Author Topic: Is Marquis Danials EVER going to be effective..?  (Read 12613 times)

Re: Is Marquis Danials EVER going to be effective..?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 01:18:15 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
His D can't touch Posey's though.

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 01:26:55 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Can we agree on what we'd like him to produce?  Perhaps by the end of the year a stat line like this:

74 games, 24:36 mpg average 

FG's:  2.3/5.6; 41.8%   
3PT: 1.4/3.8; 38.0%   
FT:  1.3/1.6 80.9%
Rebs, Ast, Stl: 4.4, 1.5, 1.0

This was Posey off the bench in the title season. 

Quisy's better.  Probably fewer 3 attempts, but as many or more points in as many shots.  Probably more assists, similar steals...

Though I do like the nickname "Smokey Q."
I dont know about that one.  Posey's a better defender, 3 pt shooter, and rebounder then Quis. 

The only aspects of the game where I would give Quisy the upper hand are his ability to penetrate and his passing. 

I'd take an 07-08 Posey over Marquis any day.  And I like Smokey Q

Just pointing out that, by the most common stat line numbers, Smokey Q is up there with Posey and an argument can be made that he's better (due to handles and FG%).  What made Posey such a top defender was his combination of strength, length, and quickness. Smokey Q has some length and quickness, and is pretty good but not great on D.  Perhaps other areas compensate, making him at least similarly valuable, though not with the same values, as Posey.  Of course, DA correctly let Posey go, so so much for value...

Perhaps the point could be (not really sure myself) that there are quite a few ways to measure "effectiveness," and some may even offer the argument for "intangibles" which essentially claims there is an aspect of "effectiveness" that can't be measured at all. 

In this case, I'll go with the fact that despite a very disappointing season last year, Danny wanted him back and Doc is putting him on the floor.  He must be effective, or at least better than the other options available.

Von Wafer or Gody for big minutes on the wing, anyone?

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 01:58:39 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I also think that part of Marquis's strength is that he can be effective without being dramatic.  He can help without having the ball with his solid defense and his ability to move without the ball.  Also, he's a stabilizing presence offensively, making smart passes and not pushing plays that aren't there. 

Also, how exactly do people want him to make a bigger impact?  We have 10 guys on this team who are capable of scoring 20 points on any given night.  There's only so many points (and shots) to go around. 

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 02:48:34 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Kedrick Brown: "Mr. Summer League"

Marquise Daniels: "Mr. Pre-Season"

I agree with some of the feelings of the OP.  Daniels seems a bit lost at times, and it would be nice to see the guy put together some stronger statistical games like we had seen with Indiana. 

But the bottom line is that we NEED him to play well, and though he hasn't been as solid a player as I would like to see, I still think he can help this team.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 04:50:35 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Maquis was excellent in the Miami game (our only 'big' game so far this season). If he only plays well against the best teams, kind of like Rasheed, I will be happy with that. It will really matter come playoff time.

I do agree with others that his unflashy game isn't impressive, but is generally effective. I like the 'better Scal' comparisons.

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 05:37:13 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
One bad game and we're asking if he'll EVER be effective?

Lol ok.  ::)

Sarcasm, and not effective either, but noticed. As if MD had this great game ever.....hmm, last year...well, no. 1 whole year, and a lot of REASONS  as to why he could get it going. A hand injury, is no excuse to not be ready and in shape, which he wasn't after it, it is also a good reason to become stronger with the other hand...! What did he do after that, well when called upon, he ran out and faked a concussion.....yea, thanks! "I..uhm, ran into that guys stomach"..???  So, now begins the season of low expectations, and invisible contributions. Well, i guess you don't have magic scal to bleed for, so you need someone.! Good thing you don't coach or play hoop. But you are a great fan..! And you'll give a lot of money for not much return, which is very generous. See, I know MD can play much better, and i expect him to also, right now he is giving 25-40% of his effort..why....that is for doc and kg to figure out...And those rondo passes, those were perfect....also known as the type of passes you'll get in the nba, you-all used to say TA had stone hands, but now you say it is the passers fault....

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2010, 05:42:14 PM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......

I agree with some of the feelings of the OP.  Daniels seems a bit lost at times, and it would be nice to see the guy put together some stronger statistical games like we had seen with Indiana. 

But the bottom line is that we NEED him to play well, and though he hasn't been as solid a player as I would like to see, I still think he can help this team.

Well, that is sort of my point, and i appreciate your post. I know he has much more in him. The celts D was not really that good last night, as the knicks had 1 or two guys that were streaking in untouched for layups ect..that one guy with all the tats, chandler, and 1 or 2 others....someone like MD HAS to step in and get on that....we can't have ray, pp and kg doing all the dirty work this early in the season..!  This is why i was soo critical of BBD, because i knew if he put out the effort, he could play as he has....MD can also. He can slash, dunk, be fast and effective, and play D....soooo, where is it....?

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2010, 05:43:20 PM »

Online snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

He took 13 shots per game with Indy.  Give him the same amount of shots and you'll probably get the same production. 

The reason's he's not getting 13 shots here is because he doesn't hit 3s, he doesn't draw fouls and he's not all that deadly with his pet shots either. 

I don't get what people are expecting from Daniels. He's a competent player who's playing at a competent level (last year he had major struggles) but he's only an impact player in very specific circumstances, none of which are likely to occur on this team.

I'm all for shipping out for a similarly competent, better fitting piece if the opportunity presents itself (Jamario Moon).
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2010, 05:44:44 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I still can't figure out what Marquis has done wrong in the first three games. Seems to me he has done exactly what the team wants and needs him to do.

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2010, 05:53:21 PM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
Against the SB Nation rules to call someone out, Meadow.
Tai's comment was not aimed at you.

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2010, 06:01:53 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I thought he was rather effective, myself.....?

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2010, 06:20:42 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
he did block Amar'e on that last 3 pt attempt to seal the win =)

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2010, 06:25:32 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I also think that part of Marquis's strength is that he can be effective without being dramatic.  He can help without having the ball with his solid defense and his ability to move without the ball.  Also, he's a stabilizing presence offensively, making smart passes and not pushing plays that aren't there. 

Also, how exactly do people want him to make a bigger impact?  We have 10 guys on this team who are capable of scoring 20 points on any given night.  There's only so many points (and shots) to go around. 

+1. 

I tend to think that Quis gets criticized solely because he isn't flashy, he just plays solid ball on both ends.  But, no highlight plays.  He's the anti-Gerald Green.

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2010, 07:00:21 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think most people who had problems with Quis in the past wasn't so much about his contributions on the court as it was his being available to play through most of the season.

He doesn't have an impressive track record of playing most of many seasons since coming into the NBA.

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2010, 07:15:06 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within

+1. 

I tend to think that Quis gets criticized solely because he isn't flashy, he just plays solid ball on both ends.  But, no highlight plays.  He's the anti-Gerald Green.

TP - The Anti-Gerald Green is just what the C's need. With Delonte he will not have to create his own offense. He has played well with Nate in spurts, but really shined with Delonte. I like what he brings. He also plays well with the first unit. Don't know why he ended up on Amare so much against the Knicks; but he will always struggle a little against bigger wings. He is not a real leaper.