Author Topic: Suns decline Dragan Bender’s 4th-year option  (Read 8749 times)

Re: Suns decline Dragan Bender’s 4th-year option
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 10:30:21 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
He's completely out of the rotation this season, on a team that severely lacks talent and is rebuilding. That says a lot for a young prospect. No thanks.

His life story ......

Would love to go back and revisit some of the Bender "evaluations" on the board pre-draft.  He might've been the prospect that posters got most vocal for & against.

Well we all have made poor selections .. and will make many more.

What was infuriating was the completely out of place and time comments and opinions about the israeli basketball league and maccabi by people who haven't watched a single euroleague game..

Bender was an intersting case. Very long kid who could shot but extremely raw. When drafted he had spent two season in Israel as an end of the bench guy playing a few mins per game and he had removed himself from the Croatian Junior Teams. So in two very important years of his carrier he saw almost no play time with a bad Maccabi team in a bad league.

He was a nice end of first round / second round pick. Give him time to develop , maybe send him in a good Euroleague team in order to develop.

But lottery pick ?????  As buffling as picking Papaggianis that high!

But everyone were afraid of loosing the next Giannis ......
I think people, including GM's, thought Bender might be the next Porzingis.  Porzingis at the same age Bender was likely only a mid-1st round pick so he withdrew and then came back the next year and went 4 and has been awesome.  I think a lot of people thought he had a similar enough body frame and had showed enough promise that people thought he would have a Porzingis like development curve.  That obviously was not the case, though I do always wonder, what his career might have looked like had he stayed in Europe an extra season or two and then came over.  Could have developed more, better, and faster in Europe then he did on the Suns.  Who knows.  He also still might end up with a decent career if he gets a change of scenery.  A Gerald Green development arc is most definitely possible and heck who knows maybe he does a Jermaine O'Neal type curve if he gets physically stronger.  What is clear is that he never should have been the 4th pick in that draft.  He just wasn't ready and that extra scrutiny did him no favors. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 10:44:00 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Bender is still younger than a lot of guys who were just drafted.   He shot fairly well last year (36.6% on threes) and played a solid 25.2 mpg over all 82 games.   Those are pretty good sophomore numbers, especially for someone that young.  It looked at that point like he was carving out a career.   

Since then, though the Suns have drafted and committed all-in to local college product Ayton and combined with giving minutes to expensive veterans Ariza, Anderson and Chandler, there just doesn't seem to be anyway room in thier big man rotation to give him minutes.

Makes no sense to commit a team option to a guy you can't carve out more than 4 mpg for.

The Suns are a weird roster.  They have a strange mix of old veterans and extreme youth.    If they are rebuilding, why do they bring in guys like Ariza and Anderson?

I'll echo the sentiment that I'm glad that the Celtics drafted Jaylen instead of Bender.  I was one of those who defended Bender as an option but also defended Jaylen as a great choice for that pick as well and that the difference was always going to be in who was more 'NBA ready' (Jaylen, obviously).  I was just adamantly against picking guys like Hield, Dunn or Murray.   Given the Celtics more immediate contention plan, Jaylen made and makes SO much more sense.  But I do think it's awful early to close the book on such a young player as Bender.   I suspect someone will take a flyer on him.   
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2018, 11:02:45 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I wonder what he would look like in a more stable situation. I mean, if you switched him out for Semi, could Bender be better?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2018, 11:10:43 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I wonder what he would look like in a more stable situation. I mean, if you switched him out for Semi, could Bender be better?

I'd rather switch him out for Yab. 

It seems crazy to give up on a 7 foot 21 year old who can shoot and has some athleticism.  I'd take a shot with him and see if Brad can coach him up.

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2018, 12:01:21 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Given his youth, his story not yet written. Hope he works hard to prove doubters wrong.

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2018, 01:11:15 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I think Phoenix is such a poorly run an organization that they just ruin players.    I liked Bender but knew he was a project.  Even still, I thought he would be better than he has been.    A lot of people here liked Marquese Chriss and he looked good as a rookie at the start of the season but then he regressed fast.  Booker really looks the same as he did as a rookie, I really see no growth in his game.   Josh Jackson was thought to be better than Tatum coming out by a lot of people but he only flashed potential.   Granted it’s only been two weeks into the season but does he look any better? I had wished we had the ability to trade up for Alex Len when he came out but being on Phoenix did nothing for his game.  Every once and a while he’d look good but then the Phoenix system would bring him back down to sucky.   They blew it with IT and Bledso.  They jacked things up with the Morris brothers.   They are so inept that I feel sorry for Ayton.  Sure he looks great but what’s he learning about being a professional in that organization.  Lucky for him he came ready to play right away, but unlucky for him he probably won’t get much better.   Despite his short comings I’d still rather have Bender than Yabusele.  I’d like to see what a real coach and a professional organization that understands player development can do with his potential and his willingness to learn.   I had wanted Boston to take a flyer on Len this summer for the same reasons, but they signed Brad Wanamaker instead.   

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2019, 07:55:57 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Bender with 2 consecutive DD's.
Who gets the last laugh?  :laugh:
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2019, 08:04:06 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Bender with 2 consecutive DD's.
Who gets the last laugh?  :laugh:

Chriss is a bust, now Bender. Is Jackson next?

I think Phoenix is way too fast to throw in the towel though. Bender just turned 21. That's really young.

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2019, 08:10:37 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He was a overhyped and rode Porzingas's  coat tails as people were looking for next Porzingas.   More potential than actual substance, but we get a few guys like this every year.   Next draft, people will be looking for the next Doncic, but he is a rare player but GMs will still waste picks looking for that golden player.   Like Ainge, when he drafted Yabu because he thought he could be the next Draymond Green.

t seems crazy to give up on a 7 foot 21 year old who can shoot and has some athleticism

What pray tell athleticism are you speaking off, his predraft vertical was horrific.  His max vertical was 27.5" and most NBA player have at least that as a standing vertical.   He is not strong, not fast and you're left with the mysterious, " he moves well for his size" which is a nice thing to say for a guy that lacks explosion.  His body looks a little better but not as much as it should after three years in the league, must be a hard gainer?

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2019, 08:18:41 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Wonder if anyone here would want us to offer him a minimum contract

I’m a simple man. I see that he doesn’t shoot 3s or play defense well and say pass. He would clog our offense and be a liability on defense.

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2019, 08:27:27 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I expect he’ll sign in Europe.

But for the minimum, sure. He’d give us at least what Jabari Bird has this season.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2019, 08:29:36 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

But for the minimum, sure. He’d give us at least what Jabari Bird has this season.
That says a lot. LOL
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2019, 08:33:26 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

That says a lot. LOL

But we’re not comparing him to bird. We’re comparing him to the available field.

With the way our offense is flowing, I’d look at the stats sheet and get the best 3 pt shooter available.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 08:48:25 AM by Erik »

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2019, 09:13:28 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I watched him last night. He is years away from being a plus rotation player.

That said, I absolutely think he could get there in the right system with the right coaching, which he doesn't have.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2019, 09:14:45 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

That says a lot. LOL

But we’re not comparing him to bird. We’re comparing him to the available field.

With the way our offense is flowing, I’d look at the stats sheet and get the best 3 pt shooter available.
Ah yes because Boston needs more 3 point shooters.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip