Author Topic: The Celtics Mount Rushmore - Players only  (Read 16204 times)

Re: The Celtics Mount Rushmore - Players only
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 10:29:33 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
think it would probably be
Russell, Bird, Hondo and probably Cowens.

Could be swayed to replace Cowens with Pierce or Cousy but Cowens was the backbone of those 70's teams. 

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2015, 10:35:43 AM »

Offline 33_Larry Legend_33

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 87
Larry Bird
Bill Russell
John Havlicek
Paul Pierce

Tough to leave off Cousy, and even McHale.  An argument could also be made for Parish as he was an overlooked, long-term player with Boston - he ended up outlasting Bird & McHale in a C's jersey.

As much as I love KG, his time in Boston doesn't render him eligible for this.  Influential, yes, but not even close to the impact of many others with regard to long-time Celtics greats.

Fun topic!

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2015, 10:44:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Sirius NBA radio was discussing teams Mount Rushmore's.  I wasn't listening long enough to hear if they discussed the Celtics, but it got me to thinking.  Who is on the Celtics Mount Rushmore, if you look at players only?

You weren't listening long enough to hear them discuss the Celtics?  I feel like there's only 2 teams you can even have this discussion with Lakers and Celtics.  It's like even if you listened for only 30 seconds they'd have to hit on the Celtics.  Just curious who they did talk about and what they said?

I feel it's got to be a generational thing, one from each generation:

Cousy, Russell, Hondo, Bird.

Maybe swap Hondo for Cowens?

Unfortately then there was that drop off after that, Pierce and Garnett was just too little, too late to get on there.

Lakers are also interesting, do you only do four faces?  Do you include Minneapolis?

First thoughts I'm thinking Mikan, West, Magic, Kobe.  If you're only talking LA, then I'd replace Mikan with Kareem.  No Baylor, Wilt, or Shaq.

I can't think of any other team that should have a Mt. Rushmore.
They went to a commercial and then I went to work.  They had the Spurs and Heat when I was listening. 

Spurs - Gervin, Robinson, Duncan, Parker
Heat - Mourning, Hardaway, Wade, James

Some debate as to whether James belonged, but Shaq and someone like Haslem were the only other people they thought made sense and James was better and responsible for more titles, so they kept him on there.

But that is where it gets interesting with newer teams or teams that haven't had a lot of players.  All teams can have a Mt. Rushmore, just interesting to see who you put on it.

Oh and there are plenty of teams that could have a very nice looking Mt. Rushmore.  It isn't just the Lakers and Celtics who can claim that.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 10:50:50 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2015, 11:16:55 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Oh and there are plenty of teams that could have a very nice looking Mt. Rushmore.  It isn't just the Lakers and Celtics who can claim that.

Well sure technically, any team can have a Mt. Rushmore, even the Maine Red Claws if they really want.

But I'm surprised to hear that from you, because I feel that gets more into the "retired jersey" debate, which I believe you have pretty high standards for (which I tend to agree with).  Wouldn't this be even more of an honor than a retired jersey?  Sure the Kings can put a guy like Webber on their Mt. Rushmore just like they retired his jersey.  But does he really deserve to be on a Mt. Rushmore?  I always enjoyed watching the Mourning and Hardaway teams, but a Mt. Rushmore?  Isn't that a lot higher of an honor than a retired jersey?  (Unless I'm mistaken about your retired jersey stance).

To me it goes something like: jersey retired < statue out front < Mt. Rushmore

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2015, 11:32:23 AM »

Online gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I don't see how you could leave Russell, Bird, Havlicek off the Mt. Rushmore.

The fourth spot is where it gets tough. I'd personally choose Pierce (partly because he's the one closest to my generation). But I wouldn't argue against McHale, Cousy or Cowens there.

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2015, 11:35:25 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Russell, Hondo, Bird, Pierce

There's no real discussion to be had on this.  Those four guys are the most iconic players over the history of this team, and they encompass all the major eras of the Celtics' success.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2015, 11:37:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Well sure technically, any team can have a Mt. Rushmore, even the Maine Red Claws if they really want.

But I'm surprised to hear that from you, because I feel that gets more into the "retired jersey" debate, which I believe you have pretty high standards for (which I tend to agree with).  Wouldn't this be even more of an honor than a retired jersey?  Sure the Kings can put a guy like Webber on their Mt. Rushmore just like they retired his jersey.  But does he really deserve to be on a Mt. Rushmore?  I always enjoyed watching the Mourning and Hardaway teams, but a Mt. Rushmore?  Isn't that a lot higher of an honor than a retired jersey?  (Unless I'm mistaken about your retired jersey stance).

Mt. Rushmore has 4 Presidents on it.  Thus if you do it for a team, then you need 4 players on it.  And frankly, aside from the new Hornets, I think every team has been around long enough to have 4 players that stand out for their franchise.  Now sure you can debate the merits of pretty much any player when you compare them to other teams, but I mean even the Celtics has 2 guys that tower above the rest.  I mean can you really compare any of the other guys to Bird and Russ.  Is Hondo or Pierce really any better than say Gervin or Parker the 3rd and 4th guys for the Spurs?

