Author Topic: I feel like the storm is over  (Read 7269 times)

Re: I feel like the storm is over
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 10:17:57 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
In a turbulent turn of events, these past weeks, or even last 3 months, I feel like Celtics have come out of the storm.
There were many questions, egos, hungry players, and too few minutes and answers at the beginning of the year.
But after the conflict phase relationships enter the acceptance phase and I'd say we are there now.

Kyrie, still learning the ropes of being a leader but possessing the 1-in-a-billion-talent was naturally frustrated after our losses, like all players were.
He came out a bit reckless criticizing young players publicly, they certainly didn't like it, but judging by the past 4 games since the friction came out, they have accepted it. They, like all of our veteran players, knew before, now understand that Kyrie is a to lead them toward success. The best thing they can do themselves is to support him and give their best at the stuff they can control - Give effort and fall into a line. Voluntary cooperation.

Al said about Kyrie: “Having that kind of player, and that kind of luxury, where we can just let him kind of take over, is good.”
I think that sums things up. Fight as a unit, make the job for Kyrie easier, and he will be killing it like we know he is capable of killing teams.
31&11 on 60% since that spat. The spat that resolved the pecking order - once and for all. I hope.

Its not over

Lets see how this team deals with a loss or 2 in a row

This is definitely one of those things we won't know until after it happens.  Like I thought the storm was over when the C's won 8 in a row.  But they've gone on to have two separate 3-game losing streaks since, along with some added drama.

That's what killing me about this year, the C's have all this talent, this great coaching, but they've had three 3-game losing streaks, and two more 2-game losing streaks.  That's five multi-game losing streaks.  It's an 82-game season, losses happen, even a great team that hits 60 wins will still have 22 losses.  But look at the teams the C's are chasing:

Milwaukee hasn't lost 2 games in a row all season
Toronto has had only one 3-game losing streak, plus two 2-game losing streaks
Indiana has had zero 3-game losing streaks, four 2-game streaks
Philly has had zero 3-game losing streaks, three 2-game streaks
Denver has had one 3-game streak (it was actually 4-games), and three 2-game streaks.
GS has had one 3-game streak (also actually 4-games), and two 2-game streaks

Multiple losses in a row should be rare, yet here we are.  Though I hope to look back at the end of the season and say that was the turning point.  No more losing streaks for the rest of the year!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 10:32:35 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2019, 10:25:11 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I'm not convinced yet, they just lapsed pretty bad last night against the Heat at home to the point where they had to put the starting five back in the fourth quarter to save the game. This is a game where we went into the fourth quarter up by 20. Kyrie had to save us once again.

As far as accepting roles, maybe. Kyrie is def trying to be more of a playmaker the last few games. The rest of the guys, I'm not sure.

Not there yet.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 10:34:47 AM by CF033 »

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2019, 10:50:48 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
In a turbulent turn of events, these past weeks, or even last 3 months, I feel like Celtics have come out of the storm.
There were many questions, egos, hungry players, and too few minutes and answers at the beginning of the year.
But after the conflict phase relationships enter the acceptance phase and I'd say we are there now.

Kyrie, still learning the ropes of being a leader but possessing the 1-in-a-billion-talent was naturally frustrated after our losses, like all players were.
He came out a bit reckless criticizing young players publicly, they certainly didn't like it, but judging by the past 4 games since the friction came out, they have accepted it. They, like all of our veteran players, knew before, now understand that Kyrie is a to lead them toward success. The best thing they can do themselves is to support him and give their best at the stuff they can control - Give effort and fall into a line. Voluntary cooperation.

Al said about Kyrie: “Having that kind of player, and that kind of luxury, where we can just let him kind of take over, is good.”
I think that sums things up. Fight as a unit, make the job for Kyrie easier, and he will be killing it like we know he is capable of killing teams.
31&11 on 60% since that spat. The spat that resolved the pecking order - once and for all. I hope.

Its not over

Lets see how this team deals with a loss or 2 in a row

This is definitely one of those things we won't know until after it happens.  Like I thought the storm was over when the C's won 8 in a row.  But they've gone on to have two separate 3-game losing streaks since, along with some added drama.

That's what killing me about this year, the C's have all this talent, this great coaching, but they've had three 3-game losing streaks, and two more 2-game losing streaks.  That's five multi-game losing streaks.  It's an 82-game season, losses happen, even a great team that hits 60 wins will still have 22 losses.  But look at the teams the C's are chasing:

Milwaukee hasn't lost 2 games in a row all season
Toronto has had only one 3-game losing streak, plus two 2-game losing streaks
Indiana has had zero 3-game losing streaks, four 2-game streaks
Philly has had zero 3-game losing streaks, three 2-game streaks
Denver has had one 3-game streak (it was actually 4-games), and three 2-game streaks.
GS has had one 3-game streak (also actually 4-games), and two 2-game streaks

Multiple losses in a row should be rare, yet here we are.  Though I hope to look back at the end of the season and say that was the turning point.  No more losing streaks for the rest of the year!

