Author Topic: strange call in WNBA game  (Read 2512 times)

strange call in WNBA game
« on: July 18, 2017, 12:34:23 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I was just watching a WNBA game where someone shot a kind of runner; she got the shot off well and truly before contact, but due to the nature of a runner after she let the shot off, she followed through and took out the big who'd established a perfect change position.. Charge was called, but I felt something seemed off with the call. Any thoughts?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Re: strange call in WNBA game
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 12:36:29 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
I was just watching a WNBA game where someone shot a kind of runner; she got the shot off well and truly before contact, but due to the nature of a runner after she let the shot off, she followed through and took out the big who'd established a perfect change position.. Charge was called, but I felt something seemed off with the call. Any thoughts?

Haven't seen that play, but I've seen similar in NBA games, when a guy is driving into the lane and kicks the ball out to a perimeter player, but the passer's momentum carries him into a defender who already has position, and a charge is called.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I would say it is a strange call to watch a WNBA game

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 12:44:16 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The shot's not over until the player returns to the ground. That's why you can foul a shooter or commit a charge well after the release.

It can look strange but not as bizarre as the way college used to do it where you could commit an offensive foul after the release and still have the shot count.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 12:50:08 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 12:46:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
It has been called exactly like this in the NBA for like... ever?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."