Poll

Should smart start?

Yes
13 (86.7%)
No
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Should Smart start at the 2 permanently?  (Read 15195 times)

Re: Should Smart start at the 2 permanently?
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2018, 03:58:57 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Brown has got away from what made him good aka driving to the hole, and corner threes.  So I for one, think he is not playing to his strengths rather than the yips.

His shot distribution is almost the same as last year, with two differences: 1) He is shooting less 16-23 footers and more 10-16 footers, and 2) He is shooting a bit more 3-10 footers and a bit less 0-3 footers.

This means two things: 1) He is actually doing a pretty good job with his shot choices, but he is is not getting all the way to the rim, and 2) The issue is he is not hitting his shots, not that he is taking the wrong ones.

« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2018, 04:10:24 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Brown has got away from what made him good aka driving to the hole, and corner threes.  So I for one, think he is not playing to his strengths rather than the yips.
So I don’t have data but my impression is that brown is not particularly good at driving to the hole and finishing.  I also don’t see standing in the corner and shooting threes as his best role long term.  Ultimately, that’s why I struggle to see his fit in this team and why I’m rather bearish on his future in general. 

« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2018, 05:27:09 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

His shot distribution is almost the same as last year, with two differences: 1) He is shooting less 16-23 footers and more 10-16 footers, and 2) He is shooting a bit more 3-10 footers and a bit less 0-3 footers.

This means two things: 1) He is actually doing a pretty good job with his shot choices, but he is is not getting all the way to the rim, and 2) The issue is he is not hitting his shots, not that he is taking the wrong ones.

It's both. He's taking on 21% of his 3s from the corners this year, compared to 38% last year.

He's also shooting worse on those corner 3s (25% vs 43%), but that will probably take care of itself. But a guy like him should be shooting most of his 3s from the corners, it's an easier shot and he's shot it well over 40% in his first two seasons.

« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2018, 05:30:09 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Yes, they should.

Stevens should stick with Smart at the 2 and Morris at the 4.

We need 2 guys in the starting lineup that bring some toughness and defense.

Also, I feel that starting lineup has very good balance.

Clearly, so far Hayward and Brown have been the weak links to the team.

« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2018, 05:51:31 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

It's both. He's taking on 21% of his 3s from the corners this year, compared to 38% last year.

He's also shooting worse on those corner 3s (25% vs 43%), but that will probably take care of itself. But a guy like him should be shooting most of his 3s from the corners, it's an easier shot and he's shot it well over 40% in his first two seasons.
If brown was shooting the same percentage from the corner as last year but shooting less of them then the issue would be shot selection.  But since he’s missing many more of them, that’s the issue.  You assume that it will take care of itself but that’s just an assumption.

« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2018, 06:28:35 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

If brown was shooting the same percentage from the corner as last year but shooting less of them then the issue would be shot selection.  But since he’s missing many more of them, that’s the issue. You assume that it will take care of itself but that’s just an assumption.

I said in another thread that it's quite possible the Jaylen's shooting last year was an outlier. Based on his college career, rookie season, and his continuing struggles from the line, his 3pt shooting last season could be a fluke.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #81 on: November 28, 2018, 06:32:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
When asked if Smart will be starting going forward Stevens says the problem with that is they rely on his energy at the 6 minute mark.

Take that for what it is but it's definitely not a very good statement on the possibility of Smart starting long term.

« Reply #82 on: November 28, 2018, 06:32:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
When asked if Smart will be starting going forward Stevens says the problem with that is they rely on his energy at the 6 minute mark.

Take that for what it is but it's definitely not a very good statement on the possibility of Smart starting long term.

« Reply #83 on: November 28, 2018, 06:48:46 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

I hope he gives Smart starting a longer try....

If he inspires Brown to be more active on defense by example, then they'll be fine at the 6 minute mark with or without Smart. 

Is it possible that players are more likely to imitate/be inspired by the energy of a starting player than a player off the bench?  I mean subconsciously...

If I were off the bench replacing a high energy starter I'd feel pretty ashamed to go in and not bring the energy....not sure I'd subconsciously do the same subbing in for a sub.  I might think to myself, well, he's a bench guy and brought energy as he's supposed to, my starting butt needn't match that low minute scrub Tasmanian Devil.... (you get my point).

« Reply #84 on: November 28, 2018, 08:54:17 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

Sorry Brad, that is total BS.

Start the energy at the beginning of the game. Plus, I think Smart is a good match with Irving, both defensively and offensively.

« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2018, 09:24:58 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Interesting that he didn't make mention of Brown still deserving the job, and instead said the team need Smart off the bench.

Is this a subtle shot at Brown, calling out his lack of energy in games?  Or just Brad making note of how rare Smart's tenacity is?  I lean towards the latter, but if it's the former, that's not great.  Hopefully Brown doesn't read anything into this.

But regardless of who starts, Brown needs to play a lot better, and specifically needs to play his role.  Someone needs to bring him back down to earth.  Ditto for Rozier.

« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2018, 09:57:14 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Interesting that he didn't make mention of Brown still deserving the job, and instead said the team need Smart off the bench.

Is this a subtle shot at Brown, calling out his lack of energy in games?  Or just Brad making note of how rare Smart's tenacity is?  I lean towards the latter, but if it's the former, that's not great.  Hopefully Brown doesn't read anything into this.

But regardless of who starts, Brown needs to play a lot better, and specifically needs to play his role.  Someone needs to bring him back down to earth.  Ditto for Rozier.

Which earth? They're kids that lead a fantastic and deep playoff run, then were demoted, and are now watching the team lose under different leadership. That seems to be a tough pill to swallow.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 10:23:20 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2018, 11:50:28 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas

Which earth? They're kids that lead a fantastic and deep playoff run, then were demoted, and are now watching the team lose under different leadership. That seems to be a tough pill to swallow.
Hopefully they don’t really believe that they’ve earned a more prominnat role than they have now.  They haven’t.  The playoff run was nice but short sample size could be seen as a fluke.  Besides, even had they beaten the Cavs they get anihilated by the warriors, which means they’re nowhere near a title contender.  That’s only going to happen if guys like brown are much further down the pecking order.  But he had to be able to play that role well for it to work.

« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2018, 04:37:15 AM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41

They wouldn't need his energy at the 6 minute mark if they have a nice lead each night because he is starting   Especially if they have energy from the start of the game and the team doesn’t have to claw back from a double digit deficit.

« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2018, 11:38:37 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

They wouldn't need his energy at the 6 minute mark if they have a nice lead each night because he is starting   Especially if they have energy from the start of the game and the team doesn’t have to claw back from a double digit deficit.

Yep, and if it isn’t working in any particular game we can always give Smart a quick hook and we have options of bringing Hayward, Brown, of Rozier quickly off the bench.   

We have been getting torched by shooting guards like Oladipo that I think we should give this lineup a serious look for now.  The added benefit is Irving gets to play more off the ball.