Author Topic: Ray Rice  (Read 70480 times)

Re: Ray Rice
« Reply #240 on: September 11, 2014, 10:59:10 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Now NOW (national organization for women) is calling for resignation of the commissioner over this lol.  Laughable.  Just laughable.  This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time.  I can't believe this is happening.  Again, this has gotten way overblown.  I know feminists would be all over this. 

By the way, where was NOW and the outrage of the public when Solange was beating Jay Z senselessly in the elevator and J just stood there and took it?

Why are they treating Goodell like he's the one who put his hands on this girl?  Un-****ing-believable.

Something's laughable, all right.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #241 on: September 11, 2014, 11:00:25 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Now NOW (national organization for women) is calling for resignation of the commissioner over this lol.  Laughable.  Just laughable.  This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time.  I can't believe this is happening.  Again, this has gotten way overblown.  I know feminists would be all over this. 

By the way, where was NOW and the outrage of the public when Solange was beating Jay Z senselessly in the elevator and J just stood there and took it?

Why are they treating Goodell like he's the one who put his hands on this girl?  Un-****ing-believable.

I absolutely loved Stephen A Smith's meltdown over the pathetic national organization for far-left "women" commentary. 

A vile racist sexist like jz is apparently a true role model to the NBA....But hardly seems applicable here.

« Reply #242 on: September 11, 2014, 11:03:06 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

A vile racist sexist like jz is apparently a true role model to the NBA....But hardly seems applicable here.
I'm always amazed at how you insert your own axes to grind in every situation. Jay-z and the NBA have what to do with this situation?

I mean if you want to have a broader conversation about domestic violence including how the NBA handles it I get that, but that's clearly not what you're going for.

SAS's meltdown was as cringe worthy as his provocation comments.

« Reply #243 on: September 11, 2014, 11:04:54 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
I stand corrected: the most laughable thing in this thread is the idea that NOW is 'far-left.'

However, Jay-Z and the NBA have exactly nothing to do with this, beyond providing a nice exampel for anyone who wants to falsely assert some kind of moral equivalence. I'm impressed anyone has the energy to keep the blinders up in order to make this sort of false balance make sense.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #244 on: September 11, 2014, 11:06:58 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I stand corrected: the most laughable thing in this thread is the idea that NOW is 'far-left.'
The aggregate political views of women is pretty left on the American "Left/Right" perspective.

Not that NOW speaks for all women.

« Reply #245 on: September 11, 2014, 11:30:38 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Deadspin has been killing it throughout this whole story.  Another great read this morning by Drew Magery.

Apologies for the expletive in the link/headline but that's of Deadspin's doing, not mine.

http://deadspin.com/hey-roger-get-the-****-out-1633264122

EDIT:  Link doesn't work because of filter so here's the piece.  Warning on the expletives.

So, this is all fairly simple now. Thanks to an AP report that contradicted every Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ty, lawyered-up statement that he made on national TV this week, Roger Goodell is a proven liar. No one in the NFL saw the Ray Rice elevator tape? LIE. Couldn't legally obtain the tape? LIE. Didn't know what was on the tape? LIE LIE LIE BIG Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ING LIE. He's a liar, but also so much more! He's an autocrat, a bully, an enabler, a stooge, an egomaniac, and a corrupt loon. And he needs to be fired.

I say all this while remaining fully aware that NFL owners are now clearly determined to keep Goodell around and shove out some poor underling to take the blame. They'll still make a mint in the process. But they would also make the same amount of money if they fired Goodell and hired this iron.

That's one strong iron. Ever negotiate with an iron? The iron isn't Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing around. Literally ANYONE can helm the NFL at this point and not Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. up because professional football is so popular, regardless of how unpopular its leadership may be. So why would you keep a proven liar and Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.bag in charge? New Bills owner Terry Pegula is gonna need a new stadium. Does he really want to trot out Roger Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing Goodell to help close that deal? Politicians are the scum of the earth, but they know when a guy is radioactive. What London collective is gonna want to bring the NFL abroad with the Ginger Hammer as its champion? Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. that. No way. And who wants this Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. hugging them at the draft? Get the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. away from me, Roger.

Goodell's credibility is shot, particularly with women. And while the NFL is a male-driven business to the extreme, sometimes the ol' boys network has to deal with pesky network and sponsor execs and civil servants, many of whom happen to be women. Goodell used to be able to use the league's mass popularity to run those people over and get whatever the league wanted. The NFL got paid for the privilege of pushing everyone around. No more. That's done. There's no good reason to keep him around now, except out of pure self-righteousness, which is about the only thing the NFL excels at these days. One owner told Peter King that Goodell has been great for the game of football. Oh, really? Under his leadership, people have begun to openly question if football should even Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing exist. How is that good again? Listen to this delusional idiot:

People expect a lot from the NFL. We accept that. We embrace that. That's our opportunity to make a difference not just in the NFL, but in society in general. We have that ability. We have that influence.

I mean, that's nuts. You run a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing football league. Not a nation. This commissioner is deluded and determined to overextend himself, and to what end?

Look, he may stick around. All the NFL stooges, all the Very Serious People who were so upset yesterday because Daddy came up drunk and p---ed himself in the living room, are happy now because Uncle Bob is coming in to make everything OK. Robert Mueller may be a crypto-fascist and an incompetent—just ask Stephen Hatfill, the suspect in the 2001 anthrax mailings whom Mueller didn't bother to clear for two years after the FBI had already deemed him innocent—but all the right people are going to line up and talk up his good intentions and credibility until they're settled fact. There's pretty much nothing a sufficiently powerful person can do to get right-thinking people to treat him with the contempt he deserves, which is exactly what Goodell is going to benefit from. Read Peter King's column today. You can see exactly how the NFL is going to unEdited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. the pooch. The next volley of stories will be about the brave appointment of a serious-minded "independent" investigator, leading inexorably to next week's conventional wisdom that Goodell's Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.-up here was an aberration in an otherwise distinguished career marked only by square-jawed statecraft.

But Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. that. Things can change. One—one—reporter can explain exactly how the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. it is that league sources told him or her what was on that tape months ago, or one owner's wife can be like, "How can you keep that Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. around?" and suddenly phone calls are made. The dam breaks, just as it did yesterday afternoon when the AP took a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. in Roger Goodell's mouth. He is a millstone around the NFL's neck—a DISTRACTION, even—and the sooner he's gone, the better. Fire that Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline..

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #246 on: September 11, 2014, 11:46:45 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Edit: Here is the 538 article they cite, I haven't read it yet myself doing so now as those percentages sound vague. Not sure what they mean exactly.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nfl-domestic-violence-policy-suspensions/

Relative to males 25-29 in general.  The gist is that NFL arrests are high-profile but the rate of arrest is actually lower than young men as a whole - only about half as often as normal young men get arrested for DV.  Not sure why NOW would cite that unless they wildly misinterpreted it, like that 55% of NFL players get arrested for DV.

And it's made up of "women", so I guess artificial vaginas or something?

« Reply #247 on: September 11, 2014, 11:56:47 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
From that 538 Article:

“We can’t just make up the discipline,” Goodell said at a press conference after issuing Rice’s suspension. “It has to be consistent with other cases and it was consistent with other cases.”

« Reply #248 on: September 11, 2014, 12:36:16 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Relative to males 25-29 in general.  The gist is that NFL arrests are high-profile but the rate of arrest is actually lower than young men as a whole - only about half as often as normal young men get arrested for DV.  Not sure why NOW would cite that unless they wildly misinterpreted it, like that 55% of NFL players get arrested for DV

Money and star treatment can reduce arrests.   Women won't leave the provider of an NFL lifestyles perhaps.

I think the NFL blew it.   I think Ray Rice is a bully and I think the NFL would survive without female fans.   Imagine watching the games without stupid questions....

« Reply #249 on: September 11, 2014, 12:36:53 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Relative to males 25-29 in general.  The gist is that NFL arrests are high-profile but the rate of arrest is actually lower than young men as a whole - only about half as often as normal young men get arrested for DV.  Not sure why NOW would cite that unless they wildly misinterpreted it, like that 55% of NFL players get arrested for DV

Money and star treatment can reduce arrests.   Women won't leave the provider of an NFL lifestyles perhaps.

I think the NFL blew it.   I think Ray Rice is a bully and I think the NFL would survive without female fans.   Imagine watching the games without stupid questions....

« Reply #250 on: September 11, 2014, 12:46:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

women leave professional athletes all the time.  Whether they are abusive or not.  So I don't really buy that statement.

I mean it is quite possible that this is the only time Rice has even been physical with Mrs. Rice.  People make mistakes, especially when alcohol is involved, so I'm not going to make broad generalizations about the particular facts here or in general since each situation is different.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #251 on: September 11, 2014, 12:49:07 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

I'm always amazed at how you insert your own axes to grind in every situation. Jay-z and the NBA have what to do with this situation?

I mean if you want to have a broader conversation about domestic violence including how the NBA handles it I get that, but that's clearly not what you're going for.

SAS's meltdown was as cringe worthy as his provocation comments.

Cringe-worthy in what capacity?   His meltdown was spot-on.   What are we talking about here where Rice's transgressions are concerned?  1/10th of 1 percent of NFL players....Or less?  If the NFL's players were a microcosm of society as a whole....Our society would be far better off than we are now.  So pathetic sharptonesque charleton fringe shakedown artist organizations like NOW want to stereotype the entire NFL in their incessent need for attention and to shake down the NFL?   Goodell should tell NOW to shove their ignorance and greediness where the sun doesn't shine. (Make no mistake...Where the race-baiters and NOW are concerned....The only agenda is strictly about agitating to shake people down)   

Goodell obviously lied about the elevator tape.  Obviously.  His declaring that he botched it the first time and declaring the new policy moving forward should've been all that needed to be said.  He's chasing his own tail right now and using Rice as a skapegoat with this new ruling that reeks of double-jeapordy.  Goodell has been so savvy in his past judgements that it is truly amazing to see him look so inept trying to cover for his lies.

In that capacity...Goodell looks no less sleazy than Stern and overt superstar officiating or selig...Who profited more from the steroid era than any player and now is righteously indignant about the era that made him unimaginably wealthy. 

Should Goodell resign?  That's pretty much up to the owners.  Based on the numbers....I doubt he's going anywhere.   Goodell has done everything right up to this.  The numbers reflect that.

« Reply #252 on: September 11, 2014, 12:56:09 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Should Goodell resign?  That's pretty much up to the owners.  Based on the numbers....I doubt he's going anywhere.   Goodell has done everything right up to this.  The numbers reflect that.

Yeah that's actually the opposite of true from any position or viewpoint that's even marginally tethered to reality.

« Reply #253 on: September 11, 2014, 12:59:15 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Should Goodell resign?  That's pretty much up to the owners.  Based on the numbers....I doubt he's going anywhere.   Goodell has done everything right up to this.  The numbers reflect that.

Yeah that's actually the opposite of true from any position or viewpoint that's even marginally tethered to reality.

Bountygate for one.  The whole concussion issue as another. 

From a pure numbers standpoint, the league has done amazing under his tenure.  He's made a lot of people very, very wealthy.

But in regards to dealing with league issues and off the field stuff, its been almost one abomination after another from this guy.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #254 on: September 11, 2014, 01:07:06 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Bountygate for one.  The whole concussion issue as another. 

From a pure numbers standpoint, the league has done amazing under his tenure.  He's made a lot of people very, very wealthy.

But in regards to dealing with league issues and off the field stuff, its been almost one abomination after another from this guy.
Pretty much, plus repeated lies about the video and constantly chasing public reaction on this issue.

Because I don't believe Goodell's statements about not having/seeing the tape at all. You don't have Peter King and multiple other reporters getting that fact wrong and not correct the issue when it happens. Then the AP's sources blow more holes into his lies.