Author Topic: If PP or KG is to be traded, wouldn't it make sense to send them together to LA?  (Read 5185 times)

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Don't like it.

Odom, Billups and Butler do nothing for the team.

Jordon is overpayed C that hurts the rebuilding process.

Bledsoe is not enough of a future piece for the Celtics.

Well, it's conceivable the Clips would trade Bledsoe and Odom for Pierce. Or, Butler, Bledsoe and a 1st in 2014 for Pierce.

Perhaps this is preferred. Jordan's value has really gone down in the past couple of months.

Again, because of his position and size, Bledsoe is not the rebuilding piece the Celtics should be chasing.  An extra 1st might be nice, but it is in the range teams sometimes rather 2nd rounders.

I strongly doubt the Cs ability to get back a better piece than Bledsoe for a 3 month Pierce rental, assuming they don't take back veteran with long-term salary (i.e. Gay or the like).

Why would Pierce be a rental on a team like the Clippers? 

If a title contending team adds Pierce this season, they are going to keep him till the end of his contract.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
No interest in D.Jordan's contract on a rebuilding team. He is the type of a guy you bring in as a final piece of the puzzle but not an initial piece that you build around.

I like Eric Bledsoe but with Rondo and Bradley already here, I don't see the point.

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Don't like it.

Odom, Billups and Butler do nothing for the team.

Jordon is overpayed C that hurts the rebuilding process.

Bledsoe is not enough of a future piece for the Celtics.

Well, it's conceivable the Clips would trade Bledsoe and Odom for Pierce. Or, Butler, Bledsoe and a 1st in 2014 for Pierce.

Perhaps this is preferred. Jordan's value has really gone down in the past couple of months.

Again, because of his position and size, Bledsoe is not the rebuilding piece the Celtics should be chasing.  An extra 1st might be nice, but it is in the range teams sometimes rather 2nd rounders.

I strongly doubt the Cs ability to get back a better piece than Bledsoe for a 3 month Pierce rental, assuming they don't take back veteran with long-term salary (i.e. Gay or the like).

Why would Pierce be a rental on a team like the Clippers? 

If a title contending team adds Pierce this season, they are going to keep him till the end of his contract.

They may, they may not. Depends on how he plays, Chris Paul signing, etc. The flexibility of his deal is an asset.

I still don't think you're going to get more than one good young player or a late 1st for Pierce, and looking around at the teams he's a logical fit for, Bledsoe is arguably the best of the lot. San An and GSW are the only other two who qualify (to me) as a fit that also includes any young player worth acquiring, and I have doubts about either's willingness to give those type of pieces up. 

As I point to in my OP, I agree this is a little light. But i expect the Cs to be low-balled on both young players of any real value and / or overpaid vets between now and the trade deadline.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 12:56:03 PM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Everybody around here knows, I'm all for blowing it up, but I don't like that trade all that much.  Too much long term salary and not enough talent coming back.

If you want to trade them together how about to San An.

KG & PP for Splitter (expiring), Jackson (expiring), Diaw, Bonner, Neal (expiring)

Splitter becomes your center of the future after you re-up this summer.  Maybe we could even pry a future pick from San An or someone with a bit more value than Bonner (Leonard, Green, etc. though I don't think they do that).  Diaw and Bonner combine for about 7 million and each expire in 2014 so there is no long term commitment at all outside of a re-signed Splitter.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
dont help the Lakers at all!!!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
dont help the Lakers at all!!!!
Lakers aren't the only team in LA.....

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
And the deal with the Clippers I dont like..Bledsoe is another Bradley and Jordan isnt that good..he has his moments but should be doing alot better
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Jordan and McGee are like Tyson Chandler back in the day.

I think either would be a pretty good fit next to Rondo.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Yes, it would make sense. Bledsoe and Jordan are both very good players who are also good assets. I absolutely hate to trade Pierce and KG, but their NBA life is coming to an end and it is going to be a real bummer losing them for nothing in the near future.

I think you also package Terry and Bass for expirings and start anew next year - try to get Howard or Smith or whoever in FA. We all knew this was coming. Please, let's not kid ourselves. We aren't winning the championship this year. We might as well just rip the bandaid off.

I really do hate this. It's awful, but both guys go to a very positive situation - together. I can't think of a better way for these guys to ride off in the sunset...and soon, we will have them back to retire their numbers. Nobody can ever take away #17.

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle
If we trade PP and KG for Odom, Butler and Bledsoe, we would be VERY LUCKY if we got 2 more wins till the end of the season. Fml.

If you're so eager to blow it up, try to understand that overpaid scrubs and washups aren't going to help us.
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Didn't people think it was crazy that Jordan couldn't fetch Varejao in a trade?

Doesn't that just show how high his perceived value is and in the end couldn't that be just as important as how hood he actually is? Not too mention he would get a ton of pt with us to boost those stats

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Nope.

I have no desire to ship KG and Pierce to the Lakers.

None at all.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Nope.

None at all.

You should probably have read the OP's post. It's the Clippers, not the Lakers..and yes, that is totally different.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Nope.

None at all.

You should probably have read the OP's post. It's the Clippers, not the Lakers..and yes, that is totally different.
Hell I'd ship them both to the Lakers for Dwight Howard and wouldn't give it a second thought.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
I suspect the below is one deal that will be discussed, or at least suggested from one side, between the Celts and Clips:

A Pierce to LAC trade makes some sense for both teams, but it's tricky to get a package from them that's logical for the C's. PP for expirings and Bledsoe seems a little light (though maybe not anymore), and PP for Jordan seems too heavy from LAC's perspective, despite the fact that he and Blake sharing the floor come playoff time is problematic. 

However when you add KG, the argument becomes stronger that it'd significantly improves the Clips' championship hopes. And considering the fact that you'd be trading these two greats together to an excellent competitive and personal situation (based on each's immediate relationship to the LA area), wouldn't it make some sense for both sides?

I struggle with the idea of trading KG more than any player on the Cs roster, but I believe he'd retire if the Cs 'blow it up' anyway. The Cs will also save face with FAs across the league for the positive situation they found for these two teammates under tough circumstaces.

So questions for the board:

1) Would KG waive his 'no-trade' to go with PP to LAC to join CP3, Griffin, and a nice cast of role players?
2) Would you accept a package of Jordan, Bledsoe, and expirings for the two of them?

The deal I believe would makes sense also includes Terry. See below:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=aoywmzw

I'd expect Billups and / or Odom to be waived after the trade.

You have to send Rondo and half team in order to keeep PP and KG