Author Topic: What is the Cooz's legacy with the Celtics?  (Read 1985 times)

What is the Cooz's legacy with the Celtics?
« on: January 20, 2016, 09:22:35 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
We hear a lot about Russell and Red, and Tommy has kind of been that guy who has carried on the legacy that Red instilled in these guys.  Tommy said that you think Magic is a good passer,or you think Stockton is a good passer, multiply that ten fold and you have Bob Cousy. Those guys were about setting their teammates up with the pass and creating.  Cooz was known as the Houdini of the hardwood in a different era.   Players used to dribble predominantly with their right hand but Cooz was amidextrous.  There's stilll that video in my mind of Cousy dribbliing out the clock and being mobbed by the fans.  And Bob Cousy day in Boston and Cousy saying it's nice to hear although his ego doesn't require it.  Hats off to the Cooz though.  We haven't heard from him in a while.  He's getting up there and read he's been in good health most of his life but starting to catch up to him.  I read about his wife passing and the nice thing he did.  I live in Worcester here for the past ten years really right down the street.  Never met him but used to play at a court Bob Cousy used to frequent quite a bit the groundskeeper told me.

Re: What is the Cooz's legacy with the Celtics?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 12:05:22 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think he's a little forgotten, a lot of that because he played in the shadow of a top-5 player in league history and a lot because of the way the game has changed.  For his era, though, he was an absolutely dominant player (with a league MVP to show for it).  Assists were awarded much more sparingly in Cousy's era, and he still put up big numbers.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 12:42:35 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
That's why I brought it up. Cooz always seemed like a guy who was pass first and didn't need the spotlight or even want it.  Probably why he isn't in the spotlight.  But why I thought it was important to make this post.

I just think of the irony there.  Houdini of the Hardwood in more ways than one.  Kind of just vanishes in his own way.  He was a passer and that's sort of unselfish in it's own way.

I kind of understand that mindset because when I would play basketball growing up I'd always try to be a pass first sort of player and play defense and rebound.  Scoring took me a bit to get good at.

Players we see today and  in the 90's all went through that phase of trying to be like Mike and some of those other aspects suffered.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:46:27 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 12:45:29 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Cool poster of Cousy and Russell though.  cousy was pretty cool back then and so were all those guys.  I wasn't alive but they had style in their own way.

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/9667/10518177_1.jpg?v=8CDCF29AB3FC580

He even looks a bit like a magician or Houdini.