Author Topic: Criticism of Kyrie  (Read 3506 times)

Criticism of Kyrie
« on: December 13, 2018, 08:59:28 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Let me preface this by saying the final two shows he hit yesterday to WIN the game were incredible.. the fact that he shot them were stupid.

Kyrie is an unbelievable player, a scoring machine and I love him in a Celtics uniform. Last night to end the 4th and in OT his level of hero ball was bothering me quite a bit.
There were many circus layups that he missed while being triple teamed. The final play of the 4th he should have passed it, the first three he hit in OT while basically falling out of bounds and having a defender centimeters from his face should have never been shot.. and the final three from 5 feet beyond the arc should have never been shot, you don't do heat checks with the game on the line. If those shots didn't fall last night the narrative would have been much different, and even though they did I still feel he should be called out.
Honestly I don't think the game goes to OT if he just passes the ball on that final possession, and many of his missed layups were bailed out by horrendous foul calls. To be fair Tatum and Morris were both equally as hot last night. I actually thought I saw some frustration in Tatums face during one of the final timeouts from not getting the ball multiple times while being wide open.

I know Kyrie is the man here but I also feel the Celtics have shown us throughout this win streak that any player can step up to the stage when called upon.
During these 7 games we had Morris, Hayward, Theiss, Brown and Tatum games. Kyrie should not feel the need to carry the team on his shoulders.

Re: Criticism of Kyrie
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 09:11:25 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I want to have a guy with superior scoring ability on the team.
If our coach decides to call a different play I am fine with that too.
But I want the most talented guy to be able to shoot when he is feeling confident.

Aesthetically I would like to see Celtics play the way 2014 Spurs did,
but they didn't have Kyrie, they needed more ball movement.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 09:43:00 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 09:12:33 AM »

Kiorrik

Kyrie shoots a solid percentage on horse type shots. It's his thing. It's why he's uncle Dru.

You take the ones he misses with the ones he makes, imo.

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 09:18:01 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Those were terrible shots - especially the last one. I get that he is clutch and a scoring savant, but the OP is right in that the narrative could be totally different this morning. Like, what was the percentage that both of those shots actually go in? Even 10% is too low when the game is on the line like that. We didn't need him to bail us out, we just needed baskets of any kind.

I am glad we have that kind of player/scorer on our team (IT would have taken the same kind-of shots, btw), but I prefer higher percentage looks.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 09:42:36 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 09:19:35 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Down the stretch of a game when you want to dribble the clock out, I want the ball in his hands and creating a shot for himself.  I have no problem with how he played in those situations last night.

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 09:19:59 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
First world problems ...

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 09:32:32 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
It’s a make-miss league.

We’ve seen him miss some wide open shots to win/tie games, and then we see him hit ridiculous shots like last night. Happens with all the greats.

If he swung the ball and hit let’s say Smart or Rozier for a wide open look and they miss, we’d be calling for him to be more aggressive and take the shot, knowing he can get one off against anybody.

There are very few shots I’m upset with him taking, because I’ve seen him make them all. He’s very comfortable taking that pull up three from 5+ feet beyond the arc, and he swishes them. Those circus shots at the rim? He’s arguably the greatest finisher below the rim ever, I’m ok with it.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 09:40:44 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
It’s a make-miss league.

We’ve seen him miss some wide open shots to win/tie games, and then we see him hit ridiculous shots like last night. Happens with all the greats.

If he swung the ball and hit let’s say Smart or Rozier for a wide open look and they miss, we’d be calling for him to be more aggressive and take the shot, knowing he can get one off against anybody.

There are very few shots I’m upset with him taking, because I’ve seen him make them all. He’s very comfortable taking that pull up three from 5+ feet beyond the arc, and he swishes them. Those circus shots at the rim? He’s arguably the greatest finisher below the rim ever, I’m ok with it.
My thoughts exactly. The criticism of the action itself is all based upon the result in this make-miss league
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 09:41:29 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I mean, if we had lost you could start this thread.  Or if he doesn’t do it all the **** time you could start this thread.  But as far as I’m concerned it was awesome and I want to see it more.  I trust kyrie on those shots than I do anyone else on the team shooting normal shots.  Kyrie is the man for a reason.

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 09:47:49 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I don't want him to make a habit of it but after watching him get into a scoring duel with Wall I was greatly entertained by the "eff-you" three to close it out.

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 09:49:09 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I said it in the game thread first half, the only way we were going to win this game was Kyrie hero ball!
Its all nice when you move the ball around to find the open shooter... but last night that open shooters were Smart and Semi...

I prefer ball movement. but every now and then we need Kyrie hero ball.

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 09:50:53 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think it’s fair to criticize his defense, and sometimes for not moving the ball.

Questionable shot selection comes with being an elite scorer, though. I want Kyrie to be an alpha with the confidence to take shots 5 feet beyond the 3PT line if he’s feeling it.  I like the killer instinct.

Now, if we were down by 1 and Kyrie took a bad shot on the last play of the game, that’s ripe for criticism. But here, even if he missed, there was plenty of room to recover.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 09:54:45 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
First of all, the layup at the end of regulation was out of a timeout, so I assume that was the play that Coach Stevens wanted. I could have sworn the three point attempt with a defender draped all over him was with the shot clock winding down. And it’s not like Kyrie hasn’t made that three point shot five feet beyond the arc before.

Let’s not forget just how insanely talented Kyrie is offensively. He does have the reputation (and deservingly so) of being the best ball handler the game has ever seen. However, his ability to score is right up there with the elite of the elite. Just because we think a shot is impossible, does not mean a player like Kyrie can’t make it look routine.

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 09:59:23 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
I understand peoples point of view for being fine with his shot selection.
He is an alpha, and a elite scorer. That said we constantly say how deep this team is, do we really need him running out the clock, taking circus shots/layups and shots 5 feet behind the arc in crunch time when we have legitimately 2-3 other legitimate scoring options on the floor at any giving time?

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2018, 10:00:54 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I understand the concept of not wanting to rely on hero ball. I also think last nights game isn't the one to highlight this. The Celtics were missing 3/6 of our best scorers. Hayward, Horford and Brown all missed this game for some reason. When Kyrie looks off a healthy teammate who is feeling it, then we may have a problem.
#JKJB