Author Topic: Rudy Fernandez  (Read 10141 times)

Rudy Fernandez
« on: August 23, 2010, 12:19:55 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
who else seen him play for Spain last night and is glad we didnt pick him up? i sure am  :o
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Re: Rudy Fernandez
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 12:51:25 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
who else seen him play for Spain last night and is glad we didnt pick him up? i sure am  :o

Yeah it is like when I watch my replays on SSF4 on Xbox live not impressive @ all.

Not worth a number 1 pick that is 4 sure.  Hind sight is 20/20.
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 01:22:12 PM »

Offline Tai

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 32
 :D

So, moving onto Delonte?

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 01:37:11 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Yeah it is like when I watch my replays on SSF4 on Xbox live not impressive @ all.

Not worth a number 1 pick that is 4 sure.  Hind sight is 20/20.

So we will take one bad game in international basketball over two seasons worth of looking like a player with more potential but still playing well off the bench for Portland?  Rudy has played very well for the Spanish national team in the past.

He also was playing SF against guys like Igoudala and Durant... yeah those are not good matchups for him, and I don't think I have to explain why.

Rudy can still play.  He is worth a number 1 if we can get him.  He is not a starter, so I don't expect him to dominate Iggy or Kevin Durant... do you guys?  Maybe you have completely unrealistic expectations, for Rudy and for the value of a late first rounder (because that pick, if not traded for Rudy, probably would not matchup with those players and would probably not be as good as Rudy either... JR Giddens anyone?)

BTW, here are some other stat lines from last night:

Iggy - 1-6 FG, 0-3 3pters, 4 pts
Gay - 1-3, 4 pts

So yeah, let's kick those guys out of the NBA too.  ::)

:D

So, moving onto Delonte?

If there is something we do not need it's another shooting combo guard. Especially one that is a headcase.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 01:46:45 PM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 01:38:47 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In other news, hopefully Doc is planting Rondo squarely on the bench due to the way he has looked in a couple of games this summer.  Obviously, the kid can't play.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 01:59:24 PM »

Offline Assassin70

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 164
In other news, hopefully Doc is planting Rondo squarely on the bench due to the way he has looked in a couple of games this summer.  Obviously, the kid can't play.

Dam this man is good...he beat me to my point before I could make it.

/cosign

I don't want to sound like Al Gore here flip flopping and such.  But I kinda agree with what everyone has posted here.

I see the pros and cons.

But all I see is cons right now since Portland didn't bite on the sweet deal we offered them.  ::)

What else would we have to do to get him?
"The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology."

Red Auerbach

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 02:07:26 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/backpage/knicks_target_fernandez_refuses_BQhPLfn4mLzA8F9FXrjyyJ

...well, we know Rudy won't be coming back to the Blazers, however the whole drama with him not wanting to play back-up to Brandon Roy seems sort of 'Allen Iverson'-ish, if that makes any sense.

However, in A.I.'s case he claims that the Pistons mislead him about his role on the team (which is true), and Iverson never walked away from a multi-year contract because of his apparent selfishness  ::)

If I had to chose between Iverson and Rudy to play for the Celtics this up-coming season, I'd definitely pick Allen Iverson. Iverson has done way more for the league and can actually warrant being upset at not being able to start on a legitimate team at this point in his career. He has led the league in scoring multiple times, and has good enough stats to do the equivalent of dropping a weight class and playing point guard like he has done in the All-Star game (he has also won All-Star MVP twice). Even AI has stated multiple times that he would be willing to do what's best for the team, even if it included coming off of the bench.
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 02:49:38 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/backpage/knicks_target_fernandez_refuses_BQhPLfn4mLzA8F9FXrjyyJ

...well, we know Rudy won't be coming back to the Blazers, however the whole drama with him not wanting to play back-up to Brandon Roy seems sort of 'Allen Iverson'-ish, if that makes any sense.

