Poll

How many wins for the Celtics by the end of this regular season?

63-64
2 (3.2%)
61-62
2 (3.2%)
59-60
4 (6.3%)
57-58
3 (4.8%)
55-56
30 (47.6%)
53-54
11 (17.5%)
51-52
4 (6.3%)
49-50
4 (6.3%)
Less Than 49
3 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Author Topic: Poll: How Many Wins Do You Predict The Celtics Finish The Season With?  (Read 6193 times)

Re: Poll: How Many Wins Do You Predict The Celtics Finish The Season With?
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2018, 10:00:40 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I really wish we had beat the cavs. This board is going to be tough over the all-star break
yeah, overreaction city
what is the overreaction exactly?  The Celtics have been a mid-tier level playoff team for a couple of months now.  They are 18-14 since starting the year 22-4.  The recent stuff is a much larger sample and probably more indicative of the actual ability of the team.  The Cleveland hype is a bit much, but the Cavs clearly got better with the trade and they've always had the best player in the world.  Winning a series against the Cavs was always an uphill battle because James is still that good.

TP.  The East always went through CLE and LeBron.  Most weren't willing to acknowledge that, nor that the trades made CLE better.  And now after one game, it's all the way doom and gloom.  The Celts can still make the Finals, but it was always going to be an uphill battle.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:32:34 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2018, 11:19:02 AM »

Offline CelticsQuestFor18

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
56-26, finish the year on a 16-8 clip.

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2018, 11:34:11 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
what is the overreaction exactly?  The Celtics have been a mid-tier level playoff team for a couple of months now.  They are 18-14 since starting the year 22-4.  The recent stuff is a much larger sample and probably more indicative of the actual ability of the team.  The Cleveland hype is a bit much, but the Cavs clearly got better with the trade and they've always had the best player in the world.  Winning a series against the Cavs was always an uphill battle because James is still that good.

The Cavs have been a trash tier team for several months now.  The recent stuff is a much larger sample and probably much more indicative of the actual ability of the team.

And now the addition of Jordan Clarkson, Larry Nance, George Hill, and Rodney Hood --- none of whom has helped their previous teams win games this season -- is enough to have you saying the East once again belongs to the Cavs?

Talk about overreactions.

Look, if you want to say the middle of the season doesn't matter that much and at the end of the day we should focus on the talent at the top of the roster, that's fine.

Just be consistent about it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2018, 11:47:25 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
The Celtics were on pace for 60 but they have slowed down considerably.  Looks like the growing pains are kicking in as Tatum has hit the rookie wall.  Going to have to find a way to integrate Monroe while hiding his weakness on defense.  Gotta wait for Smart to come back healthy.  We don't know if Hayward will return before the year ends. 

And our offense and defense were both struggling against the Cavs.  Particularly our defense.  I'd say that we have our work cut out for us.

With that said I'm going to say 55 wins again.  15-9 down the stretch is definitely achievable.  We are an above average NBA team but still have consistency issues.  We will fall behind 10+ points in same games but we are capable of coming back.  It's just not something I would want to count on.

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2018, 11:51:42 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

The Cavs have been a trash tier team for several months now.  The recent stuff is a much larger sample and probably much more indicative of the actual ability of the team.

And now the addition of Jordan Clarkson, Larry Nance, George Hill, and Rodney Hood --- none of whom has helped their previous teams win games this season -- is enough to have you saying the East once again belongs to the Cavs?

Look, if you want to say the middle of the season doesn't matter that much and at the end of the day we should focus on the talent at the top of the roster, that's fine.

Thank you phosita. This is beautifully said and is what is so maddening about Some of this stuff. The blind "negative view of celtics" "super optimistic view about cavs/rival" across every topic becomes so tired and infuriating (on a Celtics fan board no less)  I am giving you at least 5 tps for this post today.

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 11:56:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

the Cavs are a different team.  If they made no moves and still had the same team, then absolutely their last two months would be indicative of their team.  But the Cavs didn't sit pat, they made 2 moves (I'm not counting the Wade trade as that really was unnecessary), and those 2 moves completely remade their roster.  Before those guys ever set foot on the floor, I said it made the Cavs the clear favorites in the East, because the 4 new players provided exactly what the Cavs needed to put around James.  Much better 2-way players, that play much better off the ball, are great shooters, and better defenders.  They removed the cancer that was IT from the locker-room, that alone was a big positive as you can see what James can do when he is happier and more engaged.  Cleveland is now the favorite to come out of the East, not because they destroyed Boston, but because they have the best player in the world on their team and now have a team that better suits his skill set. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2018, 12:26:57 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
59 wins, 19-5 stretch to finish the season.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2018, 09:33:28 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I really wish we had beat the cavs. This board is going to be tough over the all-star break
yeah, overreaction city
The overreaction is the dude above me saying we are all of a sudden gonna finish the season 11-13.

Or the thread saying this team doesnt give effort and that we miss the toughness of Kelly Olynyk. That would be the overreaction city.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2018, 09:35:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
yeah, overreaction city
The overreaction is the dude above me saying we are all of a sudden gonna finish the season 11-13.

Or the thread saying this team doesnt give effort and that we miss the toughness of Kelly Olynyk. That would be the overreaction city.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2018, 10:03:10 PM »

Offline MaxAMillion

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 16
52 wins

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2018, 10:08:16 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
yeah, overreaction city

Thank you both for being reasonable people!

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2018, 10:32:37 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

the Cavs are a different team.  If they made no moves and still had the same team, then absolutely their last two months would be indicative of their team.  But the Cavs didn't sit pat, they made 2 moves (I'm not counting the Wade trade as that really was unnecessary), and those 2 moves completely remade their roster.  Before those guys ever set foot on the floor, I said it made the Cavs the clear favorites in the East, because the 4 new players provided exactly what the Cavs needed to put around James.  Much better 2-way players, that play much better off the ball, are great shooters, and better defenders.  They removed the cancer that was IT from the locker-room, that alone was a big positive as you can see what James can do when he is happier and more engaged.  Cleveland is now the favorite to come out of the East, not because they destroyed Boston, but because they have the best player in the world on their team and now have a team that better suits his skill set.
Well we're missing Hayward, Smart, are still integrating Monroe to the system and are trying to get Brad to be less autistic about small ball, not to mention trying to fix Horford and Tatum's heads. They're certainly good, but we're still waiting for our reinforcements and we've been a very good team over the course of the season, even with a slump.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2018, 10:57:00 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Didn't we already do this...like twice?

Way back I went with 53 as Hayward was the upgrade....then I looked like nuttin' when they couldn't lose....now it looks about right which sucks cause their not playing well.

The ship shall be righted for the playoffs. Bone crushing D. Threes flyin' through de air.

I wanted Cav's to crash so bad.

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2018, 11:00:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
yeah, overreaction city

the C's are 6-8 in their last 14 games.  I don't see it as a 1 game overreaction to think they might just continue at the pace they were on before that game and to finish the season below .500.  I don't believe they will but I can certainly see someone believing they will finish like their last 14 games
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2018, 11:43:22 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
yeah, overreaction city

the C's are 6-8 in their last 14 games.  I don't see it as a 1 game overreaction to think they might just continue at the pace they were on before that game and to finish the season below .500.  I don't believe they will but I can certainly see someone believing they will finish like their last 14 games
If you don't believe it's that bad, then I think it's pretty safe to call it an overreaction.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.