Poll

Do You Wish We Had Never Signed Hayward?

I wish we had made another decision
14 (35%)
I am still happy with his signing
26 (65%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Do You Wish We Had Never Signed Hayward?  (Read 15028 times)

Re: Do You Wish We Had Never Signed Hayward?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2018, 06:24:27 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m still happy he’s here. When healthy, he puts up Paul George numbers, and he’s a good guy who fits in with the team.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2018, 07:09:48 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
No because by the time jaylen or jayson is traded for AD he will be prime

Why not trade Hayward for AD instead.  It would likely cost the Sac pick and need to involve a third team, but it could make sense a lot of sense.

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2018, 07:12:54 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Why not trade Hayward for AD instead.  It would likely cost the Sac pick and need to involve a third team, but it could make sense a lot of sense.
It would be harder to sell a wing in his prime to a New Orleans team that would likely seek the rebuild post-Davis than it would be to sell a young stud wing prospect.

Plus Brad would be furious with Hayward being shipped off I imagine, and it would be truly terrible for our image
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 07:18:41 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Hoping this thread dies quickly, serving no purpose and the poll results prove it.

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2018, 07:19:20 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

It would be harder to sell a wing in his prime to a New Orleans team that would likely seek the rebuild post-Davis than it would be to sell a young stud wing prospect.

Plus Brad would be furious with Hayward being shipped off I imagine, and it would be truly terrible for our image

Good points.  It would be tougher to pull off and can't be done until after this season.  It would set us up better for the long term though.

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 07:29:30 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No, I think he will pan out before it is all over.   Give the guy, some time he is coming back from a horrific injury and worked his tail off to get back to play for the Celtics.

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2018, 07:54:11 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
he looked more comfortable than ever with Boston .  Not at Utah level , but its different team and he does not have to be THE MAN evry night . Once he gets his timing. back he ll be great.

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2018, 08:07:25 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
32 to maybe your one, jamb. Guess almost no one but you thought about what it would have been like not to sign Hayward because it wasn't fair that he got hurt.

I actually voted for Hayward's signing and generally agree with Roy/straightoutta/C4ever and other people who are satisfied enough with his signing, but not blasting me for even having the thought...nice dig, though, nick.

But, I'm not going to lie, I am on the fence. $30M last year could have gone a long way to help that Cs team get to the Finals - even without Kyrie. If the player/players signed with that money had been on 1-2 year contracts, we would have no issue re-signing Terry or Morris (and of course Kyrie) or worry about being in the tax this season.

I think Hayward will be good this year and during his contract, but I don't believe he will be a max player - that doesn't mean I am not happy to have him THIS year.

I am surprised that the poll is so lopsided. I mean, I expected people feel bad and vote for Hayward, but I never imagined so many would double down on having a heart. I imagine it would be even less skewed if we had created this poll immediately after his FA signing when he was coming off an all-star season. Good for Boston fans.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 08:52:54 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2018, 08:19:42 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
32 to maybe your one, jamb. Guess almost no one but you thought about what it would have been like not to sign Hayward because it wasn't fair that he got hurt.

I actually voted for Hayward's signing and generally agree with Roy and straightoutta and other people who are satisfied enough with his signing, but not blasting me for even having the thought...nice dig, though, nick.

But, I'm not going to lie, I am on the fence. $30M last year could have gone a long way to help that Cs team get to the Finals - even without Kyrie. If the player/players signed with that money had been on 1-2 year contracts, we would have no issue re-signing Terry or Morris (and of course Kyrie) or worry about being in the tax this season.

I think Hayward will be good this year and during his contract, but I don't believe he will be a max player - that doesn't mean I am not happy to have him THIS year.

I am surprised that the poll is so lopsided. I mean, I expected people feel bad and vote for Hayward, but I never imagined so many would double down on having a heart. I imagine it would be even less skewed if we had created this poll immediately after his FA signing when he was coming off an all-star season. Good for Boston fans.

I think the time to examine this is after the playoffs.

If Hayward struggles all year, and then Rozier and Morris leave in free agency, I think your argument is stronger.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2018, 08:37:36 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I actually voted for Hayward's signing and generally agree with Roy and straightoutta and other people who are satisfied enough with his signing, but not blasting me for even having the thought...nice dig, though, nick.

I think the time to examine this is after the playoffs.

If Hayward struggles all year, and then Rozier and Morris leave in free agency, I think your argument is stronger.
A bit, but not enough to regret the Hayward signing, as the reality is Boston wouldn't have had the cap space to do anything meaningful this past summer anyway (wouldn't be in the tax, but wouldn't have been able to sign anyone of note).  So the real question is what would Boston have done with the money that Hayward got.  First, I assume without the need to clear cap space, Boston doesn't do the Bradley/Morris trade, so Morris isn't on the team anyway and Bradley is (well maybe see next point).  Second, while I think Ainge still does the IT/Irving trade, I'm not sure it is a given or that it would have ended up looking the same, especially since Bradley would have made more sense in Cleveland than Crowder.  Third, if Boston didn't use the cap space to land Hayward, I think Ainge would have been more aggressive in the trade market that summer.  It probably would have been too late for Butler or George (though maybe George happens if Ainge isn't getting the warm and fuzzies from Hayward), but I think he would have been pretty aggressive and done something.

In other words, you take Hayward off the team and last summer and last year's team in general probably looks a lot different.  Maybe it is better or maybe it is worse.  Just so many variables at play.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2018, 08:50:38 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
In other words, you take Hayward off the team and last summer and last year's team in general probably looks a lot different.  Maybe it is better or maybe it is worse.  Just so many variables at play.

TP Moranis - thanks for breaking down some of the things that may have gone differently. I do agree [obviously] that we need to give Hayward more time and I am quite excited for his return, but a team with George and Crowder would also certainly be interesting.

There were also some FA targets in 2017 that could have been had for far less than the max. Ignoring RFA matching rules for a moment, what if we had signed Bogdanovic and Tyreke Evans or Ingles and Jonathan Simmons? Either combination would have been far below the max, but may have had significant impact on last year's team and could have given us the flexibility to re-sign our own FAs in the future.

I need to re-iterate that having Hayward on this current team is awesome - I just wanted to see how people felt about his signing now. I truly am surprised that only one person (so far) has seen Hayward as worse than all other possibilities given his injury.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 09:33:48 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2018, 08:57:30 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740

TP Moranis - thanks for breaking down some of the things that may have gone differently. I do agree [obviously] that we need to give Hayward more time and I am quite excited for his return, but a team with George and Crowder would also certainly be interesting.

There were also some FA targets in 2017 that could have been had for far less than the max. Ignoring RFA matching rules for a moment, what if we had signed Bogdanovic and Tyreke Evans or Ingles and Jonathan Simmons? Either combination would have been far below the max, but may have had significant impact on last year's team and could have given us the flexibility to re-sign our own FAs in the future.

I need to re-iterate that having Hayward on this current team is awesome - I just wanted to see how people felt about his signing now. I truly am surprised that only one person (so far) has seen Hayward as better than all other possibilities given his injury.
huh?

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2018, 09:09:56 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

I need to re-iterate that having Hayward on this current team is awesome - I just wanted to see how people felt about his signing now. I truly am surprised that only one person (so far) has seen Hayward as worse than all other possibilities given his injury.
huh?

The basic point is that DA wouldn't have done nothing with the $30M in cap space he had in 2017. He is a shrewd and creative GM and he would have made other moves to improve this franchise.

Only one person so far thinks those other possibilities would have been better than signing a max FA who was unavailable all of last year (and could possibly be hindered moving forward). That is surprising because I think more than 2% of people were actually less happy with the Hayward signing when it happened than they [apparently] are now. As I've mentioned, I am on the fence and am cautiously satisfied with Hayward's signing, but am also confident in DA's abilities to find reasonable Plans B and C.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 09:34:38 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2018, 09:19:07 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740

I need to re-iterate that having Hayward on this current team is awesome - I just wanted to see how people felt about his signing now. I truly am surprised that only one person (so far) has seen Hayward as better than all other possibilities given his injury.
huh?

That's helpful. The basic point is that DA wouldn't have done nothing with the $30M in cap space he had in 2017. He is a shrewd and creative GM and he would have made other moves to improve this franchise.

Only one person so far thinks those other possibilities would have been better than signing a max FA who was unavailable all of last year (and could possibly be hindered moving forward). That is surprising because I think more than 2% of people were actually less happy with the Hayward signing when it happened than they [apparently] are now. As I've mentioned, I am on the fence and am cautiously satisfied with Hayward's signing, but am also confident in DA's abilities to find reasonable Plans B and C.

reread what you wrote, then you’ll see what the huh is about

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2018, 09:24:22 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I wish for a lot of things but this ain't on any of my lists. Where do people EDIT: No name calling. Be civil.come up with this stuff? ;D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 02:10:11 PM by nickagneta »