Author Topic: Basketball Tryout Advice.  (Read 19879 times)

Re: Basketball Tryout Advice.
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2009, 10:39:28 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
Any of you guys who think you need to "suck up" to the coaches ever look at it from the coaches point of view?  They are looking for kids who are committed.  If a kid comes to them during the summer, and starts telling them how much they want to make the team, and listens to them about what they need to do to make it, they are certainly going to have a leg up on the kid who just shows up on the day of the tryouts.

Its much less brown nosing, and much more showing initiative.  You see the exact same thing when you are applying for jobs.  The people who get the jobs are ussually the ones who go out of the way to stand out, not by trying too hard in the interview, but by making connections outside the interview.  Showing that they care enough about the job to put the extra effort in, during the time they are not required to be there.

Going back to sports, I never played highschool basketball, but did play highschool football.  And I can tell you that the kids who played were the ones who showed up every day when they weren't required to.  Even if they weren't the most talented or strongest, if the coach saw them, and talked to them in the weightroom, all summer long, he is going to remember that.

I have a huge problem with this: Speaking from personal experience, and speaking as someone who played ball and graduated high school not too long ago, I have seen great talents get benched in favor of someone less talented because they didn't have the "in."

Sure, you'd like to have someone who is showing initiative, but there comes a point when talents over rides everything else. Yet coaches, mostly on the high school level and below, overlook this because of favoritism.

High school basketball should be like MTV's The Hills, yet from what I've seen from my high school, and from what I've seen from my other friends who played ball at different high schools, it's sadly not that different.

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2009, 10:44:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Any of you guys who think you need to "suck up" to the coaches ever look at it from the coaches point of view?  They are looking for kids who are committed.  If a kid comes to them during the summer, and starts telling them how much they want to make the team, and listens to them about what they need to do to make it, they are certainly going to have a leg up on the kid who just shows up on the day of the tryouts.

Its much less brown nosing, and much more showing initiative.  You see the exact same thing when you are applying for jobs.  The people who get the jobs are ussually the ones who go out of the way to stand out, not by trying too hard in the interview, but by making connections outside the interview.  Showing that they care enough about the job to put the extra effort in, during the time they are not required to be there.

Going back to sports, I never played highschool basketball, but did play highschool football.  And I can tell you that the kids who played were the ones who showed up every day when they weren't required to.  Even if they weren't the most talented or strongest, if the coach saw them, and talked to them in the weightroom, all summer long, he is going to remember that.

I have a huge problem with this: Speaking from personal experience, and speaking as someone who played ball and graduated high school not too long ago, I have seen great talents get benched in favor of someone less talented because they didn't have the "in."

Sure, you'd like to have someone who is showing initiative, but there comes a point when talents over rides everything else. Yet coaches, mostly on the high school level and below, overlook this because of favoritism.
Bad coaches do.

But you are right, it definitely happens and basketball isn't the only sport it happens in.

One thing you can look forward to, if you are at a school that has long term success and coaching stability, those coaches will not be one of those coaches. Hope that helps.

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2009, 11:25:39 PM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78

High school basketball should be like MTV's The Hills, yet from what I've seen from my high school, and from what I've seen from my other friends who played ball at different high schools, it's sadly not that different.

As a coach myself, I disagree with this.  Coaches in general are very competitive by nature, and would like to win as many games as they can.  Schools can say all they want it is about developing character, etc. but show me a coach who can't win, and I'll show you a coach who is out of a job.  Given that, I for one cannot comprehend cutting a clearly better player for one who either "sucked up" or showed initiative, however you want to put it.  I want to assemble the most talented team, period.

I think the discrepancy often lies in whose opinion is the cut player more talented.  The one who is cut may think that, or people close to him, or think the person who made it over them did so because of other reasons than talent.  However, the coach may in fact think the player he kept is more talented.  Where showing initiative, commitment, etc. really come into play is when the talent level is really, really close, and you are talking about the 9-12th spot on the team.  In that case, a coach will often keep the better kid, the better fit, maybe even a kid who will be okay with not playing a ton, vs. a kid who may be marginally more talented, but probably not enough to play much, but thinks he should be.

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2009, 06:35:11 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
agree with the last post, you don't want a 10th man who thinks he's better than the starters (but isn't) and just whines on the bench all season - much better to have a lesser talent who accepts his role and understands what it means to be a good teammate
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2009, 07:35:50 AM »

Offline Coach

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 109
Marketing.....

Does the coach know you?  If he does, then make sure he know how much you want to make the team.  A quick well placed, "Hey Coach, worked really hard on my game this summer, I'm really hopeful of makeing this team. Take an extra look at my defense, I've worked on improving my lateral movement..."  Something to this effect. Make sure you stress something that coach would like to hear.  Usually it's defense, but if you have a rep for being a poor shooter, empasize that you took 500 shots a day.

If the coach doesn't know you, not a bad idea to, after practice, say hello, tell him who you are, your experience, what you do well, how you feel that you can help the team, and make sure you let him know that your number one goal is to make the team.  If you are having a good conversation with him, also ask him what are you looking for in a rookie player, and then let him know that you can do what ever he asks.  You could also add that if it is a decision between you and another player, you can guarantee him that your attitude and hustle will be 110% all year long.

