Author Topic: Hanging from the rafters / What would Ray & KG have to do to get their numbers retired? (merged)  (Read 19763 times)

Re: Hanging from the Rafters!
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 02:13:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Couple of points to be made.

Walton was not do the 80s team what KG is to these team, so that does not really seem debatable in my mind. 

The debate is whether KG and Ray should have their number up there (Pierce is a foregone conclusion).  My thought is how could you have one without the other (that is also based on them each putting in at least five seasons and one more championship).

I wanted to mention Rondo in my original post, if he continues to improve at this rate, but wanted to keep it to the new comers, Rondo could have plenty of years to show his worth.  I think he has an incredibly high ceiling for the type of player he could become...Rondo's improvement I believe could keep the window open longer for PP, KG, and Ray to win more titles.

Roy-need to change the "Doc COULD learn from coach Dale", I think Doc showed us something about coming back in a big game, where everyone picked you to lose and you were the underdog (in Game 4 particularly).

Yeah it'd be great to see Rondo continue to improve.  10 years from now he'll be the age of KG and Ray... hopefully he will have evolved into an allstar point guard leader with multiple Celtic championships under his belt.  :)

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 02:16:31 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Roy-need to change the "Doc COULD learn from coach Dale", I think Doc showed us something about coming back in a big game, where everyone picked you to lose and you were the underdog (in Game 4 particularly).

Until Doc does the "My team is on the floor" thing with four guys out there, or intentionally gets thrown out of a game to allow his alcoholic assistant coach to step up, he's still behind Norman Dale in my book. ;)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 02:21:35 PM »

Offline celticfan10

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4

Until Doc does the "My team is on the floor" thing with four guys out there, or intentionally gets thrown out of a game to allow his alcoholic assistant coach to step up, he's still behind Norman Dale in my book. ;)

Wow, I like it, I think...however, Doc has more then seven players (I can't remember if thats right or not, I thought they only had one bench player before Chitwood came on). 

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i think that the retiring number thing is overrated. i also think that as things are going between kg and twolves management, even if they retire 21, it'll be a while after kg retires. however, with that said, the celtics tend to be the most lenient with number retiring. if kg continues at this route, he could possibly get a double team retiring for both the wolves and celtics. ray allen however, if they retired kg, will probably get his number retired as well. depends on how he plays in the following years. i don't trust supersonics management to do much for him.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 02:31:14 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Just curious, but would playing Chris Mihm in the Finals be close enough to "My team is on the floor" thing with four guys out there? Although, unlike Norman Dale, I think Phil's losing his fastball.

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 02:35:00 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Just curious, but would playing Chris Mihm in the Finals be close enough to "My team is on the floor" thing with four guys out there? Although, unlike Norman Dale, I think Phil's losing his fastball.

Yeah, no comparing Norman Dale to PJ.  Dale could win games without a star-laden roster.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I'd say at least 2 titles and 4-5 years spent in a Celtics uniform.  I'd use DJ as some sort of guideline for a guy who joined the team later in his career.  He was instrumental in 2 titles and finished his career a Celtic. Although DJ spent 7 years for the C's and joined them more in the middle of his career rather than the end (though it was perceived, by all but Red, that he was on the downside when he was acquired). 

Still, he's a pretty good comparison I think.  2 titles gets you in the rafters.

Yup

Garnett and Ray get their #s in the rafters?
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 09:31:39 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
If KG and Shuttlesworth win 2 more championships after this with the C's do they get their numbers retired?  if they win one more?

Re: Garnett and Ray get their #s in the rafters?
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 09:35:15 PM »

Offline bbc3341

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 23
I think if they each play out there careers here and there is more post season success, they might... But not after only one season, not matter how great it was.
Now, on to 18...

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
It would require more time invested than at present, and while I don't think a certain number of championships is needed to secure a place in Celtic lore, that would definitely help!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
Quick question; Has any player ever had his number retired twice by two seperate teams before?

I'm not sure at all but the only player I can think of who may have got this would be Wilt...

Offline Triboy16

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 24
Three titles. It doesn't have to be straight in a row. It can't be so simple to put up your name up there like that. Ainge for example should not be considered to be up there just cuz as a gm he helped us win.

Three titles and kg and ray allen can go up the rafters is only fitting

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Quick question; Has any player ever had his number retired twice by two seperate teams before?

I'm not sure at all but the only player I can think of who may have got this would be Wilt...

Wilt's number has been retired by three teams (Lakers, 76ers, Warriors)

Michael Jordan's number was retired by the Bulls and Heat(!!)

Pete Maravich's number was retired by the Utah Jazz and New Orleans Hornets (despite never having played for the Hornets).

Moses Malone's number was retired by the Rockets, and "taken out of circulation" by the 76ers

Other double-retirees:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Bucks, Lakers)
Charles Barkley (76ers, Suns) 
Clyde Drexler (Blazers, Rockets)   
Julius Erving (Nets, 76ers) 
Bob Lanier (Bucks, Pistons)
Oscar Robertson (Bucks, Kings/Royals) 
Nate Thurmond (Warriors, Cavs)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 10:21:06 PM by Roy Hobbs »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Ainge for example should not be considered to be up there just cuz as a gm he helped us win.

Ainge was also a starter on the 1984 and 1986 title teams.  He played in four NBA Finals with us.

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
I think the Celtics retire too many numbers. You don't see the Red Soxc, Yankees, or Lakers retire so many numbers. I'm all for honoring players, but maybe with a night and/or their name up in the rafters. Since Garnett's 21 is already retired by the C's, if he leads us to another championship or 2, maybe we could put a KG up there or something. But is it the worse thing in the world not to have your number or name up there? I think a minimum requirement for having your number retired is a HOF career, while playing your career predominantly for the Celtics.