The best teams in the past dont sweat after some losses or even wins

Just focus again on the next game

Celts problem earlier this season was riding on their emotions after winning a few or losing a few.   

Also immature friction in the locker room about who is what.  Seems like Irving was the fire starter and then you got resistance from the young guys

After the Magic game incident the team looks like has grown up a little.  Team is playing well... team D and passing is very good

Plus Kyrie hit emergency button when need offensive boost

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2019, 11:10:38 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Baynes needs to start, especially against teams with big talented centers.

Bring Morris off the bench.

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2019, 11:24:09 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I think Hayward will be right by April...not completely back but good enough to be in the rotation.

I like Kyries demeanor the last 5 games. He looks focused and is pacing himself. He's not trying to do it all and he's keeping it simple. Whatever Bron said to him helped get his approach reading in the right direction.

Team just needs to keep their head down and continue grinding. The Warriors game will tell us a lot about where they are.

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2019, 11:25:05 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I don't think the storm will be over until the Celts can find a way to score inside the paint on a regular basis.

The pattern is very clear, if the Celts shoot well from 3-pt land, they usually win.

If the Celts struggle shooting 3s, they usually lose.

Celts need some diversity on offense.
If the Celts get a big man like Vucevic, it will make life easier for Kyrie.
Kyrie does not have to score a lot all the time.

Inside-outside basketball is the key.
The Heat were pretty good with Adebayo.
Celts had no answer for Adebayo.
But the Heat don't have a player like Kyrie.
That was the difference in that game.

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2019, 11:38:14 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Inconsistency mainly on that second unit has been a problem since Smart and Morris became starters.

Jaylen and Terry (Hayward still getting a pass that ends shortly) have been the leaders in the inconsistency parade. Jaylen still shows flashes of the player that he will not become. Jaylen has poor natural instincts for the game of basketball. He's a wonderful athlete, but not a natural basketball player. He never was, coming out of college. He'll tease us to death. IMO Brown will need a full 5 years to possibly be what some see him as. A top 20 player in the NBA someday? I don't see, not yet. Too many other young players with fewer years and less experience are passing him by. He's a great kid and I still root for him.

Rozier thinks of Scary Terry first, last and always. The Celtics are the providers of the stage where "Scary Terry" sells his future brand. The Celtics seem determined to keep him and then lose him for nothing at the end of the year. Insurance for not signing Kyrie? Seriously?       

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2019, 11:56:43 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Call it what you want but if you think this team is “finally what we expected” you’d be way off.   The premise of us being great was built around us having multiple stars. We have one.  Kyrie is carrying us.  We only go as far as our single star takes us.  Typically teams with a single star are up and down. 

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2019, 12:27:47 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I don't think the storm will be over until the Celts can find a way to score inside the paint on a regular basis.

The pattern is very clear, if the Celts shoot well from 3-pt land, they usually win.

If the Celts struggle shooting 3s, they usually lose.

Celts need some diversity on offense.
If the Celts get a big man like Vucevic, it will make life easier for Kyrie.
Kyrie does not have to score a lot all the time.

Inside-outside basketball is the key.
The Heat were pretty good with Adebayo.
Celts had no answer for Adebayo.
But the Heat don't have a player like Kyrie.
That was the difference in that game.

Kyrie has been scoring inside the paint on a regular basis for a while now. For example last night he had three straight layups down the stretch to put the Heat away

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2019, 12:29:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Call it what you want but if you think this team is “finally what we expected” you’d be way off.   The premise of us being great was built around us having multiple stars. We have one.  Kyrie is carrying us.  We only go as far as our single star takes us.  Typically teams with a single star are up and down.

Al Horford still has a star level impact, for my money.  He's vitally important to what the Celtics do on both sides of the court.

I'd rather have Al Horford than Andre Drummond, just for example.

Actually, I'm not sure there's a big man in the East other than Joel Embiid that I'd rather than Al Horford.

I expect Horford's minutes and scoring will go up in the playoffs again, as well.

Hayward and Brown are clearly a good piece away from being the star type players we hoped they could / would be.

Tatum would probably be considered a star if he took more shots.  So far he hasn't figured out how to make a consistent impact while functioning as the second or third offensive option most of the time.

I think the storm may have passed, in terms of the team being really up and down because they are figuring out what the identity of the team is.

Kyrie has asserted himself as the unquestioned superstar on the team that has no other players nearing that level. 

My question -- is it already too late?

It's hard to believe that the teams ahead of the Celts in the standings are going to fall off in their pace the rest of the way.  The East is so weak toward the bottom that the top teams are going to continue to pad their records.

If the Celts end up with the 5th seed, can they win a playoff series without home court advantage? 

I think if their opponent is Philadelphia, as it would be if the season ended today, the Celts would be in trouble.

They match up well with Philadelphia, but the Celts are a much worse team on the road and Philly has a much better crunch time lineup this year than last.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2019, 12:42:41 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
You're not going to know the answer until April/May. 

