Author Topic: Why the silence in cleveland?  (Read 4274 times)

Why the silence in cleveland?
« on: July 22, 2010, 10:11:50 AM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
Keep in mind, I'm a Die Hard Celtics fan. Always have been, Always will be , since growing up in Springfield,ma. Having said that, for some reason I feel really bad for the Cavs organization. I would like to see them move on from the Lebron era and still be succesful (Not at the expense of the Celtics, but i'm sure you guys know what I mean). I know it's still somewhat early in free agent season but I would've thought the cavs would've made some moves by now. Even if they totally go against my idea of bringing in quality vets becoming a "bad boy wasteland" I at least expected them to dump off players for young puppy talent.
 What do you guys think? Is this a case of Players simply not wanting anything to do with cleveland & they're losing out. Or are they just standing pat for some unknown reason. Idea of this thread came to mind because I seriously thought they would've made a run at Richard Jefferson. Now that he's back with the spurs. What are they planning?

Re: Why the silence in cleveland?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 10:36:35 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I think much of the city may have O.D.'d.  Over-overmedicated, if you will.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 12:11:49 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
The team is going to go into rebuilding mode now.  Richard Jefferson would not make this team much better.  They need to get out from under the bad desperation contracts they typically brought in around LeBron (Antawn's being the biggest).

They may be able to make a trade but no free agents are going to be lining up for Cleveland I don't think.  Gilbert did himself no favors by blasting LeBron like that after he left.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 01:17:20 PM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
After what their owner did, NOBODY wants to go to Cleavland. Heck, nobody wanted to go there WHILE they had King James, now, they are totally screwed.

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 01:46:20 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
It will take awhile.  I'm all for the owner calling out Lebron.  I would much rather watch the cavs of mark price's era, that was good team basketball.
Why the silence in Washington, there is a franchise is as bad shape.

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 01:54:40 PM »

Offline dooyork

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 42
Don't feel bad for them, they're moving on.  They've made some moves, and their new 12 man lineup is already in place.

Double rainbow all the way

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 02:48:34 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Cleveland's got to decide which way to go.  They got a helluva large trade exception and some draft picks for structuring LeBron's deal as a S&T.  They need to go one of two directions:

1. Use their handful of fairly attractive trade assets (Anderson Varejao, Anthony Parker, JJ Hickson) to help clear out the really bad contracts (Mo Williams, Boobie Gibson)

2. Use that trade exception and some of their draft picks to make a splashy trade acquisition - shoehorn into the Chris Paul discussion, or inquire about Tony Parker. 

I personally think they're best-off going the first route, accumulating trade assets, buy some first round picks, unload all contracts longer than two years however they can and ride out the next two seasons of Antwan Jamison. 

But, I can understand them taking their time.

I can't think of too many teams that would be worse fits for Richard Jefferson.  First of all, he sucks now.  Second, he needs an elite point guard to even pretend not to suck; Mo Williams is not an elite point guard.  They need to get rid of long-term contracts for mediocre players, not add more of them.

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 02:52:01 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
They’re in the weakest division in the East. I think they may surprise people.

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 03:01:33 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
They’re in the weakest division in the East. I think they may surprise people.

They don't have a real point guard.  Mo Williams should be playing off the ball (ideally a sixth man).

They don't have a center.  Shaq ain't coming back, and Big Z's in Florida.

Antwan Jamison may be better, I would assume he'll be more of a focus on offense now.  But, we saw exactly how good the Wizards were when Jamison was THEIR best player.

Their best wings are who, Anthony Parker and Jamario Moon?  I'd love Parker on our bench, but he's not a starter.  Moon's medicore at best. 

Varejao's a garbage man that's good to have on a good team but meaningless on a mediocre squad.

Are the Cavs much better than say, the Wizards were at the beginning of last year, with Jamison and Carol Butler?  Are they better than last year's Pacers team, with Danny Granger?  They sure aren't better than the Bulls, and I'd even take the (redundant, overpaid) talent of the Pistons before I took the Cleveland squad.

Cleveland has some pieces to get better in two or three years, but unless something dramatic happens, I'd be shocked if they won more than 30 games. 

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 03:08:54 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
Don't feel bad for them, they're moving on.  They've made some moves, and their new 12 man lineup is already in place.

Oh, Cleveland  ::)

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/a85200d8c2/please-stay-lebron-we-are-lebron-parody

I thought of the original 'Please Stay LeBron' video yesterday while I was watching the music video of Will Smith's 'Miami'

...lo and behold, someone has already made a parody of it, with curse-words...
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 03:49:32 PM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens
Cleveland's got to decide which way to go.  They got a helluva large trade exception and some draft picks for structuring LeBron's deal as a S&T.  They need to go one of two directions:

1. Use their handful of fairly attractive trade assets (Anderson Varejao, Anthony Parker, JJ Hickson) to help clear out the really bad contracts (Mo Williams, Boobie Gibson)

2. Use that trade exception and some of their draft picks to make a splashy trade acquisition - shoehorn into the Chris Paul discussion, or inquire about Tony Parker.  

I personally think they're best-off going the first route, accumulating trade assets, buy some first round picks, unload all contracts longer than two years however they can and ride out the next two seasons of Antwan Jamison.  

But, I can understand them taking their time.

I can't think of too many teams that would be worse fits for Richard Jefferson.  First of all, he sucks now.  Second, he needs an elite point guard to even pretend not to suck; Mo Williams is not an elite point guard.  They need to get rid of long-term contracts for mediocre players, not add more of them.

I think you're being a little harsh. Jefferson did struggle last season but by no means does he "Suck". He came to mind mostly cause he played his best ball & is familiar with the Byron scott system so I would think. At least is I were the GM of the cavs. He would've at least warranted a look. Plus he just turned 30. It's not like he's over the hill. Of course he's no lebron but again I don't think that would've been a disaster either.
 Speaking of someone mentioning the wizards. That was my original idea when Lebron left. Although many disagree. I still think (if for anything else Ticket sales) it would've been a good experiment to bring in some old vets. I'm sure with wizards hopes on wall , they're willing to part with Arenas. Gilbert has already played with Jamison. So my idea (again for a short term experiment) would be to get Arenas, Sign AI and bring in RJ. (Well I guess the RJ thing is out) but would've been an interesting squad. If nothing else it would put butts in seats next season whereas standing pat will all but guarantee the cavs will suck next year.

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 04:02:46 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
The whole "bring in a former star to put fannies in the seats" thing is WAY overrated.  How many full arenas did AI play to in Memphis last year?  Or in Detroit, during his season there?

Fans will come out for a game or two to see an "interesting" squad.  They won't come back unless there are some wins involved.

The squad you propose building around - Arenas, Iverson, and Jefferson - I'm sorry dude, but that's a terrible team.  Iverson can't get a job because he's just not very good anymore.  I can't think of two players who are LESS complementary than Arenas and Iverson - for either to be remotely effective, they both need to be dominating the ball.  Both are really undersized shooting guards who play the point almost by default.  Jefferson needs a *real* point guard (like Jason Kidd) to get him the ball.  Jefferson could probably do well on the Knicks, or with Nash in Phoenix, or even here playing alongside Rondo in the open court.  Playing with Iverson and Arenas, he'd be lucky to get ten points a game, and they would be a painful ten points to watch.

Last thing in the world Cleveland should do is make a move for Arenas.  Clean the books, make some good draft picks, and plan for a rebirth in two seasons.  

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
The whole "bring in a former star to put fannies in the seats" thing is WAY overrated.  How many full arenas did AI play to in Memphis last year?  

Actually, I think he was cut (or exiled) before Memphis even played a home game.  It was that bad.

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 04:10:17 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
Iverson's first game back in Philly, 20k+ in attendance.  They lost.

Second home game, 12k.
Third home game, 14k
Fourth home game, 13k

"Star power" is massively overrated unless the team is winning ballgames.

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 04:23:12 PM »

Offline Eric_Suede

• Brad Stevens
The whole "bring in a former star to put fannies in the seats" thing is WAY overrated.  How many full arenas did AI play to in Memphis last year?  

Actually, I think he was cut (or exiled) before Memphis even played a home game.  It was that bad.

Of all of Allen's "gaffes" as a player , I will support him with the memphis thing. I'm sorry I guess i'll have to continue to argue this point till the cows come home but even at this stage, Iverson is better than Freaking Mike Conley. To me that's like if we still had Gerald green, Expecting Ray allen to come off the bench behind green. Sure ray allen is older and on the decline but come on that's just a slap in ray's face. I think folk overrate the "potential" thing way more than they overrate "star power". Plus you never know what went on behind the scenes. From hearing Ai's point of view. He was made to believe he would be given a platform there in memphis to showcase his talent and make memphis better. So I can imagine how frustrating that would be. Ah well.
 As to your point bird, you're right , wins make the difference. however At this point in his career I'm sure AI can be had for the minimum. So by no means am I suggesting mortgaging the future. Didn't really take in consideration his contract so maybe i'll take back the Arenas thing but nonetheless what does cleveland have to look forward to for the 2010/2011 season. They're going to suck anyway. Fans know & expect them to suck, so my thing is what do you have to lose bring in someone for the vet min that you can cut if things get out of hand? Cavs need something. Again if I was GM and I look at my roster and I know losing is in my future, I'm the type that would make that run. Oh well just a sentiment, It's pretty much all about the Celtics anyhow. just feel bad for the cavs. Maybe it's just pity. my emotional side. lol  :D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 04:28:18 PM by Eric_Suede »