Author Topic: The apparent plan for the DPE  (Read 7390 times)

The apparent plan for the DPE
« on: January 15, 2018, 08:39:39 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I have heard now twice from Scal (on the Chris Manix podcast) and once from Bill Simmons (on Rigger NBA podcast) that the Cs are looking to use the DPE on a player who will be with the Cs next season.

The way Scal is explaining it is that the DPE is not prorated. Meaning that the Cs have the ability to give the player they sign the full 8.4 mill for the remainder of the season (not a percentage based on games remaining). Where most players are bought out and signed for around 1 mill the Cs will be offering 8 times that. Both sources are saying that the Cs plan of using this to also put in place a handshake deal for the 18-19 season. This deal would involve the signed player agreeing to sign the following year for the 110% of the DPE that the Cs can offer them.

Example.

Greg Monroe is bought out by the Suns.

His season he is making 17.8mill so lets say they pay him for half the season 8.9mill and the buyout is for 2mill. He makes 10.9mill from suns.

He then signs with the Cs for 8.4mill

He then resigns in the off-season for 110% of 8.4mill. 9.24mill

That would mean for this season and next season he would have made an average of 14.27 per year. Another way to look at it is that the Cs would be paying Monroe around 12mill per season. (17.64mill for less then 1 1/2 seasons).

This ability to pay a player coming off of a buyout at or likely above market value to play on a contender is another major piece the Cs have moving forward.

With that said I think this 2 year plan narrows down who the Cs will be looking to sign to a big man.

Next season the Cs are unlikely to be able to resign Baynes and it will be imperative that they replace him in the paint. Without the DPE this would have likely happened using a cap exception and the Cs would have been waiting to see who was left after teams with money where done spending. With the DPE it has been speculated that agents wishing to get there clients paid as I laid out above are more likely to push for buyouts and accept less from their current teams knowing what the Cs can offer. It has even been speculated by I believe Simmons that a player on a sub 10mill per year 2 year deal (like Dedmon for example) could push for a buyout in order to try to get on the Cs.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: The apparent plan for the DPE
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 08:52:56 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Interesting, thanks for the info.

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 09:04:55 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I was under the impression that the DPE was for this season only - meaning even if the Cs use the full $8.4M allotted to them this year, that contract would fully come off the books this offseason and they would be left with only the MLE and Vet Min options.

Is it possible that what 'they' meant was that Cs will give a player the full $8.4M DPE this year (massively overpaying them compared to other teams) and then sign them for the minimum next year by 'combining' those contracts to give a solid Aron Baynes-like contract for two years?

This wouldn't necessarily net them a top-level starter (just over $5M/yr - not including what said player is making this year in salary/buyout), but he would need to make the full MLE from another team next year to make it worth it and he would also get their money up front. For the Cs - they save a LOT of money next year when they are going to likely be tax payers.

If I am wrong about how the DPE works, I apologize in advance. Thanks for the inside info about how the Cs are looking to use it! Ainge is certainly always pushing for an angle   :)

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 09:13:46 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Are we sure it doesn’t prorate? It’s value is tied to the Non-Taxpayer MLE, which does pro-rate after January 10.

Also, the chances of the Celts and a free agent agreeing to a “handshake” deal are pretty slim, just due to the penalties if we got caught.

The basic concept is fine, but I think that resigning the DPE player is more of a hope than a concrete plan.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 09:16:20 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Always loved Greg Monroe. People claim he sucks, but from my visual test of watching him, he's always playing like "the biggest dude in the room." Would love to see what he would look like in a true defensive scheme.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 09:18:37 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I was under the impression that the DPE was for this season only - meaning even if the Cs use the full $8.4M allotted to them this year, that contract would fully come off the books this offseason and they would be left with only the MLE and Vet Min options.

Is it possible that what 'they' meant was that Cs will give a player the full $8.4M DPE this year (massively overpaying them compared to other teams) and then sign them for the minimum next year by 'combining' those contracts to give a solid Aron Baynes-like contract for two years?

This wouldn't necessarily net them a top-level starter (just over $5M/yr - not including what said player is making this year in salary/buyout), but he would need to make the full MLE from another team next year to make it worth it and he would also get their money up front. For the Cs - they save a LOT of money next year when they are going to likely be tax payers.

If I am wrong about how the DPE works, I apologize in advance. Thanks for the inside info about how the Cs are looking to use it! Ainge is certainly always pushing for an angle   :)

A DPE can only be signed for $8.4 million this year.  Then he’s a free agent.

However, when he’s a free agent, he can be signed to a deal using non-Bird rights for 120% of $8.4 million, or about $10.1 million.  This is a larger deal than the MLE next year, so in essence it gives the Celtics a $10.1 salary slot next season.  This $10.1 million could also be used in a sign-and-trade to bring back even more salary.

I frankly doubt such a situation is the primary goal of the Celtics.  Giving someone $8.4 million might keep that option open, but ultimately I don’t think the team has room for another large contract next season, and I don’t see Anthony Davis being traded.

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 09:19:55 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Are we sure it doesn’t prorate? It’s value is tied to the Non-Taxpayer MLE, which does pro-rate after January 10.

Also, the chances of the Celts and a free agent agreeing to a “handshake” deal are pretty slim, just due to the penalties if we got caught.

The basic concept is fine, but I think that resigning the DPE player is more of a hope than a concrete plan.

It does not pro-rate.  It just goes away completely on March 10th (I think I have the date right), so it’s not usable on someone the last day of the season like the pro-rated MLE is.

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 09:20:20 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I believe that we would still have some level of “rights” to the DPE player.  Non-Bird free agents can sign for up to 120% of their prior contract.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 09:32:31 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Well I hope we re-sign Baynes next year which could be more important than any DPE we get now. He fits so well next Horford, and won’t be that easy to replace.

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 09:41:33 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Just out of curiosity, if the injured player, in our case Gordon Hayward, managed to come back to and play this season, does the DPE remain (if left unused by then)?

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 09:44:02 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Just out of curiosity, if the injured player, in our case Gordon Hayward, managed to come back to and play this season, does the DPE remain (if left unused by then)?

If Hayward comes back before the DPE is used, it’s gone.  But the DPE expires March 10th, which is before even the most optimistic return timetable for Hayward, so in our case, it’s moot.

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 10:14:32 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
If we use the DPE, Hayward cannot return this season, correct?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 10:38:00 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
No Hayward can come back with our DPE.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 10:39:33 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
He can still come back. Just need to use DPE before he comes back.

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 10:56:26 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33