Pretty futile to try and figure it out based on regular season play.  This team is going to make its bones (or not) come playoff time.  It's always been about the postseason with this construction.  We've seen the focus in the regular season has been hit or miss.  It's a different brand of basketball come playoffs and I think is nearly impossible to discern what kind of team we have here until they face meaningful playoff basketball.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2019, 12:54:46 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Al Horford still has a star level impact, for my money.  He's vitally important to what the Celtics do on both sides of the court.

I'd rather have Al Horford than Andre Drummond, just for example.

Actually, I'm not sure there's a big man in the East other than Joel Embiid that I'd rather than Al Horford.

I expect Horford's minutes and scoring will go up in the playoffs again, as well.

Hayward and Brown are clearly a good piece away from being the star type players we hoped they could / would be.

Tatum would probably be considered a star if he took more shots.  So far he hasn't figured out how to make a consistent impact while functioning as the second or third offensive option most of the time.

I think the storm may have passed, in terms of the team being really up and down because they are figuring out what the identity of the team is.

Kyrie has asserted himself as the unquestioned superstar on the team that has no other players nearing that level. 

My question -- is it already too late?

It's hard to believe that the teams ahead of the Celts in the standings are going to fall off in their pace the rest of the way.  The East is so weak toward the bottom that the top teams are going to continue to pad their records.

If the Celts end up with the 5th seed, can they win a playoff series without home court advantage? 

I think if their opponent is Philadelphia, as it would be if the season ended today, the Celts would be in trouble.

They match up well with Philadelphia, but the Celts are a much worse team on the road and Philly has a much better crunch time lineup this year than last.

I see why you could say that, but I have to say that of all the teams above us right now Philly is the one I fear least - and it's not close. Simmons is too easy for us to scheme for, and he seems to fade in crunch time of big games. Embiid, too, has given them nothing against us in the clutch (he may be strong all game, but by the end he's either gassed or feeling the pressure; Al just owns him). Sure there's Jimmy Butler, but did you see Tatum erase him last time the teams played? Tatum seems ideal for guarding Butler - quick enough to stay in front and long enough to bother the fadeaway. There's just nobody on Philly who scares me, or who can defend Kyrie.

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2019, 01:08:22 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I have to say that of all the teams above us right now Philly is the one I fear least - and it's not close. Simmons is too easy for us to scheme for, and he seems to fade in crunch time of big games. Embiid, too, has given them nothing against us in the clutch (he may be strong all game, but by the end he's either gassed or feeling the pressure; Al just owns him). Sure there's Jimmy Butler, but did you see Tatum erase him last time the teams played? Tatum seems ideal for guarding Butler - quick enough to stay in front and long enough to bother the fadeaway. There's just nobody on Philly who scares me, or who can defend Kyrie.

I think back to the playoff series last year.

The Celts won in 5, but Games 2, 3, and 5 were really close.

So if the Sixers started the series at home, that's probably a 1-1 split heading into Boston, and if the Sixers managed to win one on the road, they'd have Game 5 at home to go up 3-2.

Basically, I look at it like the Sixers are one year more experienced, and it's a lot easier to go on the road for Games 3 and 4 than for Games 1 and 2 (in my opinion).  Plus the Sixers have an extra isolation scoring option in crunch time that they didn't have last year.

Of course, the Celts will (hopefully) have Kyrie, so maybe that makes all the difference.

Still, I think it's far from guaranteed that they'd beat Philly on the road, which means that if the standings hold, the Celts have a decent chance of having their season end in the 1st round.

That would be a disaster.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2019, 01:28:45 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I have to say that of all the teams above us right now Philly is the one I fear least - and it's not close. Simmons is too easy for us to scheme for, and he seems to fade in crunch time of big games. Embiid, too, has given them nothing against us in the clutch (he may be strong all game, but by the end he's either gassed or feeling the pressure; Al just owns him). Sure there's Jimmy Butler, but did you see Tatum erase him last time the teams played? Tatum seems ideal for guarding Butler - quick enough to stay in front and long enough to bother the fadeaway. There's just nobody on Philly who scares me, or who can defend Kyrie.

I think back to the playoff series last year.

The Celts won in 5, but Games 2, 3, and 5 were really close.

So if the Sixers started the series at home, that's probably a 1-1 split heading into Boston, and if the Sixers managed to win one on the road, they'd have Game 5 at home to go up 3-2.

Basically, I look at it like the Sixers are one year more experienced, and it's a lot easier to go on the road for Games 3 and 4 than for Games 1 and 2 (in my opinion).  Plus the Sixers have an extra isolation scoring option in crunch time that they didn't have last year.

Of course, the Celts will (hopefully) have Kyrie, so maybe that makes all the difference.

Still, I think it's far from guaranteed that they'd beat Philly on the road, which means that if the standings hold, the Celts have a decent chance of having their season end in the 1st round.

That would be a disaster.

I agree, I think everyone is overrating us against Philly because of what happened in the playoffs last year. I don't think it's going to be easy if they have homecourt advantage over us.

Just look at the Christmas game when they were on our court. It took major heroics from Kyrie in OT to pull that game out.

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2019, 01:41:06 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Last night was a struggle at home vs a .500 team.

Forecast remains very cloudy.