Author Topic: Kevin Durant: whats his ceiling?  (Read 10621 times)

Kevin Durant: whats his ceiling?
« on: February 17, 2014, 10:40:36 AM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
This guy is only 25 years old and he's absolutely killing it. Can he be a top 10 player of all time when its all said and done?

Re: Kevin Durant: whats his ceiling?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 10:49:10 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think so.

But he has to improve to the point where he is a better player then Lebron for a season. 

When you look at the top 10 of all time, each one of them I bet you can make the argument that they were the best player in the league for a season or two. 

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 11:17:52 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think so.

But he has to improve to the point where he is a better player then Lebron for a season. 

When you look at the top 10 of all time, each one of them I bet you can make the argument that they were the best player in the league for a season or two.

Arguably Durant is already doing that this season.

I think the ceiling for Durant is as high as you can possibly go.  If he remains healthy and the Thunder continue to put good pieces around him, I see no reason why he couldn't end up with 4-5+ titles when all is said and done.  There's going to come a time when LeBron is starting to fade a bit and Durant is still in his physical prime.

It's also entirely possible that Durant never wins a title and maybe only gets one or two MVPs.  Maybe by the time LeBron loosens his grip on the league, Anthony Davis will have eclipsed Durant, or maybe somebody else we haven't even seen yet.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 11:18:58 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I think so.

I don t thnk it's unreasonable to say he's been better than LeBron this season.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 11:22:48 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I think he is an incredible offensive player.  Not cerebral, but physically gifted.  He will be the scoring champ for several years.  Kind of MJ mind-set.  Won't break the assist record....that's for sure.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 11:50:29 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
no idea what his ceiling is, but he's a remarkable talent. i think he's been the MVP of this season, thus far.
- LilRip

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 05:08:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I'm not sure he will ever be top 10 all time as I don't think he moves ahead of at least 4 of these guys:

Russell
Chamberlain
Robertson
Jabbar
Erving
Moses
Magic
Larry
Jordan
Hakeem
Shaq
Duncan
Kobe
James
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 05:11:39 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
He has become a better all around player than I thought he could ever be, on offense.  I have been impressed with his growth rebounding and passing.

He still could be a better passer for sure (he gets as many assists as he does because he is drawing defenses so intensely to him with his shot making ability).

He has also improved on defense but I don't think he's close to LeBron's level or anything.  He could improve there for sure.

It'll be fun to watch.

I think so.

I don't think it's unreasonable but I think people doing that like I'm seeing lately is just a reminder no one cares that much about defense.  Not that KD is bad on D (I have been happy to see his defense improve) but LeBron is guarding 1-5 positions at an elite level.  He's such a great defensive player.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 05:20:44 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 05:48:15 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
He has become a better all around player than I thought he could ever be, on offense.  I have been impressed with his growth rebounding and passing.

He still could be a better passer for sure (he gets as many assists as he does because he is drawing defenses so intensely to him with his shot making ability).

He has also improved on defense but I don't think he's close to LeBron's level or anything.  He could improve there for sure.

It'll be fun to watch.

I think so.

I don't think it's unreasonable but I think people doing that like I'm seeing lately is just a reminder no one cares that much about defense.  Not that KD is bad on D (I have been happy to see his defense improve) but LeBron is guarding 1-5 positions at an elite level.  He's such a great defensive player.

Defense doesn't come naturally to him, but you can see he's starting to "think" the game on that end. He has made significant strides, but I don't realistically see him ever being as versatile as a defender as Lebron. I don't think he has the bulk to defend bigger guys, specifically. But with his length, athleticism, and quickness, he can be an incredibly disruptive perimeter defender.

Still, I don't think not being a Lebron-esque defensive player doesn't mean he can't over take Lebron as the best player in the league. Because when you really look at both players, Lebron isn't as great of a scorer as Durant - even in his best scoring seasons, Lebron was reliant on beating opponents off the dribble and being able to get into the paint to score. He didn't really refine is post game and his shooting until later in his career (and he's still not the pure shooter Durant is). In this same way, I expect Durant to refine his defensive game as he gets older.

