Author Topic: Wiggins: I Want To Play For Team That Wants Me  (Read 6755 times)

Wiggins: I Want To Play For Team That Wants Me
« on: August 03, 2014, 01:55:28 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I feel for the kid.  You could tell he was hurt about it.  Being picked #1 just to get shipped out a month or so later.  I hope he uses it as a motivation to be better than the guy calling the shots in Cleveland.  I like Lebron but I think he has an opportunity here to hold claim to molding a once in a decade talent.  I can't fault him either because his accomplishments, no matter how great or vast, is and will always be measured by rings in comparison to MJ or Kobe.  So...that's what I feel he's gunning for.  Forget all of that for a second, one has to ask if Cleveland is making a smart choice here.  The more I'm thinking about it, the more it's apparent that this may end up bitting them in the a**.  They'll have Lebron and Love for one year with the hope of signing an extention.  If they don't win a championship (injury or whatever) this coming season, one or both might bolt on them.  Trading the future for the moment.  Is it smart?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 04:24:34 PM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Re: Wiggins: I Want To Play For Team That Wants Me
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 02:05:11 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
It's a smart move for Minn to get a Canadian. Probably the only guy that can deal with the cold. They should try to get Bennet too.

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 02:05:40 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
Come to Boston, Wiggins. We'll want and appreciate you!   ;D

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 02:08:10 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
This entire LeBron James saga is a real insight into human behavior. People will invariably do what is their best interest most of the time. Imagine Cleveland and their outrage at LeBron for bolting four years ago now welcoming him back, and dealing a young prospect unceremoniously to maximize their chance of winning right now.

They cried when LeBron dumped them for his own quest to win, but do not hesitate to dump Wiggins when it suits their purpose.

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 02:12:04 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
The more I think about I think the other way that it's a smart move to trade for Love.  Wiggins may never be as good as Love.  Even if he is say 3 or 4 years down the road Lebron will be approaching his mid 30's.  I think it's better to optimize Lebron's prime now as he is turning 30, and Love himself is only 25.  Also with Irving at a young age they would still be very well positioned for the next 5 years or so.

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 02:59:45 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
It's hard for me to feel sorry for a kid who's going to mack that kind of money. Regardless of what team he's on he'll be in the NBA. That's a dream that only a few can realize. Yes, he'll be in Minnesota and that sucks but I wouldn't want to live in Cleveland either.
If he hates the Wolves he can depart in a few years and pick any place that wants him. Amusing he's not a bust.

As for the Cavs, I'd make the move for Love without ever looking back.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 03:07:12 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
If James doesn't win a title in the next two years in Cleveland ....I don't think he'll win one there.

He might have to bolt for Dallas or else where to get another ring.

Cleveland should keep Wiggins.

Wiggins leaves,   James. ,  leaves in two year with no title , NBA changes lottery rules ...I hope ...and they are back to the bottom of the pile .  Irving will want out too by then .

So basically ...Cleveland has 1 to 3 years to attempt to get a title. I don't see people or FA stars signing there long term like LA.

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 03:13:31 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Cleveland has to go for it right now. This is the best chance they will probably ever have.  I doubt this Wiggins kid will be half the player James. You have the best player in the world on your team you try and win with him now.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 03:42:52 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I think this trade is a mistake.  It's not just a Wiggins/Love swap.  Supposedly it's Wiggins, Bennett, salary filler/lesser players and a first round pick for Love who will command $20m+ next year.  They are giving up youth, depth, and financial flexibility which is the difficulty Miami faced.  Lebron, Kyrie, and Love will make close to $65m in 15/16 while Bennett and Wiggins will make $11m for the next few years. 

Bennett still has potential and if Wiggins becomes a star, which I think he will, then they will help Cleveland contend in Lebron's latter years and beyond.

Lebron said his return wasn't about the roster, that he looked forward to mentoring young players, and knew it would take time, but obviously he didn't mean that.  This seems like a move to please the King rather than strengthening the organization.

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 04:02:09 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
This entire LeBron James saga is a real insight into human behavior. People will invariably do what is their best interest most of the time. Imagine Cleveland and their outrage at LeBron for bolting four years ago now welcoming him back, and dealing a young prospect unceremoniously to maximize their chance of winning right now.

They cried when LeBron dumped them for his own quest to win, but do not hesitate to dump Wiggins when it suits their purpose.
tp. Good post, I agree. Also Lebron is not going back to CLE if they do not get the #1 pick this year. All this"I'm coming home" crap is a joke.

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2014, 04:13:49 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I have to admit that Wiggins impressed me in summer league. Not by how many points he scored but by how he got those points. He has a reaaaaaal nice step back jumper, I can tell that he is going to make that a big part of his game.

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 04:17:50 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I think this trade is a mistake.  It's not just a Wiggins/Love swap.  Supposedly it's Wiggins, Bennett, salary filler/lesser players and a first round pick for Love who will command $20m+ next year.  They are giving up youth, depth, and financial flexibility which is the difficulty Miami faced.  Lebron, Kyrie, and Love will make close to $65m in 15/16 while Bennett and Wiggins will make $11m for the next few years. 

Bennett still has potential and if Wiggins becomes a star, which I think he will, then they will help Cleveland contend in Lebron's latter years and beyond.

Lebron said his return wasn't about the roster, that he looked forward to mentoring young players, and knew it would take time, but obviously he didn't mean that.  This seems like a move to please the King rather than strengthening the organization.

Exactly my thoughts. 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 04:49:40 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1482

Exactly my thoughts.

I 2nd this.  If I was the cleveland gm, I wouldn't trade Wiggins.  Too much talent at a very reasonable salary. 

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 04:52:42 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
You may argue that a Love/Wiggins trade isn't the right long-term move; of course, it will be years before any such prognostications can actually be judged for accuracy.

However, it is almost certainly the right short-term move. Unless Wiggins has a monstrous rookie season (which I find unlikely, but I am the conductor of the "Wiggins will be a bust" train, so I am of course biased), the Cavs will undoubtably be better for this coming season and probably the season thereafter with Kevin Love. Of course, we won't be able to judge this prediction for another year, either.

So ... who the heck knows? This could be a win-win situation for both teams (Cleveland wins a title, Minny gets a future superstar), this could be a lose-lose situation for both teams (Cleveland underperforms, Wiggins is a bust), or it could be a win-lose situation where only one team wins. Literally every outcome is equally possible at this point; regardless of what you think of Wiggins' talent, he is still a completely unknown quantity at the NBA level, plain and simple. And this will be the first time we see Love in a context other than those terrible, terrible T-Wolves teams.

Either way, this is going to be wild and fun to watch.

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 04:56:19 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
It's hard for me to feel sorry for a kid who's going to mack that kind of money. Regardless of what team he's on he'll be in the NBA. That's a dream that only a few can realize. Yes, he'll be in Minnesota and that sucks but I wouldn't want to live in Cleveland either.
If he hates the Wolves he can depart in a few years and pick any place that wants him. Amusing he's not a bust.

As for the Cavs, I'd make the move for Love without ever looking back.

Just because he's making good money doesn't mean his feelings can't get hurt. How would you feel if some one picked you and then turn around and said you're not good enough for us now that we have the ability to get this guy.

I know some one will say he needs to man up because it's how the league is, but he's still a kid and hasn't even been on the floor of a regular season game yet, not even a preseason game.

I feel for him, he has a high of being the number one, and then gets shipped out two months later. I can't blame him for being upset. He goes from playing with Irving and a friend in Bennett, and goes to Minny and plays with......

Seems like a good kid, I hope this doesn't effect his confidence.