Author Topic: Semi Ojeleye  (Read 1695 times)

Semi Ojeleye
« on: May 25, 2019, 02:52:26 PM »

Offline Never Nervous Pervis

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
I thought Semi was an improved player this year. Better shooter, more confident with the ball, and stronger physically. Unfortunately, with all the talent on the roster, his minutes decreased. And I think that hurt the team, because you need role players who complement your stars. You also need unselfish guys who won't pout when their minutes fluctuate.

As we consolidate the roster this summer,  I hope there's a place for Semi in the rotation next year. He may not be a Giannis stopper, but I see him in a James Posey role moving forward, quick enough to guard wings and physical enough to defend 4s in the paint, can knock down open 3s, and who will keep the ball moving from side to side on the perimeter.

Re: Semi Ojeleye
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 04:46:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Semi has proven to be a keeper on his rookie contract. He improved a bunch last year and showed a lot. He is excellent as a just outside the rotation type player right now, but could possibly improve to get to be a 9th or 10 man and get those type of minutes next year.

Sadly, I have given up on Yabusele. The team needs to move on from him.

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 05:14:40 PM »

• Sam Hauser
I think Semi has proven to be a keeper on his rookie contract. He improved a bunch last year and showed a lot. He is excellent as a just outside the rotation type player right now, but could possibly improve to get to be a 9th or 10 man and get those type of minutes next year.

Sadly, I have given up on Yabusele. The team needs to move on from him.

Good point about his rookie deal. If we acquire Davis, we're going to need 2-3 more Semis (and several vet minimums) to round out the roster.

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 05:29:20 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
Agreed.  Semi has made noticeable improvements from his rookie year.  3 point shooting % is still low but he's been able to knock down some mid-range jumpers and finish around the rim at times, both of which he did not do his rookie year.  Ballhandling is still very suspect but he can drive and kick. 

I'd still like him to be more physical on offense.  He avoids contact when going up with the ball near the rim.  I guess seeking contact can't really be taught and it's more of a tendency for most players, but seeing how Semi is built like a tank I wish he'd just bulldoze his way to the rim.  He has no trouble being physical defensively.

Solid 2nd round pick by Danny.  I hope we keep him around... unless New Orleans wants him of course.

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 05:46:28 PM »

• Sam Hauser
Agreed.  Semi has made noticeable improvements from his rookie year.  3 point shooting % is still low but he's been able to knock down some mid-range jumpers and finish around the rim at times, both of which he did not do his rookie year.  Ballhandling is still very suspect but he can drive and kick. 

I'd still like him to be more physical on offense.  He avoids contact when going up with the ball near the rim.  I guess seeking contact can't really be taught and it's more of a tendency for most players, but seeing how Semi is built like a tank I wish he'd just bulldoze his way to the rim.  He has no trouble being physical defensively.

Solid 2nd round pick by Danny.  I hope we keep him around... unless New Orleans wants him of course.

Yeah, I think he's too buff to ever be a good ball handler but you're right about his weak drives to the basket. He should be able to bounce off guys and still get a good attempt off (or get to the line more often).

I hope in their exit interviews Brad and Danny recommended he go easy in the weight room this summer and focus on expanding his offensive repertoire. That would be a nice development.

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 06:02:34 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I still don't understand why Semi didn't get more minutes against the Bucks. He played well in the minuscule amount of time he got. He always plays hard.

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 07:28:09 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I still don't understand why Semi didn't get more minutes against the Bucks. He played well in the minuscule amount of time he got. He always plays hard.

Gotta give them minutes to Rozier so that he won't throw a tantrum. ;)

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 10:25:30 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Personal thought: I think Semi is low-key a dude Danny and Brad plan on playing rotational minutes next year and he will be held out of trade proposals Danny floats, although he of course would trade him if it was a difference maker.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 10:40:55 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
semi should have taken the Morris minutes if danny would have done his job and traded him..  i think semi is one of the best defenders in the nba if he gets a chance to prove it

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 10:51:04 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
semi should have taken the Morris Rozier minutes if danny would have done his job and traded him..  i think semi is one of the best defenders in the nba if he gets a chance to prove it

Fixed it for you. Hayward can be the default point for 2nd unit.

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2019, 11:09:11 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
This team needs more Semi’s.

I’d be happy if he got more minutes. It would smoothen out the touches distribution while not losing anything defensively.

We really need to consolidate talent at the top though. Too many mouths to feed and not enough food to go around. If we wanted to “optimize” our talents last year, we needed touches for Kyrie, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Horford while still also giving a few shot attempts to our other players like Baynes, Smart, Rozier, and Morris. In retrospect, that was a fairly impossible task without more than a couple of people taking a step back (in fairness to GH, he really swallowed his role)
- LilRip

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 02:18:37 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Semi lacks length  his wingspan is just average .This limits him in my opinion.

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 10:15:23 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I think people are worrying too much about Semi. He's a fringe player at best right now. A useful defensive sub off the bench, but he doesn't do enough of anything else to deserve regular playing time. It really doesn't matter all that much whether he stays or goes, it won't have a significant effect on the quality of next year's team. He's still young, and if he develops a three point shot that would change things, but given how he shot he three last year and his poor free throw percentage I don't see any reason to think he will be able to that.

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 10:00:49 AM »

Offline maklin

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
just a thought... maybe he's been held out of games cause Danny wants to keep his value down, so he can re-sign him for a lower price later on? :D
Disappointment is anger for wimps.

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 10:19:53 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
If he can pick up just a little bit on his shooting, rebounding, and passing... you have PJ Tucker.

He doesnt need the ball.

Will just need a decent year next year and we should give him 3 and 12 mill, maybe 15mill.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.