this team especially competing v. teams with strong inside presence, but 20-21 has already been topsy-turvy re: the feel of what this team can do.  Can’t forget that C’s rode a 5 game win streak into this latest team-depleting Covid surge and have yet to play one minute of basketball with their true starting lineup.   I’ll be more, or maybe less, concerned after a few games with Tatum back and Kemba unrestricted - that crew needs to find itself (or not) before the die is cast on this team.
I think we'll be fine against Philly once all hands are on deck: we're trotting out a lot of players who can only handle backup or third string minutes with Tatum out. Semi, Javonte, Grant and Robert combined for 65 minutes tonight - I don't think any title contender doing well right now is playing replacement level players that many minutes.

Our full strength rotation looks much better than what we currently have:
PG: Kemba, FastPP/Teague
SG: Smart, Javonte/Langford, Edwards
SF: Brown, Semi, Nesmith
PF: Tatum, Grant
C: TT, Theis, Robert

With the right mixing and matching (we can go big with Theis/TT or go small with FastPP/Teague) we can really limit the amount of time that Javonte/Semi/Grant/Robert play and pretty much prevent 2 or more of them playing at the same time.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #468 on: January 23, 2021, 06:19:54 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
When Embid had 4 fouls and was benched, the horrible performances of Teague and the Williams just put our head under water, when we were supposed to profit of Embid absence. And bad choices Smart just closed the coffin with his bad defense, bad pass, bad attacking the paint. But this was just one match truth.

What is more reliable about this two matchs is that Philly is one of the 4 teams to fight for the Finals. Embid could very well be MVP. But their duo problems/complementary questions are not solved. They beat us twice at home (where they are 41-5 or something since last year and beat us twice last year). OK. But still our duo Tatum-Brown is a biggest key to succeed than their duo.
We don't have this problem; Brown was extatic, puting the great Philly and Simmons defense in his pockets. Easy. He has made a big step last year and huge one this year. Offensivelly he looks so many time so clean, such a natural scorer, not forcing, the game coming to him. He has developped so much tools. This should just stop the bad drafter danny post.

Now we litterally have two wings superstar, as they will be both recognized this year. And they are complementary by the way. Having a top 8 all star PG as a third option make our team a unique top 3 in the league. Still in progress (but they are coming quick). Building a better bench or finding a 4th option with TPE should be doable. But this year Danny must do it and find a way and find a good TPE guy and a trade of youth(s) VS vet.

« Reply #469 on: January 23, 2021, 08:39:30 AM »

Offline 100% Celt

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 25
Would have been embarrassing if Jaylen Brown hadn't played so well. Marcus Smart's shooting was abysmal.

« Reply #470 on: January 23, 2021, 09:30:22 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
we are missing our best player in Jayson Tatum. of course we are going to struggle.

the only thing these games have shown me is that Jaylen Brown is definitely a clear #2 or 1A to tatum and should not be traded at any costs

« Reply #471 on: January 23, 2021, 09:34:28 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
When Embid had 4 fouls and was benched, the horrible performances of Teague and the Williams just put our head under water, when we were supposed to profit of Embid absence. And bad choices Smart just closed the coffin with his bad defense, bad pass, bad attacking the paint. But this was just one match truth.

What is more reliable about this two matchs is that Philly is one of the 4 teams to fight for the Finals. Embid could very well be MVP. But their duo problems/complementary questions are not solved. They beat us twice at home (where they are 41-5 or something since last year and beat us twice last year). OK. But still our duo Tatum-Brown is a biggest key to succeed than their duo.
We don't have this problem; Brown was extatic, puting the great Philly and Simmons defense in his pockets. Easy. He has made a big step last year and huge one this year. Offensivelly he looks so many time so clean, such a natural scorer, not forcing, the game coming to him. He has developped so much tools. This should just stop the bad drafter danny post.

Now we litterally have two wings superstar, as they will be both recognized this year. And they are complementary by the way. Having a top 8 all star PG as a third option make our team a unique top 3 in the league. Still in progress (but they are coming quick). Building a better bench or finding a 4th option with TPE should be doable. But this year Danny must do it and find a way and find a good TPE guy and a trade of youth(s) VS vet.
I don’t think embiid is our only problem. For whatever reason Doc unlocks the best out of Tobias and he has looked like a solid second (contender like team) option out there. No hesitation ... good shooting (great even). Few stupid plays and turnovers. Then they have Milton and Maxey that are both improving fast and can score 30  when the game is coming to them. They also brought in better shooters to surround Simmons with. Philly are definitely better than last year

« Reply #472 on: January 23, 2021, 10:03:14 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I know we didn't have Tatum. But Dwight Howard was a great addition to the Sixers, and same with Curry + Green. And they no longer have Brett Brown. So while I think we're still going to be fine when Tatum returns, I don't think these Sixers are the same "pushovers" as years past. They'll be a real tough out in a potential playoff series this time around.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #473 on: January 23, 2021, 10:14:42 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I know we didn't have Tatum. But Dwight Howard was a great addition to the Sixers, and same with Curry + Green. And they no longer have Brett Brown. So while I think we're still going to be fine when Tatum returns, I don't think these Sixers are the same "pushovers" as years past. They'll be a real tough out in a potential playoff series this time around.

They definitely look better, but I do think the addition of Curry/Green is overrated, as they coincide with the subtraction of Richardson/Horford - who were also good players.

It's impossible to compare these games to the Sixers series last season where they were missing Simmons and we had Tatum. A full strength match-up will be interesting, but yeah, I would definitely prefer Howard over Thompson.

« Reply #474 on: January 23, 2021, 06:14:30 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361

TP, totally agree with this point in particular. Embiid going to the bench with 4 fouls and them going on a run due to Teague and GWill turnovers killed us. I especially hate the fact that GWill took a shot then turned to the ref standing there arguing with him while the Sixers recovered the ball and swept back down the court for a 4-on-5 fastbreak that they converted even before Gwill got back in the frame. It's bad enough when Tatum always argues with refs but at least he doesn't stand there while he does it, he runs back. If I was Brad I would have pulled him for that, but it's uncharacteristic of someone with his work ethic.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #475 on: January 24, 2021, 09:22:07 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CELTICS

« Reply #476 on: January 24, 2021, 09:22:34 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871