Author Topic: Kobe Bryant, Daughter and 7 Others Killed in Helicopter Crash  (Read 24493 times)

Re: TMZ Report: Kobe Killed in Helicopter Crash
« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2020, 05:43:46 PM »

Offline celticsbaby89

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
Never forget that he raped someone
In all fairness soccer fans are much worse than you ... especially the ones in poorer countries
and your tweet is worse than his

« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2020, 05:47:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
There’s a time and a place to discuss Kobe’s faults. Today isn’t the time and this thread isn’t the place.

If you don’t want to honor him, remember that he left behind a family that is now mourning the loss of a father and sister.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2020, 05:52:33 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 208
Sad news indeed and this hit me more and harder than I would have imagined.  I hated Kobe the player.  Mostly because he was a Laker but also because he seemed selfish and arrogant.  He seemed to have remade his image since retirement.  You could see his joy for the game, the fact that he was a true student of the game and he became a mentor in retirement that he never seemed to be as a player.  My impression and feelings of him changed the past few years.  RIP Kobe an Gigi...my thought to their family.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2020, 05:52:49 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2020, 05:57:59 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Sad news indeed and this hit me more and harder than I would have imagined.  I hated Kobe the player.  Mostly because he was a Laker but also because he seemed selfish and arrogant.  He seemed to have remade his image since retirement.  You could see his joy for the game, the fact that he was a true student of the game and he became a mentor in retirement that he never seemed to be as a player.  My impression and feelings of him changed the past few years.  RIP Kobe an Gigi...my thought to their family.
TP, every word are my thoughts too.  Always respected Kobe.

« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2020, 06:00:02 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja
There’s a time and a place to discuss Kobe’s faults. Today isn’t the time and this thread isn’t the place.

If you don’t want to honor him, remember that he left behind a family that is now mourning the loss of a father and sister.
I understand your point but disagree. CS is not in the business of writing hagiography.

The action in this thread is fast and furious right now, I understand that as well.

But for now, I believe all topics are legitimate if honestly and fully discussed and we all benefit from such a discussion.  It is not proper to act as if half a story is the only story.

It is not, and should not, be required that CS say only good things about the dead.

Mention of the rape by Bryant would be most certainly out place at his funeral. But it would not be out of place on a news broadcast about him. CS is closer to the latter than it is the former, thank goodness.

But most certainly, there should be no personal insults aimed at individual posters.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2020, 06:01:55 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Here is Boston's defining moment against Kobe's Lakers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpxtiQZiK2c

That Game 4 2008 Finals....

« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2020, 06:03:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I understand your point but disagree. CS is not in the business of writing hagiography.

The action in this thread is fast and furious right now, I understand that as well.

But for now, I believe all topics are legitimate if honestly and fully discussed and we all benefit from such a discussion.  It is not proper to act as if half a story is the only story.

It is not, and should not, be required that CS say only good things about the dead.

Mention of the rape by Bryant would be most certainly out place at his funeral. But it would not be out of place on a news broadcast about him. CS is closer to the latter than it is the former, thank goodness.

But most certainly, there should be no personal insults aimed at individual posters.

I appreciate the sentiment, but CS does indeed have rules about this, and they’re consistent with what I posted above.

Quote from: Posting Rules
  Posters should appreciate that in many instances, commentary that would otherwise be appropriate may not be appropriate in a specific thread (i.e., bringing up rumors of alleged cocaine use by a beloved player in a tribute thread dedicated to the memory of that player, etc.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2020, 06:03:03 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Just saw his daughter died too. Very saddening and disturbing news in general.

« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2020, 06:05:39 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
May he RIP, he was a great player, I never liked him as he was a Laker, but way to young to die as was his daughter.  Basketball lost a great player.

« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2020, 06:06:45 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

I appreciate the sentiment, but CS does indeed have rules about this, and they’re consistent with what I posted above.
honestly roy, and you know the type of poster i am here, would you please show me exactly where it says we can post something negative about a dead person in one thread, but not another? i write this because that does seem to be what is being stated.

does such a rule apply only to some people (kobe) and not others (soleimani)?

if it is such a rule, i will certainly abide by it. thanks.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2020, 06:07:31 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

But bring it up on an other day. We're not even 12 hours after the crash. His wife lost a husband and a daughter today. I try to say things online I would in person. Say those things in front of their family. In front of teammates like Shaq.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 06:13:00 PM by Sketch5 »

« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2020, 06:08:55 PM »

Offline SDceltGuy

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 49
Geez the way people are talking about this guy on tv is sickening.  It’s sad for his kids and family but the world is going to just fine without him.  He used to put a ball in a basket.  Sorry but the coverage is so over the top and lacks perspective.

« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2020, 06:09:54 PM »

Offline celticsbaby89

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5

But bring it up on an other day. We're not even 12 hours after the crash. His wife lost a husband and a daughter today. I try to say things online I would in person. Say those things in front of their family. In front of teammates like Shaq. I dare you.

i agree with the first part 1000%

« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2020, 06:09:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

honestly roy, and you know the type of poster i am here, would you please show me exactly where it says we can post something negative about a dead person in one thread, but not another? i write this because that does seem to be what is being stated.

if it is such a rule, i will certainly abide by it. thanks.

1.  See:

Posters should appreciate that in many instances, commentary that would otherwise be appropriate may not be appropriate in a specific thread (i.e., bringing up rumors of alleged cocaine use by a beloved player in a tribute thread dedicated to the memory of that player, etc.)

2.  You’re a good poster, so I’m sure you understand this, but even without that rule a mod’s request to stop doing something is enough.