Author Topic: Basketball Tryout Advice.  (Read 19974 times)

Re: Basketball Tryout Advice.
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 08:48:10 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Any of you guys who think you need to "suck up" to the coaches ever look at it from the coaches point of view?  They are looking for kids who are committed.  If a kid comes to them during the summer, and starts telling them how much they want to make the team, and listens to them about what they need to do to make it, they are certainly going to have a leg up on the kid who just shows up on the day of the tryouts.

Its much less brown nosing, and much more showing initiative.  You see the exact same thing when you are applying for jobs.  The people who get the jobs are ussually the ones who go out of the way to stand out, not by trying too hard in the interview, but by making connections outside the interview.  Showing that they care enough about the job to put the extra effort in, during the time they are not required to be there.

Going back to sports, I never played highschool basketball, but did play highschool football.  And I can tell you that the kids who played were the ones who showed up every day when they weren't required to.  Even if they weren't the most talented or strongest, if the coach saw them, and talked to them in the weightroom, all summer long, he is going to remember that.

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 08:49:36 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
Thanks for the advice guys. TP's for you all. I'm pretty sure I have JV on lock, but I'm getting screwed out of varsity.

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 08:52:03 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
no matter what happens remember that academics is more important. And some of the same things that help in one area will help in the other. A good night's sleep. Healthy food.

In terms of basketball I myself became much better when I did some simple reading on the net about basics. Playing defense not giving up the baseline. Keeping your man in front of you as much as possible. Getting a hand in their face.

On offense knowing your range and limitations. Passing to open men. Catching the ball with both hands.

Maybe you're beyond that or thought you knew it, but so many people don't do it and it matters.

Your brain is your biggest weapon, but your muscles are next. If you dribble in front of a mirror or work on rebounding off the board to get your timing you will be better. Maybe even quickly

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 09:14:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't know if you have played for your middle school of for the local CYO or youth leagues, but if you haven't, chances of making the JV will be pretty tough unless you are a special talent.

You see, most varsity and junior varsity coaches keep track of the kids coming through the system and, especially if they have been in their jobs for a while, they have communications with the youth leagues, AAU teams, CYO teams, middle school teams and just about any other team a local kid might play for.

Because of this most coaches looking at incoming freshmen already have scouting reports on kids and know who the better and special talent kids are. Chances are if you have played on any of these teams and are very good, the coaches already know who you are. If this is your first shot at organized basketball, there's little to no chance of you making the JV or varsity unless you are some phenomenal schoolyard talent that happens to have an unbelievable understanding of the game at a young age.

Sorry, that's just the way it works.

Now, if you want to make any team, it's real easy if you want to impress the coaches. Win every drill you can doing it flawlessly, don't cheat it. Run as fast as you can always. Always be moving. Always have you hands up and moving on defense and shuffle your feet on defense don't cross them. Communicate. Warn of picks, switches, call for rebounds, call for the outlets, call for the ball on breaks. Box out. Play smart and within yourself. Layup with your left hand from the left side and with your right hand from the right side. Hit your shots. Show no attitude and always do exactly what the coaches tell you to do, not what you think you should do or what you think they want you to do but exactly what they say to do.

Do all that and you stand a good chance of making a team. Your individual talent, athleticism and game knowledge will determine which team.

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2009, 09:19:14 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I'm a coach who's run tryouts and unfortunately had to cut kids. Here's my list:

-Move without the ball (V-Cut, Flex Curl) Stay active without the ball. Never stand still. Good things ALWAYS happen. Think Rip Hamilton.

-Box out, box out, box out! The smaller you are the better. This is what 8 out of 10 kids won't do. I Can't say it enough BOX OUT

-Set screens off the ball. The guys on your team will appreciate it and the coaches will see you understand the game.

-If you're big, set ball screens and roll. If you're small, find a big and set up a pick and roll. It will benefit you both greatly.

-Finally, don't rush on offense. Play agressive but not too fast. If you're a player, you'll understand this.

Have fun and good luck!

Good list.

I would add that if you're big, the further away you are from the paint, the closer you are to the bench.

I agree. If things are not going your way offensively during tryouts; do the little things. Rebounds are just as important as points.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 09:19:46 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
one thing I hate the varsity coach I work under always says:

MJ got cut in high school, I never want to cut a kid without really giving them a chance (thus I get to keep 15 kids)

Reality is, MJ didn't make varsity as a SOPHOMORE, he still played JV and scored a ton of points.  It is the stupidest exaggeration of a story I have ever heard.  You accept your role and you prove what you can do; if the coach really made a mistake it will surely show, but don't say you got cut. For our coach to say MJ got cut, he's implying he didn't make any team, which he actually did do.
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 09:20:13 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Confidence...you are probably in the tryout right now but just be confident in everything you do.. youll get on the team

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

Do all that and you stand a good chance of making a team. Your individual talent, athleticism and game knowledge will determine which team.

and if you can do all Nick said, continue it once you make the team - if you bust your butt to make the team then get content, it's gonna be a long season

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 09:27:57 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
no matter what happens remember that academics is more important.

that is the best advice I have heard today TP!

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2009, 09:31:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Yeah, remember this, organized sports at the high school level is a means to an education at a higher level. 99.9999999999999% of the time it is not a means to a professional career playing a sport. Use the sports to keep yourself in excellent physical condition, to have fun and to get into a college and maybe even get a scholarship. But stay grounded and remember that's all sports should and will be. Chances are, you are not that special an athlete. So stay grounded and remember what the real goals should be....the best education you can get.

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2009, 09:32:38 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
one thing I hate the varsity coach I work under always says:

MJ got cut in high school, I never want to cut a kid without really giving them a chance (thus I get to keep 15 kids)

Reality is, MJ didn't make varsity as a SOPHOMORE, he still played JV and scored a ton of points.  It is the stupidest exaggeration of a story I have ever heard.  You accept your role and you prove what you can do; if the coach really made a mistake it will surely show, but don't say you got cut. For our coach to say MJ got cut, he's implying he didn't make any team, which he actually did do.
Completely agreed. It's an urban legend of some sort now as though MJ didn't actually go through the stages of development with other kids, but rather went to the Fortress of Solitude for 10 months and emerged as the basketball Superman.

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2009, 09:37:43 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Yeah, remember this, organized sports at the high school level is a means to an education at a higher level. 99.9999999999999% of the time it is not a means to a professional career playing a sport. Use the sports to keep yourself in excellent physical condition, to have fun and to get into a college and maybe even get a scholarship. But stay grounded and remember that's all sports should and will be. Chances are, you are not that special an athlete. So stay grounded and remember what the real goals should be....the best education you can get.
If you want to tick off some high school kids tell them the truth and say "You're odds of becoming a pro athlete in any sport are worse than your odds of being hit by lightning....a lot worse".

In the inner city they substitute the phrase "major rapper" for "pro athlete". 

Technically I'm not sure if my math is on, but the concept is. 

This instantly leads to "You're a doubter and a hater", which leads to "You need to develop your whole person and realize that if everyone who wanted to be a rapper or pro athlete and had talent became one then everyone you meet would be one, but almost no one you meet is one"

Then the kid has a choice to make about life

It's just one of those things

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker

If you want to tick off some high school kids tell them the truth and say "You're odds of becoming a pro athlete in any sport are worse than your odds of being hit by lightning....a lot worse".

In the inner city they substitute the phrase "major rapper" for "pro athlete". 

Technically I'm not sure if my math is on, but the concept is. 

This instantly leads to "You're a doubter and a hater", which leads to "You need to develop your whole person and realize that if everyone who wanted to be a rapper or pro athlete and had talent became one then everyone you meet would be one, but almost no one you meet is one"

Then the kid has a choice to make about life

It's just one of those things

I've done the math, it's not good...

350 Million people in the US

30 NBA teams, 15 roster spots

1 in every 777,777 people...adjust for people of the NBA age range and your odds get even worse

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2009, 10:25:45 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Wish you the best, Toppersbsktball1.

Everyone here gave you great advice. Follow this, and I see no reason why you won't succeed.

I myself didn't play basketball in High School, but I played on my community center's basketball team as a 6'3" center, and I played for two of my commands while I was in the Navy.

The reason why I always had a spot and started most of the time was DEFENSE. I am not the greatest shooter to this day, but I was respected as a shotblocker and shot changer.

Don't be afraid to play defense. It's not the prettiest or most glamorous thing to do, but it got me noticed over many others.

Again wish you the best!

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2009, 10:31:32 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I came from one of the better teams in Florida William T. Dwyer. All i know is I sucked at Defense before I got there and was just a catch a shoot guy. One thing that will impress coaches anywhere you go is your Defense, and footwork. Of course all of the things of being able to run all the time and everything. Also it shows that you wanna prove a point by going out to the J.V. Teams as a freshmen. But I would say work as hard as you can on defense and bring intensity. Show that you can be a leader, and give it everything you got. You will be fine! Make sure you let us know what happens and good luck. Stay healthy.