Author Topic: Drew Brees getting major flak over "flag" comment.  (Read 8899 times)

Re: Drew Brees getting major flak over "flag" comment.
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2020, 09:24:17 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
Attacking Brees the way that he was attacked is really going to hurt this country if we’re going to try and have any kind of racial healing.

There was nothing wrong with what Brees said, he said he supports the black community and their struggle, he just doesn’t support a protest that involves the American flag.

There’s nothing racist about that statement, insensitive? Maybe.  Bad timing.  Sure but definitely not racist but he’s being treated like one.  People are breaking out the torches and pitchforks over this.

This does NOTHING to help the racial issues in this country, all this breeds is more racism that lies under the surface, which some may agree is worse than outward racism itself
Greg

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2020, 10:27:04 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I believe Drew "Gets it" now...or at least will TRY.

I agree with Charles Barkley's response to him....Sir Charles basically said we should forgive him and give him a chance to back up his words.

I do.
NFL also, shockingly, seemed to have changed its stance. Wonder how msny people will boycott the NFL like they said they would Nike.

Don't believe a word they say considering all the actions they've done towards Black people.

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2020, 11:54:54 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
I agree with Brees.  I also don’t think the workplace is the right place to protest.  Brees could have held his tongue to promote team harmony, but he has as much right to talk about the flag / anthem / country as his teammates do to promote their interests.

If players didn’t have a platform, I might feel differently.  But, every media and social media outlet in the country is open to players.

What do you agree with?

I assume you agree with the statement that he will "never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag of the United States of America".

The anger over his statement is with the civic ignorance he uses in how he has chosen to define "disrespecting the flag".

He also was giving an interview to Yahoo Finance for some reason. Why did you assume he made this comment in the "workplace"?

He didn’t make his comment in the workplace.  Those who kneel or otherwise protest at games are doing so in their workplaces.  I don’t personally like it, particularly when linked to the flag or anthem.

I do support players protesting on their own time, through social media, attending marches and rallies, or whatever else they may do.  And, I think players should be allowed to write messages on their shoes and wear armbands.

The entire flag and anthem business at the beginning of sporting events is a political gesture. Does it really have any more or less place at a sporting event or a workplace than what you are complaining about?

TP

It is obscene the way these corporations appropriate patriotic symbols for their own financial gain. Especially the NFL after the scandal where the military was paying for all the pregame patriotic displays.

ESPN, the NFL et al care about money, not the anthem or flag.

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2020, 01:29:31 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Attacking Brees the way that he was attacked is really going to hurt this country if we’re going to try and have any kind of racial healing.

There was nothing wrong with what Brees said, he said he supports the black community and their struggle, he just doesn’t support a protest that involves the American flag.

There’s nothing racist about that statement, insensitive? Maybe.  Bad timing.  Sure but definitely not racist but he’s being treated like one.  People are breaking out the torches and pitchforks over this.

This does NOTHING to help the racial issues in this country, all this breeds is more racism that lies under the surface, which some may agree is worse than outward racism itself

Burgundy and Gold Faithful -

While there was nothing racist about Drew's statement he WAS insensitive and tone-deaf with the Flag comment. He's since apologized and I'm personally willing to forgive him and let his work going forward speak for itself.

Colin Kapernick started kneeling in 2016 to protest police brutality and treatment of Blacks. He was widely ridiculed BUT loved by most Blacks, including myself.

"I" am a U.S. Navy Ret Vet, btw - and I respect what Colin did.

In a BETTER WORLD, Colin would NOT need to resort to such measure to BRING ATTENTION to other's plight. But we all know this is FAR FROM a perfect world.

Fast forward to NOW? Colin is being revered a LOT differently than 2016. We NOW have Police Officers...Clergy...other important entities...ALL KNEELING.

All that is missing is seeing Colin grace the NFL field once again and I'm praying to that end.

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2020, 02:33:18 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

While there was nothing racist about Drew's statement he WAS insensitive and tone-deaf with the Flag comment. He's since apologized and I'm personally willing to forgive him and let his work going forward speak for itself.

Colin Kapernick started kneeling in 2016 to protest police brutality and treatment of Blacks. He was widely ridiculed BUT loved by most Blacks, including myself.

In a BETTER WORLD, Colin would NOT need to resort to such measure to BRING ATTENTION to other's plight. But we all know this is FAR FROM a perfect world.

Fast forward to NOW? Colin is being revered a LOT differently than 2016. We NOW have Police Officers...Clergy...other important entities...ALL KNEELING.

All that is missing is seeing Colin grace the NFL field once again and I'm praying to that end.

Hey man, I think you missed my point though.

I’m not saying I don’t understand the purpose of Kaps protest and how it’s not meant to disrespect the flag or military.  I agree with most of what you said and also thank you for your service.  Regardless of whether it was right or wrong or racist or not, it was an insensitive time to bring a debate like that up.

My point though was this.  Me and you have had plenty of back and forth on here and on some especially touchy subjects regarding race.  We haven’t seen eye to eye all the time but we’ve had mature rational discussions and you’ve treated me with nothing but respect in the process, and I would hope you feel the same way about me.  This is the way we and the rest of the country as a whole needs to handle these discussions regardless of how insensitive it may come across.  Just because someone disagrees does not make them the enemy, that goes for BOTH sides of any debate.

For the most part, the celebrities and other athletes that responded to Brees comments did so in a respectable yet frustrated manner, which is perfectly fine.  The outrage online and on social media to him has been awful though.  What he said wa insensitive given the current circumstances but is in no way racist yet he’s been treated almost like a card carrying member of the KKK.  I know that’s a bit much but you know what I mean.