As a coach, when you walk into a gym with 50 players, it's hard to pick out the bottom 4 guys of a team.  This approach will get you a fair look.  It will ensure that you won't fall between the cracks.  And it works 1000% better then having your Mom or Dad come and whine for you.  That is almost a sure way to get cut in my program.  I want motivated players, not motivated parents....

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
Got 'em again tonight. Last night for tryouts, and I find out what team I'm on tonight. Anymore advice? Quick little bit about me. I'm about 5'11" 145ish, I can play the 1,2,3,4 but I'm most effective at the two. Good shooter and ball handler and all I need is to see the rim for a split second to get a shot down.

Strengths:
Shooting
Ball Handling
Creating My own shot
Weaknesses:
Rebounding
Not the most athletic guy around.
Weight.

any more advice?

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2009, 04:21:20 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Got 'em again tonight. Last night for tryouts, and I find out what team I'm on tonight. Anymore advice? Quick little bit about me. I'm about 5'11" 145ish, I can play the 1,2,3,4 but I'm most effective at the two. Good shooter and ball handler and all I need is to see the rim for a split second to get a shot down.

Strengths:
Shooting
Ball Handling
Creating My own shot
Weaknesses:
Rebounding
Weight.

any more advice?
Find the best kid at the try out and lock him down. If he is a wing player, deny him the ball at all times. If he does get the ball get down in a defensive stance and get under him. Don't be afraid to take a charge if someone else on your team gets beat. I made a lot of teams doing this.

Normally on a team you want to be unselfish. In tryouts make sure you take shots, if you are too unselfish they won't be able to see what you can do.

My all time favorite move at a tryout was to expect every shot I took to go in. If I would miss a shot, I might yell something this gives the coach the impression that you are used to every shot you take going in.

Just play ball. I don't know about all those politic things, some might be true. Most politicing can not be helped either way, so just play basketball and let the chips fall where they may.

DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2009, 05:03:40 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Coaches always like a good leader on the floor, so dont be shy on the court.  Look like KG and always be yelling out on the floor.  Calling out your man, the "I got it", and also communicate for your teammates, whatever it's necessary.  Basketball is a team sport that relies a lot of communication and whether you are the best player or not, if you are communicating and placing your teammates in the places they need to be, coaches will take attention.

Also, before practice (I am assuming that you have one hour from class until practice) I strongly advice hitting the weight room.  It'll help with your game and the coach will see that you are working hard instead of hanging around and trying to pick up chicks.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2009, 05:13:28 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Strengths:
Shooting
Ball Handling
Creating My own shot
Weaknesses:
Rebounding
Weight.

any more advice?
Find the best kid at the try out and lock him down. If he is a wing player, deny him the ball at all times. If he does get the ball get down in a defensive stance and get under him. Don't be afraid to take a charge if someone else on your team gets beat. I made a lot of teams doing this.

Yup, find the best kid at the try out and knock him down. That's how you make your place on the foodchain man. Beat him up with your lunch tray.

No wait....that's a scene from the movie Face-Off.

Thats a good movie.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2009, 05:20:19 PM »

• Bill Walton
  • Smooth As Silk.
Coaches always like a good leader on the floor, so dont be shy on the court.  Look like KG and always be yelling out on the floor.  Calling out your man, the "I got it", and also communicate for your teammates, whatever it's necessary.  Basketball is a team sport that relies a lot of communication and whether you are the best player or not, if you are communicating and placing your teammates in the places they need to be, coaches will take attention.

Also, before practice (I am assuming that you have one hour from class until practice) I strongly advice hitting the weight room.  It'll help with your game and the coach will see that you are working hard instead of hanging around and trying to pick up chicks.

Oh yeah, that's my thing. I don't shut up on the court. I even annoy myself. No lie, I get TOO carried away.

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2009, 05:53:51 PM »

Offline huzy

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 82
  • We not Me
« Reply #30 on: Yesterday at 10:39:28 pm » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Chris on Yesterday at 08:48:10 pm

Sour grapes.

I don't mean to bust chops, but I know too many guys that were CYO all stars but just not high school material and now are throwing elbows in house leagues saying "It's all about politics."

Politics is the tip of the iceberg. The rest is about skill, attitude, and BBall IQ. Anyone who's cut from a team (in a vast majority of cases) is cut for a reason.

The worst thing you can say to a young kid going into a tryout is kiss up.

The only conversation you should have with the coach is what you can improve on if you're cut.

Otherwise, let your game do the talking and the pieces will fall into place. 

"      “I can make a trade every day if I want to, but that's not going to help us. A trade that would get us better rarely comes along. They're very difficult to find. Good trades are very difficult in our league and don't happen very often.”
-Danny Ainge

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2009, 08:06:07 PM »

• Bill Walton
  • Smooth As Silk.
I made it. Thanks guys..

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2009, 08:17:20 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Congrats TP

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2009, 08:37:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I made it. Thanks guys..
JV or freshman? TP though, great work.

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2009, 08:48:34 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I made it. Thanks guys..

TP.  But I expect you to get your homework done. Someday I'll be old and I'll need you to invent affordable meds and HD Satelite internet video games for me