Author Topic: Danny wants to rebuild and win but it doesnt work that way  (Read 17937 times)

Re: Danny wants to rebuild and win but it doesnt work that way
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 04:27:00 PM »

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
nachbar cant play above average defense. This is a team built on defense

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 04:28:15 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
yay leftovers. I just hope giddens is first signed(hurry up) and second he can mature 10x if possible

If you really want to get depressed doc has right now no reliable 6th man he can count on when one of the big three needs rest
What, you mean all three of them? At the same time?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 04:29:27 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
The Spurs had Steven Jackson making their killer 3's like Posey way back when, and they let him walk when his contract demands were too high.

It's not that different from Posey. We will find other parts to get the job done.

Rondo, Perk, Baby, Powe and Pruitt will be better and the big 3 are close enough to their prime.

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 04:32:16 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I know Nachbar cant play amazing D but neither could Ray Allen and if we were to resign tony allen then we would have that main defender

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 04:33:15 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
The Spurs had Steven Jackson making their killer 3's like Posey way back when, and they let him walk when his contract demands were too high.
Losing Stephen Jackson cost the Spurs titles. I fully believe they would have three-peated with Jackson on board.

Heck it's 5 years later and the Spurs still haven't managed to replace Jackson.

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 04:33:37 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
mr october you are not realizing that there arent guys like posey and house is likely not going to comeback.

Did you see the remaing free agents left

I like matt barnes, dont think he will be coming here though. Reuben patterson is a headcase

either we make a trade for someone or hope to god giddens and walker will mature up

Because last summer when we had no bench everyone said "there's no need to worry, because James Posey is still available", right?

It's way to early to panic, but if we sign Tony Allen and either House or Cassell and nobody else we'll end up with the best record in the East, if not the league.

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 04:35:41 PM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
If Danny signs Kurt Thomas and Keyon Dooling and Eddie House then everyone will be putting up banner #18.  Have in trust in Danny, will ya!!

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2008, 04:37:35 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
I'm sorry but i am starting to freak out please danny get nachbar he would be loved in Boston heck his name is basically Boston!

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2008, 04:40:22 PM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
Kurt Thomas over Nachbar any day of the week.

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2008, 04:42:25 PM »

Offline Emperor Young

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 25
Nenad Kristic over nachbar any day

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2008, 04:43:11 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
We dont need these big man we need help on the wing I think Leon would be able to do a better job then Kurt Thomas.. Nachbar would fill the need of a shooter/Scorer of the bench

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2008, 04:43:42 PM »

Offline Montrossity

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
I like the way he is handling it.  He is keeping his eyes on a championship again this year without sacrificing the future of the franchise with bad contracts.  How often in the NBA have you seen a team crippled for years because they went for the gold one year and as a result signed a lot of bad contracts that prevented them from ever making their team any better.

As of now, the Celts are perfectly prepared to enter a rebuilding period when the big three get old and leave.  There will be no bad lingering contracts and hopefully there will be a few solid vets (Perk, Rondo, other young players) to be the core at that time.  

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 04:45:38 PM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96

I dont understand what danny truly wants to do. If he wants to make this celtics team a dynasty , its better to give up your young talent for vets, sign guys like posey(make up the luxury tax in the playoffs) or trade one or two of the big three or all of them and rebuild new. You never saw the spurs in the early 2000s do this nor detroit. Even the bulls always had proven vets in their journey to winning 6 in 8 years.

well, The Spurs only won in '99 with Robinson and Duncan, then the Lakers ran off three straight. Let's look at '03 and '05:

'03

Bowen
Claxton
Duncan
Ferry
Ginobli
S. Jackson
Kerr
T Parker
Robinson
Malik Rose
S Smith
Willis

'05
Barry
Bowen
D. Brown
Duncan
Ginobli
Horry
Massenburg
Nazr Mohammed
Nasterovic
G. Robinson
T Parker
Udrich

Now, how similar are those rosters? The core starters are the same, well, Robinson retired, but the role players changed drastically. Players get value and switch teams to get payed, retire, get traded, etc. Given the salary cap in the NBA you can't just have the same team every year. You try and keep your core together, draft well, and find role players that fit in and replace what you have lost.

By not signing Posey to a contract that would prove to be problematic in the future (to sign other players, etc) the Celtics did not just decide to rebuild. They decided that overpaying for Posey would hurt the chances of being a winning team for years to come. His contract would indeed make it more difficult to sign vet free agents in the next few years.

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 04:58:41 PM »

Offline 12417

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
The Celtics are in a better position than any other team in the league right now. The starting 5 is the best in the league. Posey was struggling to get a 1yr deal with a player option for just over half of what he suckered the Hornets into giving him this year. The Celtics aren't going to be built like any other team has been built in the last 15-20 yrs because the model they have now is the same as the Celtics of the 80's. A BIG 3, dominant starting 5, and relatively weak bench that plays better than they look on paper because of the lighter load they have to carry. The market is still ripe with players that are going to end up having to settle for less than their market value and when it comes down to that they will go where they have a chance to win and showcase their ability so that they may 'cash in' next year. The salary cap makes the free agency a zero sum game. Its like musical chairs, when the money runs low and more teams cap out, the music stops and Danny will have his choice of who he wants at a bargain price. Just like last year.

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2008, 05:04:35 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733
Our starters are all still here and our bench are almost all gone. We have so far supplemented those lost on free agent via rookies(giddens, walker, patrick obryant, pruitt) and still have back at least powe and big baby

I dont know if danny is underestimating how important bench players are or if he feels they are interchanable year in and in our while the big three are here but it is an uncomforting situation right now

without our bench last year(and current bench players) i predict this year 10 to 15 games less wins(also consider the fact the east got alot tougher and the big three aging one more year), alot tougher chance to repeat(i dont like the idea facing a lakers team with a healthy bynum this time and with us having no posey)

I dont understand what danny truly wants to do. If he wants to make this celtics team a dynasty , its better to give up your young talent for vets, sign guys like posey(make up the luxury tax in the playoffs) or trade one or two of the big three or all of them and rebuild new. You never saw the spurs in the early 2000s do this nor detroit. Even the bulls always had proven vets in their journey to winning 6 in 8 years.

I think danny wants too many things and in the end it might backfire. I hope not, but he will be walking down an unfarmiliar road for a just winning it championship team

agree, agree, and agree again. you cannot win titles and be in rebuilding mode at the same time. i'm afraid this is more of the Danny micro-manage-make-a-transaction-sign-and-lose-players-every-other-month management style that was going on the previous few years that was burying the franchise. at least Doc learned from his mistakes.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce