Author Topic: 2017-2018 Red Sox Offseason & Free Agency Thread  (Read 36771 times)

Re: 2017-2018 Red Sox Offseason & Free Agency Thread
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2018, 07:53:10 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
So if things go well it’s a 2 year, $50 million deal. That’s fair enough.

But therein is the rub. If he does great after two years, then the Sox either pay a lot more of lose him. And if he absolutely is miserable or mediocre, then they are stuck with him for another two years.

Yeah, but is that bad, considering the alternatives?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2018, 08:49:24 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
So our lineup could look something like:

1. Betts
2. Benintendi
3. Nunez/Pedroia
4. JDM
5. Hanley/Moreland
6. Bogaerts
7. Devers
8. Vazquez
9. JBJ

I don't know about you guys, but that lineup has me feeling real good  ;D

Certainly looks so much better with JDM in there. I think a lot of guys last year underwhelmed as well (including Betts, Hanley), so hopefully they can have a better year, which would also be nice. We still won 93 games and won AL East last year with a ton of guys underwhelming and with some big injuries (Price, Wright, ERod, Pedroia, Thornburg, Carson Smith, etc.) and having a hole at 3B for a while (Sandoval - yuck)

Even if JDM takes a step back (I don't expect he hits 45 HR again), if he can provide us about 35 HR/100 RBI (or around that) while hitting around .280+, I'll be very happy.

He's our primary DH so he can focus even more on hitting.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2018, 09:28:04 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
I think the absence of Big Papi and any kind of suitable replacement for him was understated.  Big Papi was so good and so feared that everyone before him got better pitches to hit and he still hit despite never seeing good pitches.  Betts bogaerts beni werent ready for those worse pitches without protection last year and hanleys injury didn't help. 

Even moreso than his own offense, JD is going to bring that layer of protection again, letting our young guys see better pitches as they continue to develop.  This is why even if JD goes .280 30 100 next year but the young guys all hit better, a lot of that could be due to JD presence in the lineup.

Also not playing the field may merely allow JD to stay healthier than he has in years which could very likely allow him to flirt with 40HR again even if he doesn't reproduce last year.

2/50 is a steal IMO.

« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2018, 10:13:20 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
So our lineup could look something like:

1. Betts
2. Benintendi
3. Nunez/Pedroia
4. JDM
5. Hanley/Moreland
6. Bogaerts
7. Devers
8. Vazquez
9. JBJ

I don't know about you guys, but that lineup has me feeling real good  ;D

Certainly looks so much better with JDM in there. I think a lot of guys last year underwhelmed as well (including Betts, Hanley), so hopefully they can have a better year, which would also be nice. We still won 93 games and won AL East last year with a ton of guys underwhelming and with some big injuries (Price, Wright, ERod, Pedroia, Thornburg, Carson Smith, etc.) and having a hole at 3B for a while (Sandoval - yuck)

Even if JDM takes a step back (I don't expect he hits 45 HR again), if he can provide us about 35 HR/100 RBI (or around that) while hitting around .280+, I'll be very happy.

He's our primary DH so he can focus even more on hitting.

I think Pedroia is a 6-7 hitter at this point. The Red Sox need to figure out how to keep him upright for clutch postseason at bats. Ideally, we'd swap Devers and Pedroia in your above lineup. I also could see JDM and Hanley in the 3/4 spot. They need a big year out of both for this season to work out.

In a vacuum, the Red Sox are a really good team on paper. In the stacked AL, I think they're still behind HOU and NYY, and maybe even CLE.

Cora has a unique opportunity to motivate a group of young, talented players coming back from off years. I think its reasonable that they will respect his more relaxed demeanor vs. Farrell's approach.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:26:50 PM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2018, 10:28:11 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
So if things go well it’s a 2 year, $50 million deal. That’s fair enough.

But therein is the rub. If he does great after two years, then the Sox either pay a lot more of lose him. And if he absolutely is miserable or mediocre, then they are stuck with him for another two years.

Yeah, but is that bad, considering the alternatives?
Yep, I agree. But I have boundless energy to hope for more.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2018, 11:28:43 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
If Martinez stays healthy and produces in the neighborhood of what he's done the past couple of years, that will be awesome for this offense. And as RLewis25 stated above, his presence should have a ripple effect that will benefit those around him in the lineup.

I'm also hoping that a new manager with a new hitting coach brings a better overall approach to offense—that is, fewer ground balls, more line drives and homers.

I'm looking forward to a full year of Devers, and I'm hopeful that Betts, Bogaerts, and Bradley can take a big step forward offensively.

And, as always, hopefully Hanley stays healthy.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis