Author Topic: It's time the Celtics take down Goliath  (Read 8431 times)

Re: It's time the Celtics take down Goliath
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2018, 11:45:02 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
would be a much more fun series though if we were at full strength. I actually think with Hayward/Kyrie or even just Kyrie we would probably go to the finals.

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2018, 12:02:23 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
It’s going to be really difficult.  We’re winning this series due to matchups.  Looking ahead to a cav series, I don’t think the matchups are as favorable.  Fully expect for Tatum to come back to earth against Bron.  Love versus al is fairly even as a matchup.  Baynes and Thompson are a wash too. 

I think we definitely have the advantage in the backcourt but can Rozier continue to defy the odds?  Can brown consistently take advantage of his matchup?  I mean, maybe, but bron is super human and will be able to make up for a lot of Cleveland’s issues.

This last paragraph is important for two reasons:

1) I actually really like our matchup with Cavs. We have 3-4 defenders that can guard Lebron 1 on 1, and we’ll just do what we’ve been doing with Milwaukee and Philly - providing single coverage against Lebron and shutting down the rest of the team. We’re also much bigger, longer, and more athletic than both Indy and Toronto, which will help with turning them over and covering their three point shooters on the perimeter.

2) Rozier is actually from Cleveland, and IIRC, he’s generally played well in Cleveland. I’m hoping that it can sort of be a “home away from home” for him and he can continue his hot play.

One other important consideration - in year’s past we’ve been killed on the boards and down low by TT and Love. That’s a bit different with us having Baynes starting now, and I also think Moose will have a big role off the bench for us in that series.
I don’t feel the same way regarding the matchups.  If you line up the starters, who guards LeBron?  Tatum?  I think he’s going to have a toigh tough time.  Not nearly strong enough, and I think he’d be in constant foul trouble if LeBron chose to attack him.  Mismatch territory really and, LeBron can slow Tatum down too.

From the starting lineup we would have trouble crossmatching with hordford because Tatum can’t guard love either.  I think what brad might have to do is sacrifice brown on LeBron and let Tatum guard smith.  Brown can’t guard bron either but really, who can?  At least he’s a little stronger and this would allow Tatum more energy for offense.

In terms of bench, Morris helps for sure.  I think he and al would be best, because every other wing on the team (smart, Brown, Tatum) are simply overmatched physically.

So I don’t like the matchups nearly as much as I like them this series.

Ya im not sure its so much about having one guy as it is about the volume of competent defenders we can throw at him. Indy had none, TOR has one, we have about five. We wont shut him down, but we can make it a little difficult which over the course of 44+ minutes he plays means we might wear him down. As good as he is if he gets 40 but the rest the team gets held to 60 I line our chances against that terrible defense.

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2018, 12:13:33 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 366
Indy was able to push the cavs to the brink....the Raptors seemingly are star struck at Lebron and he has their number.

I dont think the C's will be as star-struck or scared as the raptors are. the question will be if we have enough offense when the game gets tight.

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2018, 01:41:09 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I'm very disappointed no one has mentioned Semi. He is not a full time Lebron stopper but he can give us a few decent minutes on defense and never doubt Brad will use him for just that. Even if he just bullies Lebron for 3 fouls worth in each half thats a help.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2018, 01:45:03 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I'm very disappointed no one has mentioned Semi. He is not a full time Lebron stopper but he can give us a few decent minutes on defense and never doubt Brad will use him for just that. Even if he just bullies Lebron for 3 fouls worth in each half thats a help.

Bullies LeBron. That is funny. I don't know if there is anyone big enough to bully LeBron but I am hoping.

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2018, 01:48:48 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

Bullies LeBron. That is funny. I don't know if there is anyone big enough to bully LeBron but I am hoping.

Glad you saw the humor but I think Semi can mess with him a little.  ;D

Go Semi >:(

We can also give him some Marcus Smart treatment for a bit. I bet we see Marcus and/or Semi setting a big charge wall in the lane for Lebron and taking the hit. then we will see if the league lets Lebron get away with more smashmouth tactics.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2018, 02:23:19 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
In every series we have had players rise because of matchups. Against Milwaukee it was Semi, giving us huge minutes against Giannis. Against Philly, Baynes has been irreplaceable - we needed him to bang with Embiid for ~20 minutes a game to absorb the contact and the fouls, making Embiid work and play inefficiently.

Who will it be against Cleveland?

I have been down on Marcus Morris lately, but I am hoping this is his time. I picture Brad telling him before game 1: Marcus, you are going to win this series for us.  On defense. You're going to play 20-25 minutes, and for every minute you are in you are going to give LeBron fourth-quarter intensity defense.  Leave it all on the floor. You are going to play physical all game long. And by the end of the game, when they need him in the fourth quarter, his legs are going to be gone. And that is how we win the series.

We'll get more minutes from Semi and Jaylen (hopefully, if he's healthy) and others. But I think this is the Mook series.

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2018, 03:08:41 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
I'd be incredibly psyched if the C's get to a series v. Cleveland.  Either giving LBJ a good scare or taking him down would be satisfying -- done with 4 key players 24 or younger (maybe 5 if Semi plays an important role) and two all-stars out.   Not thrilled about this team getting thrashed in the Finals -- but of course will root for them to get there.  I doubt the C's can compete with whoever emerges out West, but I think the C's can play with the Cavs.

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2018, 03:09:00 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
not even past philly and we're already beating the cavs in 5-6...

this board  ::)

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2018, 03:49:23 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
I'd be incredibly psyched if the C's get to a series v. Cleveland.  Either giving LBJ a good scare or taking him down would be satisfying -- done with 4 key players 24 or younger (maybe 5 if Semi plays an important role) and two all-stars out.   Not thrilled about this team getting thrashed in the Finals -- but of course will root for them to get there.  I doubt the C's can compete with whoever emerges out West, but I think the C's can play with the Cavs.

I actually think the other way around.
I believe we are the only team that can give either GS or the Rockets a fair competition in the Finals...The problem is Lebron and Love has had our number through the years...We have been booted out by Lebron 3x now and this was suppose to be th year we hand it to them until Hwayward and Kyrie went down.

« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2018, 05:46:49 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
all i'll say is, if we play Cleveland and they go on to play whoever in the finals; Lebron better be limping.

not saying to beat him up or anything illegal, i'm saying - it shouldn't be easy for him.

« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2018, 05:56:05 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
all i'll say is, if we play Cleveland and they go on to play whoever in the finals; Lebron better be limping.

not saying to beat him up or anything illegal, i'm saying - it shouldn't be easy for him.

He needs to be limping. He's had the luxury of sweeping Eastern Conference teams in recent past.

I'm glad the Pacers gave him hell, but the #1 seeded Raptors are barely even trying.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2018, 05:59:11 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I want to believe we can beat the Cavs, but LeBron is playing as good as he ever has. And it figures that Kevin Love would decide to finally break out of his funk right in time for a matchup with the C's.

I'm not ruling out the possibility of the C's beating the Cavs, Boston has been defying the odds and playing some inspired ball, but it is going to be a monumentally difficult task.  Beating the Bucks and Sixers is nowhere near the same as facing a top 5 all-time player who is at his peak.

« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2018, 06:04:25 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 601
I want to believe we can beat the Cavs, but LeBron is playing as good as he ever has. And it figures that Kevin Love would decide to finally break out of his funk right in time for a matchup with the C's.

I'm not ruling out the possibility of the C's beating the Cavs, Boston has been defying the odds and playing some inspired ball, but it is going to be a monumentally difficult task.  Beating the Bucks and Sixers is nowhere near the same as facing a top 5 all-time player who is at his peak.

Cavs are nowhere as good as Sixers or Bucks defensively. Pacers laid a blueprint on how to expose them on defense. Brad will surely find ways to exploit matchups. Both Giannis and Simmons are very good preparations against LeCoach.

« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2018, 06:11:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Still have to beat LeBron to get past them and he has some vitriol for us because we hammered him quite a bit early in his career.