Author Topic: It's time the Celtics take down Goliath  (Read 8430 times)

Re: It's time the Celtics take down Goliath
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2018, 01:31:18 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Anybody remember the last team to prevent Lebron from making the NBA Finals?

...which, now that I think about it, wow. Quite the run that man has had. Can’t hate on that. But it would still be some beautiful symmetry  ;D

There is a basketball god and it will come full circle for Lebron and his Cavs. Its just really absolutely fitting that the team that takes LeWhine down are the Boston Celtics..

How has Lebron been dominant?. Well he is the only one left out of both squads who battled it out nearly 10 yrs ago.
Do you watch basketball?. (trolling with the punctuation ;D)
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2018, 01:33:09 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
It’s going to be really difficult.  We’re winning this series due to matchups.  Looking ahead to a cav series, I don’t think the matchups are as favorable.  Fully expect for Tatum to come back to earth against Bron.  Love versus al is fairly even as a matchup.  Baynes and Thompson are a wash too. 

I think we definitely have the advantage in the backcourt but can Rozier continue to defy the odds?  Can brown consistently take advantage of his matchup?  I mean, maybe, but bron is super human and will be able to make up for a lot of Cleveland’s issues.

This last paragraph is important for two reasons:

1) I actually really like our matchup with Cavs. We have 3-4 defenders that can guard Lebron 1 on 1, and we’ll just do what we’ve been doing with Milwaukee and Philly - providing single coverage against Lebron and shutting down the rest of the team. We’re also much bigger, longer, and more athletic than both Indy and Toronto, which will help with turning them over and covering their three point shooters on the perimeter.

2) Rozier is actually from Cleveland, and IIRC, he’s generally played well in Cleveland. I’m hoping that it can sort of be a “home away from home” for him and he can continue his hot play.

One other important consideration - in year’s past we’ve been killed on the boards and down low by TT and Love. That’s a bit different with us having Baynes starting now, and I also think Moose will have a big role off the bench for us in that series.
I don’t feel the same way regarding the matchups.  If you line up the starters, who guards LeBron?  Tatum?  I think he’s going to have a toigh tough time.  Not nearly strong enough, and I think he’d be in constant foul trouble if LeBron chose to attack him.  Mismatch territory really and, LeBron can slow Tatum down too.

From the starting lineup we would have trouble crossmatching with hordford because Tatum can’t guard love either.  I think what brad might have to do is sacrifice brown on LeBron and let Tatum guard smith.  Brown can’t guard bron either but really, who can?  At least he’s a little stronger and this would allow Tatum more energy for offense.

In terms of bench, Morris helps for sure.  I think he and al would be best, because every other wing on the team (smart, Brown, Tatum) are simply overmatched physically.

So I don’t like the matchups nearly as much as I like them this series.

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2018, 01:35:53 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
It’s going to be really difficult.  We’re winning this series due to matchups.  Looking ahead to a cav series, I don’t think the matchups are as favorable.  Fully expect for Tatum to come back to earth against Bron.  Love versus al is fairly even as a matchup.  Baynes and Thompson are a wash too. 

I think we definitely have the advantage in the backcourt but can Rozier continue to defy the odds?  Can brown consistently take advantage of his matchup?  I mean, maybe, but bron is super human and will be able to make up for a lot of Cleveland’s issues.

1) I actually really like our matchup with Cavs. We have 3-4 defenders that can guard Lebron 1 on 1, and we’ll just do what we’ve been doing with Milwaukee and Philly - providing single coverage against Lebron and shutting down the rest of the team. We’re also much bigger, longer, and more athletic than both Indy and Toronto, which will help with turning them over and covering their three point shooters on the perimeter.

2) Rozier is actually from Cleveland, and IIRC, he’s generally played well in Cleveland. I’m hoping that it can sort of be a “home away from home” for him and he can continue his hot play.

One other important consideration - in year’s past we’ve been killed on the boards and down low by TT and Love. That’s a bit different with us having Baynes starting now, and I also think Moose will have a big role off the bench for us in that series.
I don’t feel the same way regarding the matchups.  If you line up the starters, who guards LeBron?  Tatum?  I think he’s going to have a toigh tough time.  Not nearly strong enough, and I think he’d be in constant foul trouble if LeBron chose to attack him.  Mismatch territory really and, LeBron can slow Tatum down too.

From the starting lineup we would have trouble crossmatching with hordford because Tatum can’t guard love either.  I think what brad might have to do is sacrifice brown on LeBron and let Tatum guard smith.  Brown can’t guard bron either but really, who can?  At least he’s a little stronger and this would allow Tatum more energy for offense.

In terms of bench, Morris helps for sure.  I think he and al would be best, because every other wing on the team (smart, Brown, Tatum) are simply overmatched physically.

Brown has actually been decent on Bron the few times he was matched up against him.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2018, 01:38:21 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Please, god, let Lebron guard Tatum, lol ;D.

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2018, 01:46:32 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Brown has actually been decent on Bron the few times he was matched up against him.
Yeah, he has.  But he’s also worn down at the end of games because of having to guard him.  I mean, Brown is pretty strong but looks like a kid next go LeBron.  He is in wrecking ball mode and will give anyone smaller a butt kicking if he chooses.  Only guys that come close physically (al and Morris) have a real chance of not getting into foul trouble against him.

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2018, 02:06:56 AM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Honestly, I think more than trying to find that guy who can slow Lebron it’s important to make sure he has to work on D. Last few years we didn’t have anyone Lebron had to really consider on defense. Not Jae Crowder, not a rookie Jaylen Brown, and usually he wasn’t matched up against Al Horford (or IT). That meant he expended all energy on offense.

This year we at least have three guys - Brown, Tatum and Morris - who play his position and can get buckets of their own accord. Not saying that’s the end-all, be-all difference, but it is definitely a new wrinkle. It means we actually have honest matchups on both ends for once. Oh, and.... we don’t have to guard Kyrie.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2018, 02:11:14 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Yeah, he has.  But he’s also worn down at the end of games because of having to guard him.  I mean, Brown is pretty strong but looks like a kid next go LeBron.  He is in wrecking ball mode and will give anyone smaller a butt kicking if he chooses.  Only guys that come close physically (al and Morris) have a real chance of not getting into foul trouble against him.
Doesn't really matter because we're going to sub in Morris quite some, Brown is just the dude covering Bron in the starting lineup. Also Bron will have a hard time guarding Jaylen, Jaylen has a nice speed advantage and his shooting will prevent Bron from sagging off.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2018, 02:20:26 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Both teams still have another win to go, but that matchup seems like it was destined to be.

No, we won’t defend LeBron like we did Giannis or are currently defending Simmons. LeBron can shoot the 3 and if we give him wide open looks he will take (and make) them.

So we would need to get up on him and force him to do work. Can he do it consistently for 40+ minutes a night? He lacks the go-to scorer beside him now. There is no Irving or Wade.

What he has been doing is nothing short of sensational. He’s been that good. This is arguably his most impressive season, perhaps ever. If we are to meet, I think it’ll be a much more even series than last year was.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2018, 02:22:49 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Beating the Cavs would boil down to a combination of clutch shot making, defending the "others" in crunch time, and having a little bit of luck/good fortune.  In a 7 game series I'd assume that 4 or 5 are decided in the final two minutes.  At that point the margin for error is razor thin. 

LeBron has proven that he can do significantly more with less than any other player in the NBA.  Unfortunately his current cast is still better than the 2008 Cavs who took the Celtics to 7 games.  It's also much better than the group he dragged to 6 games against Golden State in the 2015 Finals.  Kyrie and Love missed most of the playoffs that season.

The good news is that we have a combination of coaching, fearlessness, athleticism and intangibles that could lead to an upset.  Doesn't it just feel like the Celtics have "it".  You couldn't ask for a better way to dethrone LeBron in the East.

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2018, 02:25:07 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Both teams still have another win to go, but that matchup seems like it was destined to be.

No, we won’t defend LeBron like we did Giannis or are currently defending Simmons. LeBron can shoot the 3 and if we give him wide open looks he will take (and make) them.

So we would need to get up on him and force him to do work. Can he do it consistently for 40+ minutes a night? He lacks the go-to scorer beside him now. There is no Irving or Wade.

What he has been doing is nothing short of sensational. He’s been that good. This is arguably his most impressive season, perhaps ever. If we are to meet, I think it’ll be a much more even series than last year was.
His postseason has been frankly ridiculous. Averaging 35/10/9 before the latest game.

But it will be interesting to watch. We have a much deeper wing group, and they're all strong and laterally fast. As long as we stay disciplined and don't let Love, Korver or Clarkson light us up I think we'll be okay. I trust Brad to defend LeBron as well as anyone
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2018, 02:27:59 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I hate korver so much. And also love always seems to make 3 pointers against us tol

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2018, 10:35:26 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1561
Something that I've seen no one take into account- we FINALLY have home court advantage against lebron. We are so far undefeated from home in the playoffs. The cavs coasting in the regular season and all their drama and antics may now come back to haunt them

LOL we had home court against them LAST YEAR! where were you?
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2018, 10:40:48 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
1 ...game...at....a....time.......please

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2018, 10:44:55 AM »

• Dennis Johnson
The one concern I'd have about the Cavs is that LeBron has still been able to do anything he wants offensively against us.  Brad has never been able to devise a strategy to stop him and no one on the roster has been effective guarding him one on one.

Of course no one else in the league has been able to contain him either.

i have said it before and i will say it again. lebron has killed us before with far too many dunks and crap at the rim like giannis did. now will lebron hit a bunch of those tough outsides shots? yes. but if you make him shoot enough from WAY OUTSIDE he will go cold. cover the rest of that team and make lebron beat US FROM OUTSIDE. do not let him get to the rim. we may have to give him some space outside, so be it. even if wide open he will NOT hit all those shots. his teams always kills us beacuse we refuse to make him shoot from outside all game and play up on him letting him drive to hoop OR other team mates kill us like, wade, bosh, kyrie, love,  etc. let us see if lebron can score 70 or 80. i highly doubt it.  if you want to put it all on lebron so he gets no help we must shut down, korver, smith and love.   
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2018, 10:55:26 AM »

• Dennis Johnson
1 ...game...at....a....time.......please

ummm technically since we are not the players or coaches on this team we as fans can look as far ahead as we want. just sayin
LET'S GO CELTICS!