Author Topic: Best Bet is for 2015  (Read 513 times)

Best Bet is for 2015
« on: July 14, 2014, 06:13:02 PM »

Offline TeamGreen.dm

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 9
  • here comes Banner 18
I keep reading that our best bet is now to wait until 2015 off season to make the "fireworks" free agency splash. We will apparently have 33 million off the books. My question is what free agent have we ever landed? Big stars don't seem to come to Boston via free agency. And who would we be waiting for? I thought this year was the big year for free agency. Although I'm optimistic with the direction we are moving towards but I don't see the big deal with waiting until 2015.
"I am not going to back down from any challenge. Like I said, you are going to have to prove to me. I am a fighter; I will keep fighting and will never give up." Marcus Smart

Re: Best Bet is for 2015
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 06:31:48 PM »

Offline TBreezy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
I suggest you make a list, by year, of big time free agents and  see where they land.  No they don't land in boston often, but there really aren't that many big time free agents that don't sign with either their current team.  Sure Miami signed Bosh/James - atypical.

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 09:15:19 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Let's see, what were the last 6 or 7 KEY Celtics that were pivotal in winning championships, I mean really important players:

Rondo, Pierce, Garnett, Allen, Parish, Bird, McHale, DJ....

None were free agents.

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We ain't getting one unless someone wants to be the man here because no one ever signs here.  We are going to be bad again next year and RR may be leaving that always draws people in, I forgot, NOT!

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 09:31:32 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The best bet for 2015 is probably to do a mid-season trade for a star on an expiring contract with the hopes of being able to convince him to stay in Boston.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference