Author Topic: Luka Doncic Grant Hill comparison  (Read 4608 times)

Luka Doncic Grant Hill comparison
« on: January 09, 2018, 10:23:49 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Thats my comp for Luka, whats yours. Ayton is a upgraded Dwight Howard, and Bagley is actually really hard for me as far as comps. Chris Webber people were saying, no, Webber was jacked, slower, more polished, better passer.

Bagley will be really good, TPs to any good ideas for Bagley comparisons.

Re: Luka Doncic Grant Hill comparison
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 10:45:43 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Al Horford for Bagley.  Ginobli is the best I have for Doncic.

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 11:08:21 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Im going to go off beat here with Bagley. Tim Duncan. Totally different body's, But skill wise, and being fundamentally sound, on offense not defensively, Duncan was unreal at D.

Bagley is a Chris Bosh body, with Timmy like skills.

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 12:52:06 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Grant Hill was an athletic freak...
My comps are:
Doncic-poor man's Hondo
Ayton-taller and more skilled Dwight Howard with a modern game
Bamba-modern Dikembe
Bagley-KG
Porter-a bulkier Durant

Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 12:56:14 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
My comps are:
Doncic-poor man's Hondo
Bamba-modern Dikembe
Bagley-KG
Porter-a bulkier Durant

TP.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 12:59:00 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
My comps are:
Doncic-poor man's Hondo
Bamba-modern Dikembe
Bagley-KG
Porter-a bulkier Durant

TP.
Haha thanks, what are yours?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 02:10:13 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
My comps are:
Doncic-poor man's Hondo
Bamba-modern Dikembe
Bagley-KG
Porter-a bulkier Durant

So basically the greatest top of the draft ever?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 02:30:53 AM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Ayton reminds me of KAT.

Bagley is a fusion of Lamar Odom and Josh Smith.

Bamba is like Gobert with range on his jumper.

I have no clue when it comes to Doncic.  He is nowhere close to the athlete Grant Hill was.

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 03:41:00 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
My comps are:
Doncic-poor man's Hondo
Bamba-modern Dikembe
Bagley-KG
Porter-a bulkier Durant

So basically the greatest top of the draft ever?
Ah was talking about their ceilings imo
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 04:21:04 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Ayton reminds me of KAT.

Bagley is a fusion of Lamar Odom and Josh Smith.

Bamba is like Gobert with range on his jumper.

I have no clue when it comes to Doncic.  He is nowhere close to the athlete Grant Hill was.

No you're right. He's actually pretty bulky for a tallish guard. He can bang on the drive, but also show really nice feel for getting up funky shots; runners, floaters, leaners. Super high floor.

Not sure who the best comparison is...  :-\
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 05:16:28 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

No you're right. He's actually pretty bulky for a tallish guard. He can bang on the drive, but also show really nice feel for getting up funky shots; runners, floaters, leaners. Super high floor.

Grant Hill comp. is off IMO, he is closer to Penny if we are going in that direction.
There is no one quite like him, it is a very ungrateful task to compare him.

The closest one IMO is Toni Kukoč while he was playing in Europe.
Toni didn't operate as much in the PNR (there was less PNR action back then) and was a lefty. When Toni was his age he was tearing Europe apart just like Luka does now, he was also a Point forward back then in Yugoplastika and Benetton.
During Chicago years, due to triangle offense and having MJ on the team, his time with the ball in his hands diminished greatly. People in the States mostly remember Toni from his bulkier Chicago days, where they've put additional 20/25 lbs on him, and that made him basically a big and not a guard/wing.
Toni didn't put people in jail like Luka does, but Toni was great at posting up.
I guess that is the difference between the eras they played in. Luka is a PNR maestro, Toni was a post up threat (it was easy to find a mismatch for him), both are unselfish, have flair and great passing vision. Luka is more feisty, Toni was more phlegmatic (Dalmatians usually are).

Some vids for a better understanding of what I'm writing about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXoe6tHD5mE - in Yugoplastika, watch after 5:15 mark, nice dunk at 7:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NKKnsbKRJQ - Toni (Bennetton) showing us floaters vs Real (Sabonis)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V18tfKA57D0 - Benetton vs Estudiantes, playing more as a forward.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 05:39:37 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 08:45:25 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Grant Hill comp. is off IMO, he is closer to Penny if we are going in that direction.

Toni didn't operate as much in the PNR (there was less PNR action back then) and was a lefty. When Toni was his age he was tearing Europe apart just like Luka does now, he was also a Point forward back then in Yugoplastika and Benetton.
During Chicago years, due to triangle offense and having MJ on the team, his time with the ball in his hands diminished greatly. People in the States mostly remember Toni from his bulkier Chicago days, where they've put additional 20/25 lbs on him, and that made him basically a big and not a guard/wing.
Toni didn't put people in jail like Luka does, but Toni was great at posting up.
I guess that is the difference between the eras they played in. Luka is a PNR maestro, Toni was a post up threat (it was easy to find a mismatch for him), both are unselfish, have flair and great passing vision. Luka is more feisty, Toni was more phlegmatic (Dalmatians usually are).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXoe6tHD5mE - in Yugoplastika, watch after 5:15 mark, nice dunk at 7:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NKKnsbKRJQ - Toni (Bennetton) showing us floaters vs Real (Sabonis)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V18tfKA57D0 - Benetton vs Estudiantes, playing more as a forward.
Again Penny was more or less like Grant Hill in terms of athleticism and he was long, fast and explosive. Don't think Doncic comes close in those categories. Believe we had a similar conversation about the absurdity of comparing Doncic to such players too (not to say he's bad, just saying he's not going to be your long and athletic forward that can jump out of the gym while handling the ball like a PG) :laugh:. Agree with the Kukoc comps, btw anything to say about my comp of a poor man's Hondo that's less athletic?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 09:29:00 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Again Penny was more or less like Grant Hill in terms of athleticism and he was long, fast and explosive. Don't think Doncic comes close in those categories. Believe we had a similar conversation about the absurdity of comparing Doncic to such players too (not to say he's bad, just saying he's not going to be your long and athletic forward that can jump out of the gym while handling the ball like a PG) :laugh:. Agree with the Kukoc comps, btw anything to say about my comp of a poor man's Hondo that's less athletic?
I don't have that much insight on Hondo. I'm too young, I didn't have him on my NT and fewer vids are available. Surely here on CB there must be many guys/girls that saw him play many times. The question is did they watch Luka enough to make a comparison.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 10:11:08 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
What I remember most about Havlicek was his motor, just non stop all the time.  I don't recall him having the playmaking skill that Doncic has.  He was a good passer, but not elite.  Great defender.  Not seeing him as a good comp. 

Nobody likes my Ginobli comp for Doncic?

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 10:23:25 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Luka is Evan Turner with great 3 point shooting, and better court vision. Both have similar height, length and athleticism. 

Brad would love him.