As recently as last season, Lebron was still the best clearly the best player in the world with Durant being the clear cut #2. This year, it's a legitimate debate. Next year.... I don't know. Durant doesn't have a ceiling, IMO. He's the type of player that has extraordinary physical gifts, but he also has good understanding of how to play basketball.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 05:52:58 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
This was it until late last year:

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 05:56:31 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Defense doesn't come naturally to him, but you can see he's starting to "think" the game on that end. He has made significant strides, but I don't realistically see him ever being as versatile as a defender as Lebron. I don't think he has the bulk to defend bigger guys, specifically. But with his length, athleticism, and quickness, he can be an incredibly disruptive perimeter defender.

Still, I don't think not being a Lebron-esque defensive player doesn't mean he can't over take Lebron as the best player in the league. Because when you really look at both players, Lebron isn't as great of a scorer as Durant - even in his best scoring seasons, Lebron was reliant on beating opponents off the dribble and being able to get into the paint to score. He didn't really refine is post game and his shooting until later in his career (and he's still not the pure shooter Durant is). In this same way, I expect Durant to refine his defensive game as he gets older.

As recently as last season, Lebron was still the best clearly the best player in the world with Durant being the clear cut #2. This year, it's a legitimate debate. Next year.... I don't know. Durant doesn't have a ceiling, IMO. He's the type of player that has extraordinary physical gifts, but he also has good understanding of how to play basketball.

I am super impressed by Durants jump shot.  But see like the bolded, why is that said as if it is a negative to LeBron?  Being able to beat everyone off the driblle and get to the rim (where he is shooting like 70% (!!!!) this year) is a good thing.  Close shots are the best shots.  LeBron has managed to be clutch getting to the rim like no players are (almost everyone else is shooting contested jumpers).  And it gets you to the line and gets opponents in foul trouble (which can swing games, always worked against KG and recently with Hibbert).

Durant is a better scorer all around than LeBron, yes.  But LeBron is pretty much unstoppable going to the rim and that's very valuable.

LeBron also can work so much in the post now.  When you see him really need a bucket now, he is pushing the defender under the basket.

I agree the versatility isn't there like it is with Durant but LeBron is an amazing offensive player.  He is a better passer, in addition to the above strengths I listed.

Durant is clearly the #2 in the league so I do think a lot of him.  I just think LeBron is going a bit under appreciated when people are all talking Durant over him.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 06:12:12 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I am super impressed by Durants jump shot.  But see like the bolded, why is that said as if it is a negative to LeBron?  Being able to beat everyone off the driblle and get to the rim (where he is shooting like 70% (!!!!) this year) is a good thing.  Close shots are the best shots.  LeBron has managed to be clutch getting to the rim like no players are (almost everyone else is shooting contested jumpers).  And it gets you to the line and gets opponents in foul trouble (which can swing games, always worked against KG and recently with Hibbert).

Durant is a better scorer all around than LeBron, yes.  But LeBron is pretty much unstoppable going to the rim and that's very valuable.

LeBron also can work so much in the post now.  When you see him really need a bucket now, he is pushing the defender under the basket.

I agree the versatility isn't there like it is with Durant but LeBron is an amazing offensive player.  He is a better passer, in addition to the above strengths I listed.

Durant is clearly the #2 in the league so I do think a lot of him.  I just think LeBron is going a bit under appreciated when people are all talking Durant over him.

I didn't mean it as a negative - I was just pointing out that the bulk of his offense came from that for a chunk of his early career. Lebron going to the rim is a force, but a Lebron that's just as dangerous from the outside as he is going to the rim is unguardable. The first time Lebron went to the finals, the Spurs basically dared him to shoot and they walked away with a sweep. And is postgame has taken itself to another level as well since he got to Miami - he was still incredibly raw in the post before his arrival there.

I wasn't trying to undermine any of Lebron's offensive ability, just trying to point out that it took him time to get it to the level it is now, I think Durant can have that sort of progression on the defensive end.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 06:14:59 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Eventually about three NBA titles ...or more ...if not in OKC .......somewhere......hopefully not LA

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 06:22:55 PM »

Offline kingtutts

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
Larry Bird.  I've said this since the day he was drafted.  Kevin Durant is Larry Bird 2.0.  Like Bird, KD can score from anywhere on a basketball court.  Mid range, back to basket, low post, all around the arc. Can pull up, fade away, shoot with a man in his face. 

Larry was the better passer and rebounder.  KD has much better hops and a better handle.

Thats my opinion.   

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 06:23:42 PM »

Offline Sully7

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
ceiling?  The G.O.A.T

Not sure if he'll get there but thats his potential.