Author Topic: Danny: who we take at 3 is who we would've taken at 1  (Read 13421 times)

Danny: who we take at 3 is who we would've taken at 1
« on: June 19, 2017, 02:05:12 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
From his press conference announcing the deal.

Well, there you have it. Apparently one of Jackson or Tatum has been their guy all along. He also said this was a unanimous decision from the organization, including Brad. He also said this could lead into another deal, and they've already received calls regarding the 3rd pick, though they're happy with this trade regardless of any other moves.

Hard to argue the logic here. You might disagree with the draft analysis, but if they were going to take Jackson/Tatum anyways, then this is a no-brainer.

I'm guessing the bad Fultz workout sealed the deal for them. I still think it's Tatum.

Re: Danny: who we take at 3 is who we would've taken at 1
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 02:07:23 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The fact that fultz had a bad workout with us and also Philly is telling. He also doesn't play defense so I understand the teams concerns.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 02:08:54 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
As you say, I disagree with the talent analysis (although they're being paid millions of dollars to evaluate the draft so...), but if Tatum or Jackson was their guy then the deal makes perfect sense.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 02:10:39 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Tough to look at without thinking he's just saying that to alleviate the justifiable concern among the fan base right now.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 02:11:46 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
From his press conference announcing the deal.

Well, there you have it. Apparently one of Jackson or Tatum has been their guy all along. He also said this was a unanimous decision from the organization, including Brad. He also said this could lead into another deal, and they've already received calls regarding the 3rd pick, though they're happy with this trade regardless of any other moves.

Hard to argue the logic here. You might disagree with the draft analysis, but if they were going to take Jackson/Tatum anyways, then this is a no-brainer.

I'm guessing the bad Fultz workout sealed the deal for them. I still think it's Tatum.

In a perfect world, we could say that the Celtics never lie, or shade, in their answers.  In this world?  Come on.  Is it possible they're not lying?  Sure.  Is it possible they're lying?  Of course.  That's S.O.P. at times like this.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 02:13:17 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
it's not jackson or ball.  he doesn't know with that type of confidence they' be there.  it's isaac or tatum or someone else.

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 02:15:38 PM »

Offline GreenCoffeeBean

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
It's Jedi Mind Tricks to get Philly to take Jackson, LAL takes Ball, and we still get Fultz.

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 02:18:37 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 919
Tough to look at without thinking he's just saying that to alleviate the justifiable concern among the fan base right now.

Considering that he doesn't yet know who is available at #3, I would agree.

Mike

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 02:22:20 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Taking Isaac at three would be a real stretch. Could move down even more to 5 6 or 7 and still get him.

It is Tatum or Jackson if they pick

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 02:24:56 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
when did fan opinion make a difference in ainge's draft picks? he picked rozier, fans hated him. ainge picked brown, fans booed.

nope, i will take ainge at his word here. he will get the player he prefered AND another low draft pick. nice job by danny here.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 02:28:52 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 662
  • MASTER OF PANIC
when did fan opinion make a difference in ainge's draft picks? he picked rozier, fans hated him. ainge picked brown, fans booed.

nope, i will take ainge at his word here. he will get the player he prefered AND another low draft pick. nice job by danny here.

Exactly. Ainge is does not give two Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.s what fans think.

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 02:29:32 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934

I mean, why would he do it otherwise, though? It doesn't make sense.

Even before the lottery, it was long widely reported that Danny had Fultz, Ball, Jackson, and Tatum all in that same tier. Many just thought that it was "Danny talk" in case he fell to 4 in the lottery; however, this deal seems to justify those reports with him moving down. And with no other trade deals appearing imminent, which was my original rationalization and guess for the timing of this trade, this seems to be the only logical conclusion left.

I don't see any other reason he'd make this trade other than that.

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 02:32:18 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
As someone who has been saying the same things Danny is saying now for a couple of weeks, this all makes perfect sense.

I've been a vocal proponent of Jackson as the top player in this draft.  I have also liked Tatum above Fultz.  Ball scares me, but that's mostly because of his weird dad.

This is a huge win for the Cs as far as I'm concerned.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 02:34:39 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
Taking Isaac at three would be a real stretch. Could move down even more to 5 6 or 7 and still get him.

It is Tatum or Jackson if they pick

It had been rumored that the suns will take Isaac with the 4th pick so maybe not...

Here's the link (and notably we worked out Isaac unlike Jackson)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2017/6/14/15800740/jonathan-isaac-nba-draft-workout-rumor-suns-celtics-magic

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 02:36:23 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286

Exactly. Ainge is does not give two ****s what fans think.

Thank goodness!