Author Topic: Rumour: Barnes may sign with Celtics  (Read 38085 times)

Re: Rumour: Barnes may sign with Celtics
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2012, 09:35:31 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Completely unnecessary, in fact quite likely to prove a bad idea.

Behind solid rotation depth, better to have solid young guys with upside to send to Maine to develop if necessary and play bench minutes in stretches where starters rest or are injured. 

I'd rather build something to root for on the side than have unnecessary and controvertial vets with big egos and marginal talents trying to hang on to contenders-only to validate their oversized sense of their own value and importance.

Give me Joseph and Christmas over Barnes and his like.

EDIT:  Both players look like the Kevin Gamble-types, guys that develop a bit to have very good overall games and become solid rotation guys for short money off the bench and fit in perfectly.  That is a thing to give up to sign anyone, and Barnes on the third string isn't a greater asset than Joseph and Christmas.
Tp
Third string 5 10 minutes give those minutes to Joseph and develope him for future or trade

« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2012, 09:57:47 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Give him a camp invite without a guaranteed contract. If it's not good enough for him then ??? Who cares? If he shows up and plays well enough to make the team ???

Okay then, he takes a job because he is the better player. If this guy has anything left, he can go out and show it by earning a roster spot somewhere just like anyone else. As long as he is a good teammate I could care less about his reputation. I truly love what I have seen of Dionte Christmas and Kris Joseph so far, but this is the reality of the NBA.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2012, 10:46:02 PM »

Offline raynman

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
I thought it was HARRISON Barnes! But Matt? No way! I'd rather keep Joseph..

« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2012, 11:36:45 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Quality role player. He'd be another guy deserving of minutes stuck in a number crunch if he comes here. All these players would be a little bit excessive for just insurance or depth. If this happens, I'll be convinced Danny is plotting on something this trade deadline.

Finally an enforcer
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2012, 11:40:13 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
we have played the last four years without an enforcer. It is absolutely what we need. An enforcer off the bench

« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2012, 12:06:32 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I don't get how people keep saying we have too many of a certain position.

I think we have enough centers, but I would love for us to get as many quality players of any position as we can!

The ONE huge reason there hasn't been a championship for this team since 08 has been injuries to KEY players... now why would we not try and get as many ACTUAL PROVEN players to be "insurance" as we can? If KG goes down (God forbid), yeah we probably have no chance at a chip BUT Collins is a proven player that could step in and perform as the starter right away (I mean, Horford went down EARLY and they were still winning with Collins and had a better record than we did)! After Collins, we have Wilcox... not great but a solid backup! RR goes down (GF) we have Dools, Jet, and AB. If AB goes down... er SINCE AB is down, we have... JET, LEE, and Dools (PP if need be). If Bass goes down we have... KG, Wilcox, Green, and Sully. If PP goes down (again, GF), Jeff can step in (maybe Lee but YIKES), but who after him? Barnes could be that guy...
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2012, 01:46:57 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I agree with this.  Based on what I saw of him last year, especially in the playoffs, Barnes is done.  Plus he isn't going to be getting any sig minutes unless something bad happens to PP and Green.  I am just not a fan of his game either way.

Gimme 2008 Barnes, and I don't think you could ask for a better guy to sop up minutes behind pierce.

Now he's gonna take minutes from Green at the 3 (Green's best position), and he'll take minutes from Sully at the 4 so Green can get his there, which is the worst place Green could conceivably play.

Pass.

« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2012, 04:56:18 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Gimme 2008 Barnes, and I don't think you could ask for a better guy to sop up minutes behind pierce.

Now he's gonna take minutes from Green at the 3 (Green's best position), and he'll take minutes from Sully at the 4 so Green can get his there, which is the worst place Green could conceivably play.

Pass.

I'm not sure that Doc would force feed Barnes minutes at the expense of Green.  Rather, I would see Barnes (or any veteran wing we brought in) as essentially occupying the 12th to 15th position on the roster.  He'd play the role of Marquis or Sasha, essentially a "break glass in case of emergency" type of deal.

If Pierce or Green goes down for a couple of weeks, we don't really have a veteran third-string SF to fill in right now.  We'd be asking a rookie to step in.  If Danny decides that he wants more of a sure thing, I respect that.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2012, 07:06:29 AM »

fitzhickey

Kg wouldn't be happy

« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2012, 08:20:04 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 162
  • Green 18!
I'd rather have Quis back. Barnes p---ed me off in the ECF in 2010. He tried constantly to get under KG's skin.

Exactly. I don't want this scrub on our team.

« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2012, 08:57:38 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I'd rather have Quis back. Barnes p---ed me off in the ECF in 2010. He tried constantly to get under KG's skin.

Exactly. I don't want this scrub on our team.

I think thats exactly why we need him on the team.  Say what you want about them, but having a front court of Sheed, Perk, and KG brough a swagger to this team.  It was almost like having the "Bash Brothers" in mighty ducks.

This team could use a little bit of the nastiness again
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2012, 09:14:44 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Didn't Pietrus head butt KG the year before he came?

Not liking a player for his personality, getting into it with one of our players, punching one of our players in the face, throwing one of our players into a coach etc is not a reason to not pick him up.

Also Barnes would not take minutes away from anyone. He'd be an insurance policy. Do you think if we signed Pietrus he'd take minutes away from Green? Is dooling taking minutes away from anyone?

If we are going to add 12-15th guy might as well get the best one out there instead of some crappy person cause your scared he will take minutes away from green or pierce or whoever

« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2012, 09:29:35 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I have no problem cheering for a guy like Barnes.  They are the type of guys you hate to play against, but love to have on your own team.

My concerns are that 1. I never felt he was as good as other people suggested and 2. He is older now, and just may not have a whole lot left to give.

I also still question whether he would actually come to Boston.  Regardless of the battle for minutes and lack of money, I just always took him for someone who preferred the warm weather teams.

But, if he can still play, he does give a veteran presence and toughness, that is very nice to have deep on the bench.  He is not someone I would feel that comfortable relying on, but as a third stringer, it is hard to do much better.

« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2012, 09:39:06 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I would rather hav Kris Joseph than today's Matt Barnes.   

Joseph is younger, has better size, also a two way player and we already have depth on th 3 spot with Jeff Green. Joseph has shown good stuff and we could have him in the system and he will be ready and called up.

I don't mind Barnes at all, but if they will have to cut Joseph to get him, no thanks.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2012, 09:46:27 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I would rather hav Kris Joseph than today's Matt Barnes.   

Joseph is younger, has better size, also a two way player and we already have depth on th 3 spot with Jeff Green. Joseph has shown good stuff and we could have him in the system and he will be ready and called up.

I don't mind Barnes at all, but if they will have to cut Joseph to get him, no thanks.

I don't think Joseph would be cut.  It would more likely be Christmas, unless he killed it in training camp.