Author Topic: League Pass Problems - Anyone else?  (Read 7666 times)

League Pass Problems - Anyone else?
« on: November 27, 2018, 04:13:23 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
I use League Pass on Roku to watch the games. Lately, the performance has been so poor as to be almost unwatchable.

I get frequent streaming stops with a "Loading" screen. Also it occasionally just kicks out to the home screen.

I've tried different routers and deleting and re-installing the app. No improvement.

FWIW, all my other streaming services on Roku run fine.

Thoughts, anyone?
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Re: League Pass Problems - Anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 04:18:44 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Not on Roku but I have League Pass thru Amazon Fire TV and ran into an issue a couple of weeks ago where none of the games had sound.  I even double checked to make sure I hadn't muted anything by accident. 

Been having an on again, off again issue sometimes with getting booted out of the telecast & it puts me back on the screen with the "choose your broadcast team".

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 04:33:58 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I hate that the fire tv/stick wont let you ff during playback.

Last year, you could start a game a few minutes late, rewind to the beginning,  and then catch backup.  That doesn't seem to be an option on any of the platforms I've tried this year.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 04:34:44 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I use League Pass on Roku to watch the games. Lately, the performance has been so poor as to be almost unwatchable.

I get frequent streaming stops with a "Loading" screen. Also it occasionally just kicks out to the home screen.

I've tried different routers and deleting and re-installing the app. No improvement.

Thoughts, anyone?

I had the exact same problem last year, except I was streaming through my PS3.  League Pass was unwatchable with constant buffering, freezing, etc.  The thing is everything else I streamed on my PS3 worked fine: Netflix, Prime, etc.   I tried switching from wifi to wired, re-installed the app, nothing helped.  It was a miserable experience.

Then I noticed League Pass worked fine everywhere else but my PS3.  If I streamed on my computer or phone it was fine. 

The only solution I have is to try streaming on a computer, and if that works connect your PC to the TV (if you can).  Personally, I use a steam link to do this, but a laptop with an HDMI output is a simple, easy set up too.

Unfortunately only solution I have.  The NBA is really shooting themselves in the foot here, just a terrible product/service driving a lot of their customers to pirated streams.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 04:38:58 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford

Thoughts, anyone?

I had the exact same problem last year, except I was streaming through my PS3.  League Pass was unwatchable with constant buffering, freezing, etc.  The thing is everything else I streamed on my PS3 worked fine: Netflix, Prime, etc.   I tried switching from wifi to wired, re-installed the app, nothing helped.  It was a miserable experience.

Then I noticed League Pass worked fine everywhere else but my PS3.  If I streamed on my computer or phone it was fine. 

The only solution I have is to try streaming on a computer, and if that works connect your PC to the TV (if you can).  Personally, I use a steam link to do this, but a laptop with an HDMI output is a simple, easy set up too.

Unfortunately only solution I have.  The NBA is really shooting themselves in the foot here, just a terrible product/service driving a lot of their customers to pirated streams.

That's worth a try.

TP
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 05:30:42 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Last year, you could start a game a few minutes late, rewind to the beginning,  and then catch backup.  That doesn't seem to be an option on any of the platforms I've tried this year.

Hmmm, is that true for all users? I had NBALP the last couple of years, but decided to try something 'different' this year and I've had no issues thus far. With Apple TV (and I assume Chromecast), I just get the game going on my ipad and then mirror to my television. This has been great! The one thing I do miss is if I am late to the game, being able to start from the beginning and ff through the commercials. If that option is gone, then I would never go back.

I should note that one of the reasons I didn't sign up for LP this year was because of streaming issues last year. I was actually forced to occasionally find alternative methods last year in order to watch the game. I found it incredibly lame that I was paying for a service that had so many issues.

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 05:33:08 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford

Hmmm, is that true for all users? I had NBALP the last couple of years, but decided to try something 'different' this year and I've had no issues thus far. With Apple TV (and I assume Chromecast), I just get the game going on my ipad and then mirror to my television. This has been great! The one thing I do miss is if I am late to the game, being able to start from the beginning and ff through the commercials. If that option is gone, then I would never go back.

I should note that one of the reasons I didn't sign up for LP this year was because of streaming issues last year. I was actually forced to occasionally find alternative methods last year in order to watch the game. I found it incredibly lame that I was paying for a service that had so many issues.

What is your streaming source?

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 06:16:31 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
This was the first year since 2003 that I didn’t buy the LP through my cable provider.

Instead, I bought the single team through nba.com or iTunes or whatever and watch it through Apple TV or sling it from my iPhone/iPad. I was planning on just using the NBA app on my Samsung TV, but they apparently didn’t make an app for Samsung this season.

Honestly, haven’t had issues with it. I like that it shows some in-arena stuff that broadcast LP just cuts to local commercials. If I watch the game on replay they edit out all of the breaks, which is pretty great that I don’t need to do it manually from DVR.

Love that you get home AND away broadcasts of every game.

Only peeves are that you can’t put game on after it started and select play from beginning, you have to manually rewind. And if you don’t catch up before game ends, you lose the feed for a few minutes until the edited version is ready (usually only a few minutes though), but have to FF to where you were.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 06:24:06 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I have it via Direct Tv and it works very well.  I liked Streaming when we had it too, but one has to have a good speed for it.

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 09:43:31 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
Fixed it.

I went into Roku settings and changed the display value from 1080i to 720p. There is a minor but acceptable loss of picture quality in exchange for much more stable streaming.