However, in A.I.'s case he claims that the Pistons mislead him about his role on the team (which is true), and Iverson never walked away from a multi-year contract because of his apparent selfishness  ::)

If I had to chose between Iverson and Rudy to play for the Celtics this up-coming season, I'd definitely pick Allen Iverson. Iverson has done way more for the league and can actually warrant being upset at not being able to start on a legitimate team at this point in his career. He has led the league in scoring multiple times, and has good enough stats to do the equivalent of dropping a weight class and playing point guard like he has done in the All-Star game (he has also won All-Star MVP twice). Even AI has stated multiple times that he would be willing to do what's best for the team, even if it included coming off of the bench.

Rudy is not Roy's backup.  I'm sure he knows he is not as good as Roy, but he is probably 3rd or 4th on the depth chart in Portland.  Their big money signing of Wes Matthews only makes that more clear.

And let's keep the AI talk in that thread, that's a dead horse that's begging to stop getting beaten.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 02:56:32 PM by Snakehead »

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 03:08:36 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
In my proffessional opinion, Rudy Fernandez is the greatest basketball player in the history of the game.

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 03:11:12 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum

Rudy is not Roy's backup.  I'm sure he knows he is not as good as Roy, but he is probably 3rd or 4th on the depth chart in Portland.  Their big money signing of Wes Matthews only makes that more clear.

And let's keep the AI talk in that thread, that's a dead horse that's begging to stop getting beaten.

I'm just quoting a line directly from the article that I linked within the post. It has nothing to do with Rudy's role on the team; however it's his attitude that is the issue. That, and the fact that he is walking away from a multi-year contract because of his 'dissatisfaction' with his perceived role on the team.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 03:17:53 PM by Witch-King »
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 03:14:04 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
In my proffessional opinion, Rudy Fernandez is the greatest basketball player in the history of the game.

Well, hopefully your fandom is validated by a first ballot selection to the hall of fame once Fernandez choses to retire. Hopefully he isn't instead remembered solely for walking-out on his team.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 03:20:40 PM by Witch-King »

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 03:14:42 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

TP for a terrific username/post combo  ;)

One international scrimmage isn't a trend, but Rudy isn't doing himself any favors if he really does want a new NBA team.

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 03:20:45 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

I'm just quoting a line directly from the article that I linked within the post. It has nothing to do with Rudy's role on the team; however it's his attitude that is the issue. That, and the fact that he is walking away from a multi-year contract because of his 'dissatisfaction' with his perceived role on the team.

Well the whole issue with Rudy's dissatisfaction is because of his role (as regards to being mostly just a shooter) and his position on the depth chart (again, not 2nd, 3rd or most likely 4th).

I will be extremely surprised if he holds out.  His recent statements about it are almost certainly because he already thought he would of been traded by Portland and has not because Portland is holding out for a better offer, and he wants to be traded and is trying to force that to happen soon.  He has no leverage really so statements like this to the public are his best method because it makes the whole thing more of a distraction.  Not saying that's a good thing, but these are the tactics here and how the "game" is played.

Cho was quoted as saying (paraphrased) "We won't make a trade just to make a trade".  Both sides are playing hardball

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 03:59:27 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
who else seen him play for Spain last night and is glad we didnt pick him up? i sure am  :o

I didn't see him play in Spain, but I saw him play in the NBA and by NBA standards, he sucks.  I was always against getting Rudy because his stint in the NBA so far has not been impressive except for the consecutive 3 pointers he made as a rookie.  Other than shooting well on occasion, his game stinks.  He can get better though, but I don't understand the excitement over getting Rudy when he hasn't done anything in the NBA.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 01:52:56 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395

Well the whole issue with Rudy's dissatisfaction is because of his role (as regards to being mostly just a shooter).

thank you for pointing this out. I was just about to post this. He wasn't necessarily looking to start over Roy but i got the sense (from his interviews at least) that he wants to be something more than a spot-up shooter for that corner 3.

- LilRip
- LilRip