The point is, as long as we as a society keep with this torches and pitchforks mentality when someone does something the least bit socially unacceptable, all it’s going to do is breed more racism and hate under the surface that can come out in violent outbursts.
Greg

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2020, 02:43:54 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Hey man, I think you missed my point though.

I’m not saying I don’t understand the purpose of Kaps protest and how it’s not meant to disrespect the flag or military.  I agree with most of what you said and also thank you for your service.  Regardless of whether it was right or wrong or racist or not, it was an insensitive time to bring a debate like that up.

My point though was this.  Me and you have had plenty of back and forth on here and on some especially touchy subjects regarding race.  We haven’t seen eye to eye all the time but we’ve had mature rational discussions and you’ve treated me with nothing but respect in the process, and I would hope you feel the same way about me.  This is the way we and the rest of the country as a whole needs to handle these discussions regardless of how insensitive it may come across.  Just because someone disagrees does not make them the enemy, that goes for BOTH sides of any debate.

For the most part, the celebrities and other athletes that responded to Brees comments did so in a respectable yet frustrated manner, which is perfectly fine.  The outrage online and on social media to him has been awful though.  What he said wa insensitive given the current circumstances but is in no way racist yet he’s been treated almost like a card carrying member of the KKK.  I know that’s a bit much but you know what I mean.

The point is, as long as we as a society keep with this torches and pitchforks mentality when someone does something the least bit socially acceptable, all it’s going to do is breed more racism and hate under the surface that can come out in violent outbursts.

Charles Barkley spoke somewhat about what you are saying - and I agree with both of you.

Ellen Degeneres was recently torn apart because - IIRC correctly - she mentioned "People of Color" instead of "Blacks or African Americans" in a statement of support for Mr. Floyd. The lady was rather tearful about it, too - and meant no harm.

I felt bad for her.

Thus is where we are at in society, now....for TOO LONG voices have NOT been heard and now just about EVERYONE is walking on egg shells.

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2020, 03:19:57 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'd prefer the games themselves to be apolitical events.  When I attend a sporting event, or watch on tv, I'm not interested in watching a protest.  It's not what I am paying money for.  Of course, sports leagues have a right to limit or allow such protests as they see fit.  I just won't watch if they do allow protests before, during, or after games.

As for Brees' initial comments about disrespecting the flag, I think the flag and the national anthem represent far more than 'the military' so I didn't really agree with what he had to say at all.  I also understand the point that was being made by Kapernick.  I agree with his point.  And while he's free to make his point in the way he best sees fit, I'm also not trying to pay him or any other athlete to 'listen' to whatever social commentary they wish to make.  By injecting their social stances into the gameday experience in such a manner, though, that's essentially what they are attempting to force me into.

Athletes are afforded an outsized platform to express themselves despite their opinions being no more valuable than yours or mine.  They also have so many avenues they can use to express their opinions.  Just leave the games alone, please.

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2020, 03:52:37 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
Just want to point out perhaps an unpopular but factual reality:  Not everyone feels the same way about flags and anthems and Pledges as everyone else.  And that is not a right or a wrong. 

As someone who is pretty unmoved by the flag or anthem or Pledge of Allegiance, I have to respect that others are.  I wonder if it's equally important for those who have high regard for those symbols of patriotism to respect that others aren't as moved by these symbols? Is that OK too? Or is that just wrong?  I'm not even saying that Colin Kaepernick has less feeling for flag or anthem than others may (I have no idea), but I do leave open the possibility that he thinks differently than others do about these symbols and maybe the words in anthems and Pledges don't ring as true to him as they do to others.  And if that's the case, why would he not use the opportunity to peacefully express his dissonance rather than mindlessly chirp words that feel false to him or to symbolically put his hand to heart when it feels wrong to him?  He shouldn't kneel or protest because it's the workplace?  Not sure I get that as a viable reason for keeping your views to yourself when the issue of concern is life and death. And his protest could not possibly have been more peaceful.

I was brought by a father who joined the military at 17 -- it was in 1940, prior to our official involvement in the war. He forewent college (never did go) because of his understanding of who Adolf Hitler was.  He spent 5 years patrolling the Pacific Ocean until VJ Day when his military career effectively ended.  He survived Kamikaze attacks and significant losses of friends aboard ship.   He was an extremely patriotic man -- loved the USA.  However, he was not a man invested in symbolism.  We never had flags, we rarely sung patriotic songs and we certainly never recited Pledges to our country (btw, I do think pledging is wrong -- but that's another issue).  I therefore grew up with high regard for constitution, country and community -- but without much interest or attention to symbols of patriotism.    And that's where I am today.

Cheers to Colin K who is getting some measure of vindication this week.  Goodell doesn't have the courage to mention him by name, but at least acknowledges the NFL's error.  Trump never will do so because he is a coward and a grossly flawed leader. They remain SOBs to him.  But good for Colin.  More kneeling.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 05:27:25 PM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2020, 01:31:49 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
Just want to point out perhaps an unpopular but factual reality:  Not everyone feels the same way about flags and anthems and Pledges as everyone else.  And that is not a right or a wrong. 

As someone who is pretty unmoved by the flag or anthem or Pledge of Allegiance, I have to respect that others are.

I was always unaware of why we had to do the Pledge of Allegiance everyday back when I was in elementary school. Then I guess when I grew older into my young adult days, I may have realized that the pledge sounds like a religious thing because of that "Under God..." line.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)