Poll

Which post was the best post for 2008-09

dark lord's "Why the Obama Inaugeration Was Important to Him"
oldmanspeaks' "Advice to Jsaad"
Neurotic Guy's "Gay Marriage Opinion"
Celtic's "Will Solomon isn't Home"
Roy Hobbs' "Salary Cap Situation and FAQs: 2009 Edition"

Author Topic: Vote for Celticsblog 2008-09 Post of the Year  (Read 43315 times)

Re: Vote for Celticsblog 2008-09 Post of the Year
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 07:28:19 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I'd just like to state that I am honored to be nominated.  I voted for myself so as to avoid the embarrassment of a shutout -- but I note with gratitude that one other CBlogger has given me a vote!

I was moved, amused and informed by the other nominees and feel one of them deserves the win.  I expect to finish far behind -- and I am not lobbying for votes (!) -- I am just glad to have found this blog and am surprised and honored for one of my posts to be nominated for post of the year.

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 07:51:16 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
How can one not vote for Celtic's Will Solomon post? It has drama, humor, conflict and left us all better people

+1.

I'd love to back Roy here because he puts more time and effort into these forums than anyone, but Celtic's post was my favorite one of the year. I mean that post was funny.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 08:56:24 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

hobbsy's post deserves it bc of the information, the # of times people have referenced it, and due to the amount of time and dedication that was put into it. its top notch!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 08:34:32 AM by dark_lord »

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 07:15:01 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Only 35 voters? Hmmm.  :-\

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 09:29:58 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

yeah, the voting has been weak in all of the categories (i think this category has had the most votes among them all, and it is only 36 right now).  maybe the HOF was a good idea by design, but might not mean much to the entire CB community.  oh well

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 10:50:49 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

yeah, the voting has been weak in all of the categories (i think this category has had the most votes among them all, and it is only 36 right now).  maybe the HOF was a good idea by design, but might not mean much to the entire CB community.  oh well

I'm not ready to quit on it yet. Get the vote out, yo!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 10:51:51 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I think voting might not be the way to go in the end.

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 10:54:58 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I'm not ready to quit on it yet. Get the vote out, yo!

Two things:

1) I think a lot of it is that people don't want to invest a lot of time into research or reading.  I think the reason the HOF categories that have received the most votes (the best post and the best thread categories) is that there was no reason to click on a link; people either were familiar with the thread, or the post they were voting on was included in the thread.

2) You're probably right that a ton of people don't care about this stuff, but it's still a fun idea, in my opinion.  It gives some recognition to the authors / creators of some of the posts, threads, and articles that have made a difference.

(Speaking of which -- go vote for Steve in the front page article.  I'm flattered to be in the lead, but Mr. Weinman's contributions on the front page vastly trump mine.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 11:24:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Come on....vote already!!!

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 03:14:03 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

I think voting might not be the way to go in the end.

i suggested that and made a thread bringing up that issue, which did not get any real activity in the thread.  but what do i know  ::)  lol

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 03:25:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
My objective in having voting for these categories is for there to be some membership participation in the process and to encourage members to participate in all areas of the Celticsblog site in the hope of eventually getting recognized for an excellent Best of the Year type piece of work.

I will say when all is said and done, I think people should look to self nominate what they believe is their best work. It should not be looked upon as something that is conceited or self effacing. I remember my best posts and threads and fanposts more than others because when I was done with them I remember saying to myself, "wow, that's a [dang] good piece of writing". I'm sure others feel the same way.

If next year more people get to realize that self nominating is a good way to get their best work recognized then with more interest and more voting I think this will eventually be a successful way of getting the membership involved.

What I think a lot of people are looking for is to see their name as one of the permanent inductees and want a way of being able to be involved in that end. I think that would be a colossal mistake and would spurn a lot of rumors of cliques, vote pandering, mod interference and just animosity, the type of which this site was littered with this summer.

I pray upon Jeff never to let the inductees be allowed to be voted upon or nominated in this manner. I think the group that will be inducted this year is a fantastic group and indicative of type of contributions that are needed in order to be inducted. I seriously think it will be a few years before just regular members ever make the list and that will be a good thing.

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2009, 04:11:13 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
Great posts but I voted for Roy's w/o any hesitation. 

-I remember Roy posted that at a time when EVERYONE had questions about the Celtic's financials.
-Roy's post took A LOT of work and diligence.
-Roy's post opened up a great deal of "trade idea" posts, and was used as the final deciding factor when there was any doubt as to if a trade could work.
-It was 100% Celtics related.  Not to take away from the other posts, but it's just that I primarily come here for Celtics stuff.. anything else is just gravy :) 

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2009, 04:14:04 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
What I think a lot of people are looking for is to see their name as one of the permanent inductees and want a way of being able to be involved in that end. I think that would be a colossal mistake and would spurn a lot of rumors of cliques, vote pandering, mod interference and just animosity, the type of which this site was littered with this summer.

I pray upon Jeff never to let the inductees be allowed to be voted upon or nominated in this manner. I think the group that will be inducted this year is a fantastic group and indicative of type of contributions that are needed in order to be inducted. I seriously think it will be a few years before just regular members ever make the list and that will be a good thing.

I think the staff is universally with you, there.  The HOF should be for fun, and for historical / nostalgia reasons.  It's not meant as a popularity contest.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2009, 04:14:37 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

-I remember Roy posted that at a time when EVERYONE had questions about the Celtic's financials.
-Roy's post opened up a great deal of "trade idea" posts, and was used as the final deciding factor when there was any doubt as to if a trade could work.
-It was 100% Celtics related.  Not to take away from the other posts, but it's just that I primarily come here for Celtics stuff.. anything else is just gravy :) 

8)

Thanks for the kind words.

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2009, 04:21:13 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

mmmmm...gravy

well said SPD
Yup