Where the Lakers and Celtics stand out is they could each do a 2nd Mt. Rushmore and you wouldn't feel all that slighted.  Shear depth sets them apart from other franchises, not necessarily the 1st four.

I mean who do you leave off the Sixers Mt. Rushmore? - Dr. J, Wilt, AI, Charles, or Moses.  That doesn't even include the franchise's all time leading scorer Hal Greer or the all time leader in assists and steals (Mo Cheeks) or the all time leading rebounder (Dolph Schayes) and also doesn't include HOFers like Billy Cunningham, Chet Walker, and near HOFers like George McGinnis and Red Kerr. 

Thinking LA and Boston are the only ones that deserve a Mt. Rushmore seems pretty snobby to me.

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2015, 11:59:31 AM »

Offline 317

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 25
Celtics really need more then 4 spots. Cousy, Russel, Hondo and Bird would be my personal picks, but a case can be made for a bunch of others. Cowens, Sam Jones, McHale and Pierce would probably make up my second tier. Sharmen, Tommy, Parrish and Jo Jo might be a 3rd tier. you even have to consider Macauley and DJ, the former for his all NBA play (3 1st 1 2nd plus 6/6 years an all star) and the latter for all NBA defense teams, superb playoff performances and multiple championships. i draw the line at KG since he only won 1 championship.

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2015, 12:04:11 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

Mt. Rushmore has 4 Presidents on it.  Thus if you do it for a team, then you need 4 players on it.  And frankly, aside from the new Hornets, I think every team has been around long enough to have 4 players that stand out for their franchise.  Now sure you can debate the merits of pretty much any player when you compare them to other teams, but I mean even the Celtics has 2 guys that tower above the rest.  I mean can you really compare any of the other guys to Bird and Russ.  Is Hondo or Pierce really any better than say Gervin or Parker the 3rd and 4th guys for the Spurs?

Where the Lakers and Celtics stand out is they could each do a 2nd Mt. Rushmore and you wouldn't feel all that slighted.  Shear depth sets them apart from other franchises, not necessarily the 1st four.

I mean who do you leave off the Sixers Mt. Rushmore? - Dr. J, Wilt, AI, Charles, or Moses.  That doesn't even include the franchise's all time leading scorer Hal Greer or the all time leader in assists and steals (Mo Cheeks) or the all time leading rebounder (Dolph Schayes) and also doesn't include HOFers like Billy Cunningham, Chet Walker, and near HOFers like George McGinnis and Red Kerr. 

Thinking LA and Boston are the only ones that deserve a Mt. Rushmore seems pretty snobby to me.

So you view being on a Mt. Rushmore as less of an honor than having your jersey retired?  You have such a high bar for jersey retirement, I'm surprised you think almost every team could reasonably (well for purpose of this hypothetical) carve 4 players' heads on the side of a mountain.

How would you rearrange this hierarchy?

Mt. Rushmore > statue out front > jersey retired

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2015, 12:18:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
ET

Throw him off MT Rushmore  ;D

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2015, 12:19:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

So you view being on a Mt. Rushmore as less of an honor than having your jersey retired?  You have such a high bar for jersey retirement, I'm surprised you think almost every team could reasonably (well for purpose of this hypothetical) carve 4 players' heads on the side of a mountain.

How would you rearrange this hierarchy?

Mt. Rushmore > statue out front > jersey retired
What about what I said would make you think that I believe a thing with 4 people is of lesser significance than a thing with potentially unlimited members.  A Mt. Rushmore is of course a higher honor than having your number retired.  Mt. Rushmore is like the special room in the HOF, it is just that not all franchises are going to have an equal level of talent to be represented, but Tim Hardaway to the Heat is different than Tim Hardaway to the NBA. 

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2015, 12:49:15 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I try to stay out of these across eras arguments because I have only been watching Celtics basketball for about a decade (Gerald Green was actually the one who hooked me on C's basketball. He was my first favorite player, but thats another story for another thread)

I have read a lot into Celtics history, read a ton of Larry Bird books etc so I think its not too crazy for me to make a mt. rushmore despite never having seen these guys play live.

Mt. Rushmore 1(since 2006)
Pierce
Garnett
Allen
Rondo
they won a championship. I expect by the time his C's career is over I expect Smart to be on the "ive seen live Rushmore" probably replacing Ray because his time with the C's was so short.

Mt. Rushmore 2(all time)
Russell
Bird
Havlicek
Cousy

I want to put Pierce on here, but I feel that if the eras were switched, I would go Cousy no doubt.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2015, 01:34:17 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
What? No Fab Melo supporters? But I would go with

Bird
Russell
Cousy
McHale
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark