Author Topic: New assists record for Rondo  (Read 13092 times)

Re: New assists record for Rondo
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2010, 09:05:12 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Are we going to do this after every game? Let me know when he has the regular season record.

Yes. Every single game. Actually I am going to PM you with updates on his pace and where he stands. ;)

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2010, 09:15:38 AM »

Offline Larry Pistol

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
Obviously there's a long way to go, but what's the chances on Rondo breaking the NBA record for APG in a single season? He's insane right now with his passing.

Record is 14.5 by Stockton...I'd say very unlikely, we don't play very fast and his minutes will probably drop a bit when West returns.

He probably won't set the record, but what he's doing assist-wise is much more impressive than what Stockton did. Stockton assisted about 33% of his team's made baskets that year, and Rondo's at about 44% for the Celts right now.

I like the effort BballTim however your stats are a little bit skewed. Per basketball-reference.com, Rondo has 67 assists while the Celtics as a team have 115. The 1989-1990 season was the season Stockton averaged 14.5apg. That year he had 1134 assists, while the Jazz as a team accumulated 2212 assists.

So in 1989-1990, Stockton had 51.2% of the assists. Rondo currently has 58.3%. Which is pretty [dang] amazing.

However, they played better basketball back then (in the since of TEAM basketball). We might be the best at it right now, but it's still nothing compared to basketball of 60's and even 50's through the early 90's.

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2010, 09:20:47 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Obviously there's a long way to go, but what's the chances on Rondo breaking the NBA record for APG in a single season? He's insane right now with his passing.

Record is 14.5 by Stockton...I'd say very unlikely, we don't play very fast and his minutes will probably drop a bit when West returns.

He probably won't set the record, but what he's doing assist-wise is much more impressive than what Stockton did. Stockton assisted about 33% of his team's made baskets that year, and Rondo's at about 44% for the Celts right now.

I like the effort BballTim however your stats are a little bit skewed. Per basketball-reference.com, Rondo has 67 assists while the Celtics as a team have 115. The 1989-1990 season was the season Stockton averaged 14.5apg. That year he had 1134 assists, while the Jazz as a team accumulated 2212 assists.

So in 1989-1990, Stockton had 51.2% of the assists. Rondo currently has 58.3%. Which is pretty [dang] amazing.

However, they played better basketball back then (in the since of TEAM basketball). We might be the best at it right now, but it's still nothing compared to basketball of 60's and even 50's through the early 90's.
Basketball Reference has their respective assist percentages at 57.4% (Stockton) and 60.7% (Rondo).

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 09:31:58 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Basketball Reference has their respective assist percentages at 57.4% (Stockton) and 60.7% (Rondo).

And no matter what stats are used, I don't think Rondo's performance over a 4 game sample is more impressive than Stockton's over an 82 game sample.

He's having an excellent year, but this pace won't keep up.  I'd put the ceiling on his APG at around 11.5 or so.  Great, great numbers, but not historically great.

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2010, 09:36:56 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

i think those are 2 different stats...
bball is talking about % of total made baskets assisted by rondo; larry is talking about portion of assisted baskets attributed to rondo, which excludes unassisted baskets.

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2010, 09:42:05 AM »

Offline Larry Pistol

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8

bball is talking about % of total made baskets assisted by rondo; larry is talking about portion of assisted baskets attributed to rondo, which excludes unassisted baskets.

Actually you are correct. I just looked back to read exactly what was said. BballTim and Fafnir are talking about the same stat while I was talking about APG. However Fafnir is the one who has the correct numbers.

EDIT: The stat they are talking about is Assist percentage. Assist percentage is an estimate of the percentage of teammate field goals a player assisted while he was on on the floor.

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2010, 09:45:23 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
If he's still doing this around January, then I start to seriously consider he might set a record.  Yes, he's playing out of his mind so far but its still waayyy too early.  So many things can happen over the course of a season.  

I guess my question is "How much of this is a hot streak v. Rondo settling into a higher level of his play?"  If he's going to averaging 11-12 apg, that's still a heckuva level to be playing at.   The assist/turnover ratio should also be considered.  Last night was great.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2010, 09:57:26 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
I just looked up the ft% for every game since the new Big Three came to Boston (which was made easier by how few games Rondo has missed (just 8 in three seasons) and unfortunately how few times he shot 100% from the line).

Last night's game was the only time the team went perfect from the line in the Big Three era!

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2010, 10:01:12 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Actually you are correct. I just looked back to read exactly what was said. BballTim and Fafnir are talking about the same stat while I was talking about APG. However Fafnir is the one who has the correct numbers.

EDIT: The stat they are talking about is Assist percentage. Assist percentage is an estimate of the percentage of teammate field goals a player assisted while he was on on the floor.

To clarify, Tim's stats involve the total FGs made by each team, and Faf's only involve the FGs made while Stockton/Rondo was on the floor.  They're slightly different things, hence the different numbers.

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2010, 10:48:26 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Are we going to do this after every game?

I, for one, hope so.

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2010, 10:49:36 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

To clarify, Tim's stats involve the total FGs made by each team, and Faf's only involve the FGs made while Stockton/Rondo was on the floor.  They're slightly different things, hence the different numbers.
Three different stats all saying the same thing:

Rondo = Awesome  ;)

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2010, 11:12:52 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2010, 12:44:52 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
I think Rondo could challenge the APG record if he doesn't shoot this year.  I don't have the exact stat in front of me, but the C's were something like 9-10 when Rondo scored 18+ points last year, so I would see that as a good thing.  He scored that much against the Cavs this year and we lost.

While his numbers are great, I would say he is playing with better players around him, and shooting/scoring less, in comparision to Magic and Stockton. Stock used to put up 13 dime while scoring 18 points on average.  Magic played with some talented teams, but what if Stockton had Paul, Ray, KG, Shaq, JON to pass to?  I am by no means a Rondo hater, but you just need to be objective sometimes.

Having said all that, Rondo is the perfect fit for this roster; no doubt he's going to have a huge year.

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2010, 01:00:17 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I think Rondo could challenge the APG record if he doesn't shoot this year.  I don't have the exact stat in front of me, but the C's were something like 9-10 when Rondo scored 18+ points last year, so I would see that as a good thing.  He scored that much against the Cavs this year and we lost.

While his numbers are great, I would say he is playing with better players around him, and shooting/scoring less, in comparision to Magic and Stockton. Stock used to put up 13 dime while scoring 18 points on average.  Magic played with some talented teams, but what if Stockton had Paul, Ray, KG, Shaq, JON to pass to?  I am by no means a Rondo hater, but you just need to be objective sometimes.

Having said all that, Rondo is the perfect fit for this roster; no doubt he's going to have a huge year.

The flip side is that while it is true he has good teammates, some of the looks he is giving them are absolutely ridiculous.

He's benefiting from his teammates skill level to be sure, but he is getting them a ton of wide, wide open looks or bunnies.

It's a symbiotic thing. Rondo gets assists because his teamtes are talented, but they take that talent to it's highest level because he gets them such great looks.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2010, 01:09:15 PM »

Offline greenpride32

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Crownsy - Good point, but to turn it around; if Rondo played for a bad team, how many people here honestly think he would be a star right now?  He has talent for sure, but I'm going to say he would not be in any discussions concering best point guards in the league at this stage, because he still needs to develop his game a bit.
Rondo is a great "team" player already, but when people talk about great players they usually mean from an individual perspective.

The torch will truly be passed in 2 years when the old guard is gone and Rondo will be relyed on much more than he is now.